Them ugly side covers.

Ghis_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
From day 1, I hated those silver side covers on my new '13 CB. I had decided the minute I signed the papers that they would have to go. My options ranged from having them color matched to the tank, order them already painted, or replace them with the 14' CB STD black ones which would blend with the black frame and other parts, for a cleaner look. Recently, I have finally noticed that the pin stripes on the red tank actually match the side covers! I also realized that those ugly silver side covers are actually the only immediate visual clue that you are riding an original first year to the US market '13 CB1100. Really, nothing else gives it away faster than those in your face silver covers. I think the silver side covers are now staying... What other details about your CB did you hate at first that has now grown on you?
 
I hated the coloration change on the head pipes of my 13, and it never did grow on me. Wasn't fond of the silver side covers either. Loved the bike, hated those two items.

Love the chrome waterfall head pipes on my 14 and the color matched side covers. I also color matched the headlight bucket, while I never hated the black bucket, it looks better color matched. Same goes with black instrument cups. Didn't hate them, but they look better in chrome.
 
The few things a didn't like was the side covers, exhaust, painted rims and engine.

Side covers changed to black
Exhaust changed to black
Wish my rims where not painted (but I'll live with it)
Motor has grown on me & with the other changes looks fine

 
Ghis_imp said:
From day 1, I hated those silver side covers on my new '13 CB. I had decided the minute I signed the papers that they would have to go. My options ranged from having them color matched to the tank, order them already painted, or replace them with the 14' CB STD black ones which would blend with the black frame and other parts, for a cleaner look. Recently, I have finally noticed that the pin stripes on the red tank actually match the side covers! I also realized that those ugly silver side covers are actually the only immediate visual clue that you are riding an original first year to the US market '13 CB1100. Really, nothing else gives it away faster than those in your face silver covers. I think the silver side covers are now staying... What other details about your CB did you hate at first that has now grown on you?
I don't have a CB yet, I like the silver side covers! When I first saw the red ones, they didn't look as good to me. Now I like them too.
 
I put on a chrome chain guard and don't like the plastic gearshift cover. Might replace that someday. After adding RLETs, well, nuff said! ;)
 
I'm probably not a good person to discuss this subject:

456bcfdcaac5b987487cefedc37f5c6a.jpg
 
Don't like the silver side cover but have not yet decided what to do about it, go with a gloss black or red. A small peeve is the black motor as that finish only compliments the all black 2014 Standard. I did rid the bike of it's plastic engine sprocket cover and replaced with one from a 2014 DLX. The reflectors were the first thing I trashed as soon as I got the bike home. Reflectors detract from the look of any bike IMO. I replaced the taillight with a smaller Lucas style LED unit but had to replace it with the OE light when the LED board in the Lucas light gave problems.
 
Okay...we should start a swap-meet page for those of us who want to change our colors!

I have the black tank and side plates...hate them. HATE. Of course mine is the STD with the black engine...it would look SO slick with red tank/sides...it SCREAMS for a swap.

So...any takers. set up an organized swapper-outter page? I have immaculate black sides; and a black tank that got scratched from an idiot sitting up on it when I had it parked in public. No dents and no big issues...I want RED.
 
Gentlemen,

At first I didn't like the silver side covers but they do match the trim stripe on the beautiful blood red tank. I saw another member install a matching silver Road Comet fairing and I really liked that so I duplicated it. No stripes on the silver fairing and side covers, red tank with matching silver trim. I really like it now.

Chip

 
I've been thinking of getting Road Comet and Chip's looks just great! I like the color combination of the bike. Chip, you gonna be upset if I get one like that?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I've been thinking of getting Road Comet and Chip's looks just great! I like the color combination of the bike. Chip, you gonna be upset if I get one like that?
Pop,

Heck no. I copied it after seeing another member's silver fairing. This Forum allows us all the ability to look at countless mods and to duplicate what we like best. Have at it bro.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

At first I didn't like the silver side covers but they do match the trim stripe on the beautiful blood red tank. I saw another member install a matching silver Road Comet fairing and I really liked that so I duplicated it. No stripes on the silver fairing and side covers, red tank with matching silver trim. I really like it now.

Chip



I think the fairing balances out the silver nicely. The silver covers by themselves looked out of place to me. I never did understand the silver side covers on the beautiful red bike . Nice job Chip.
 
Back
Top