"There's a road I'd like to tell you about...

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
...lives in my home town. Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it'll take you up or down."

Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is one of those select stretches of road to be memorialized in song. The lyrics above were penned by Skip Haynes and became the band Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah's one pop hit, "Lake Shore Drive" in 1971. Interestingly enough, it was recorded on my 9th birthday - August 7, 1970.

The idea of a CB1100 ride along this famed roadway was hatched as a result of specialist8's post this spring featuring an aerial photo of The Drive. It developed into a morning-long trip from Chicago's famed Museum Campus, north as far as prestigious Lake Forest, and ending at a soon to be iconic diner in Deefield. Eight of us committed to the ride and we were fortunate enough to only have two riders with last-minute conflicts. Setchman and drodg were missed, but I'm sure that there will be another CB1100 Forum - Chicagoland Chapter ride in the future.

The weather was absolutely perfect for riding by the time that Fritzwilliger (Bill) and I met on the north side of the city to ride together to the rendezvous point. Veech (Vic) and Stratus (Richard) also rode in together, I believe, and talked to each other wirelessly on the way in and on the ride itself - the latter communication no doubt criticizing my riding skills, but maybe I'm just paranoid Having five great riders watching my every move. Specialist8 (Dave) and Todd_K (Todd, just in case there was some doubt) eounded out the group.

Seeing Fritzwilliger arrive on time for our pre-meet up was a good omen. I chose to ignore the sign in the background as any sort of foreshadowing....
98ed0918bc823ff8d3b9b3412c9ffa4e.jpg


Proving that it's not only nostalgic, middle-aged men whose heads are turned by the CB1100's classic lines. Women and even dogs can't keep their eyes off it...
83567e2dd3a27d133875bd52ccb0ce8e.jpg


The Field Museum of Natural History came into being as a result of The World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. They had a motto in the 60s that went something like "The Field Museum brings the world to Chicago." A fitting place, I think, for a gathering of these motorcycles that pay their own homage to history. On a personal note, my grandfather worked as a guard at the museum when I was a kid.

Everyone was on time and excited for the ride...
ad4be3ee1d2e1743ce63b070cd940c1c.jpg


(More to come, but I'm heading out for the afternoon).
 
EmptySea_imp said:
...lives in my home town. Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it'll take you up or down."

Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is one of those select stretches of road to be memorialized in song. The lyrics above were penned by Skip Haynes and became the band Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah's one pop hit, "Lake Shore Drive" in 1971. Interestingly enough, it was recorded on my 9th birthday - August 7, 1970.

The idea of a CB1100 ride along this famed roadway was hatched as a result of specialist8's post this spring featuring an aerial photo of The Drive. It developed into a morning-long trip from Chicago's famed Museum Campus, north as far as prestigious Lake Forest, and ending at a soon to be iconic diner in Deefield. Eight of us committed to the ride and we were fortunate enough to only have two riders with last-minute conflicts. Setchman and drodg were missed, but I'm sure that there will be another CB1100 Forum - Chicagoland Chapter ride in the future.

The weather was absolutely perfect for riding by the time that Fritzwilliger (Bill) and I met on the north side of the city to ride together to the rendezvous point. Veech (Vic) and Stratus (Richard) also rode in together, I believe, and talked to each other wirelessly on the way in and on the ride itself - the latter communication no doubt criticizing my riding skills, but maybe I'm just paranoid Having five great riders watching my every move. Specialist8 (Dave) and Todd_K (Todd, just in case there was some doubt) eounded out the group.

Seeing Fritzwilliger arrive on time for our pre-meet up was a good omen. I chose to ignore the sign in the background as any sort of foreshadowing....
98ed0918bc823ff8d3b9b3412c9ffa4e.jpg


Proving that it's not only nostalgic, middle-aged men whose heads are turned by the CB1100's classic lines. Women and even dogs can't keep their eyes off it...
83567e2dd3a27d133875bd52ccb0ce8e.jpg


The Field Museum of Natural History came into being as a result of The World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. They had a motto in the 60s that went something like "The Field Museum brings the world to Chicago." A fitting place, I think, for a gathering of these motorcycles that pay their own homage to history. On a personal note, my grandfather worked as a guard at the museum when I was a kid.

Everyone was on time and excited for the ride...
ad4be3ee1d2e1743ce63b070cd940c1c.jpg


(More to come, but I'm heading out for the afternoon).
I believe it was 1893 my friend. A tad bit of dyslexia happening for ya? :P

 
More, please, MTC.
 
Thread starter
Fritzwilliger and I arrived early and decided to scout out where our next photo stop should be. Believe it or not, this spot was rejected as not being picturesque enough....
d9324c8fc8bc2e9e2c794a57c1f06619.jpg


As you can see, there's more than one way to travel on two wheels in Chicago. Should we have given them "the wave"?
d57d94048845c7cc6661531beb51a97f.jpg


Fritzwilliger spent quite a bit of time at the early stops making note of the differences between the 2013 Standard and the 2014 DLX. Recalling The Ferret's extensive list, I was able to point out some of the less obvious ones, but even I didn't know that they added a kickstarter to the DLX version...
e20b9952b9b1ced3a173271e56d2e79e.jpg


Bill and I returned to the meet up spot and most of the rest of the group was already assembled. Introductions were had and much attention was paid to the two bikes most different from the rest: Todd's black 2014 and Vic's Comet-nosed 2013. I would like to say here that while I made several disparaging comments about the black bike, those comments were in jest and the black Standard is a truly a beautiful machine. For anyone considering the Road Comet, it is a perfect fit on this bike. Pictures do not do it justice.

"Make no small plans" - Daniel Burnham
"Form ever follows function" - Louis Sullivan
"Less is more" - Ludwig Mies van der Rhoe

Since 1871, when high winds, dry conditions, and a spark combined to burn down virtually the entire city, Chicago has become known for its magnificent architecture, and especially for its skyscrapers. In this picture, the more picturesque spot found in our pre-game scouting, you not only see six of the most beautiful motorcycles ever made, but also at least 5 of the 100 tallest skyscrapers in the world. For fans of architecture, particularly large-scale architecture, this skyline is one of the most beautiful horizons ever created by man...
d4131aab9314b1813e6bd210c55c309a.jpg


6dee8824fd8d0701731eab87f7e6a799.jpg
 
You covered up the SEARS tower with the tree...lol.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
...lives in my home town. Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it'll take you up or down."

Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is one of those select stretches of road to be memorialized in song. The lyrics above were penned by Skip Haynes and became the band Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah's one pop hit, "Lake Shore Drive" in 1971. Interestingly enough, it was recorded on my 9th birthday - August 7, 1970.

The idea of a CB1100 ride along this famed roadway was hatched as a result of specialist8's post this spring featuring an aerial photo of The Drive. It developed into a morning-long trip from Chicago's famed Museum Campus, north as far as prestigious Lake Forest, and ending at a soon to be iconic diner in Deefield. Eight of us committed to the ride and we were fortunate enough to only have two riders with last-minute conflicts. Setchman and drodg were missed, but I'm sure that there will be another CB1100 Forum - Chicagoland Chapter ride in the future.

The weather was absolutely perfect for riding by the time that Fritzwilliger (Bill) and I met on the north side of the city to ride together to the rendezvous point. Veech (Vic) and Stratus (Richard) also rode in together, I believe, and talked to each other wirelessly on the way in and on the ride itself - the latter communication no doubt criticizing my riding skills, but maybe I'm just paranoid Having five great riders watching my every move. Specialist8 (Dave) and Todd_K (Todd, just in case there was some doubt) eounded out the group.

Seeing Fritzwilliger arrive on time for our pre-meet up was a good omen. I chose to ignore the sign in the background as any sort of foreshadowing....
98ed0918bc823ff8d3b9b3412c9ffa4e.jpg


Proving that it's not only nostalgic, middle-aged men whose heads are turned by the CB1100's classic lines. Women and even dogs can't keep their eyes off it...
83567e2dd3a27d133875bd52ccb0ce8e.jpg


The Field Museum of Natural History came into being as a result of The World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. They had a motto in the 60s that went something like "The Field Museum brings the world to Chicago." A fitting place, I think, for a gathering of these motorcycles that pay their own homage to history. On a personal note, my grandfather worked as a guard at the museum when I was a kid.

Everyone was on time and excited for the ride...
ad4be3ee1d2e1743ce63b070cd940c1c.jpg


(More to come, but I'm heading out for the afternoon).
Great Photos EmptySea. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years when I first got out of college. It's a fantastic city. Best skyline on the planet (IMHO)! And, thanks to the grid on which the roads are built, it's actually pretty easy to get around!
 
I love your work, EmptySea.
 
awesome report Sea, can't wait for the rest. A real contrast to the pics I posted up from my local ride today.
 
Thread starter
Buckingham Fountain, in the heart of Grant Park, is one of the largest fountains in the world. It's design represents Lake Michigan, which it overlooks, with its four featured sea horses honoring the lake's bordering states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. It was dedicated in 1927 and has been welcoming countless visitors to this great city ever since.
5949a8e7b86edb61ee217b43fdc36d7c.jpg


The gentlemen in the above photo are facing west and are looking at more than just the camera because Buckingham Fountain also marks what was once the beginning of or, depending on your perspective, the end of another road immortalized in song - Route 66.

The road of Tom Joad. Of Nat King Cole. Of Wyatt and Billy. Of Tod Stiles andBuz Murdock. The Main Street of America. The Will Rogers Highway. The Mother Road. It started here, at the intersection of Columbus Drive and Congress Parkway...
3712a81fdf663e70b011b9079ebf3443.jpg


"If you ever plan to motor west..."

306ecc5c060f18b3b6a5b8d153a66050.jpg


This day, though, we planned to motor north so time to remount and take a hit of LSD.
 
Love it! Great photos! Next time if brave start at the Science and Industry Museum for the full deal. What a great city and ride.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
My original plan was to start near the MSI, but I shortened the route in order to accommodate folks coming from the north. If I were to organize another trip on this ride, we'd meet at 7:00am at the MSI (actually, just a wee bit south of there at a point of interest that I will keep secret for now) so that we could ride the Drive with as little traffic interference as possible.
 
Going farther south can get rough. I grew up 3 blocks off 72nd and Stony Island.
Could start at President Obama's house near the Univ of Chicago.

Beautiful place when I grew up there in the 1960s. I would not loiter around there now days on the CB1100.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The group ride on Lake Shore Drive essentially began at the intersection of Jackson Blvd. and Lake Shore Drive. During one of its many routings and re-routings, this was the eastern terminus of Rt.66. My day's journey on the Drive, along with Fritzwilliger's, began at Hollywood Ave. at the very north end of it.

Bill was a pleasure to ride with. He kept himself in my mirror, closed the gap between us when I approached a stale green light and rode very predictably. I look forward to riding with him again.

Lake Shore Drive starts at Hollywood now, but many many years ago it started at Foster Ave., not very far from where the picture below was taken. The eight lane road on which we were riding is indeed Lake Shore Drive, but there are, in a way, two Lake Shore Drives. The other one is the original, mostly two laned, street. Many Chicagoans refer to this road as "The Inner Drive" and our road for the day as "The Outer Drive". Much of the north end of the Outer Drive was built on landfill created with debris from other highway projects, most notably the Eisenhower Expressway which was originally named the Congress Exoressway and which was part of, you guessed it, Route 66. Make note of the pale pink (coral?) and white building behind Bill as I will address this landmark when the whole lot of us pass it on the way north...
da75ba924ee5ace5f3f7c005ac6f005d.jpg


The Outer Drive has only a few curves and almost no elevation changes. There happens to be a slight turn and a short bridge spanning the entrance to Diversey Harbor that combine to provide this great first look of downtown Chicago...
c313e248b65f52efd5e9f108503657ad.jpg


Bill and I had a wonderful ride down the Drive and I'm sure he was as excited as I was at the sight of the Hancock Building before us. It meant that we would soon be meeting a small group of like-minded individuals with whom to share the ride back north.
Elipten_imp said:
Going farther south can get rough. I grew up 3 blocks off 72nd and Stony Island.
Could start at President Obama's house near the Univ of Chicago.

Beautiful place when I grew up there in the 1960s. I would not loiter around there now days on the CB1100.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be too worried in the early morning and in a group. This picture was taken a few years ago when I was riding a CBR250r. My mom went to high school here in the late 1930s. I actually plan to ride the entire length of LSD from north to south the next time I ride to Michigan.

21349fc1fa9c962871b465e3b2376476.jpg
 
ES, I fear you don't get much sleep, but I'm enjoying the story as it unfolds.
 
No good that. Hope it passes quickly.
 
Back
Top