Theft Deterrent

2017EX_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I wanted something compact that would be effective, and that I could carry either on my bike, or in a pocket to deter theft. I have a heavy hardened hex link chain and shackle, long enough to pass through the frame and around an immovable object for long term storage and over nights, but it is not practical to lug around for every day riding. If I was commuting to work every day, I would leave the chain at work to lock up my bike while at work, but happily, I am retired.

Unfortunately the ignition and fork locks on most motorcycles are unbelievably easy to defeat, with a simple tool, and physical force. That got me onto disc locks to prevent the bike from being rolled away. If a pro really wants your bike, has the tools to defeat whatever you have, a crew, a van, trailer, pick up truck, etc., he is going to take it. Consequently, I think the most effective deterrent for every day riding is something that you always have with you, and more than just relying on the ignition and fork locks.

I settled on this disc lock by Bully Locks: Amazon.com, not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. It fits the brake rotors on the CB1100, and is compact, but appears to be very well made. I considered an alarm lock, but most people these days are oblivious to vehicle alarms, and false alarms are a nuisance.

Currently I have one of these locks that I bought to try out. Having exceeded my expectations, I will be buying a second one, so that I can lock both front and rear brake discs. This will prevent any forward and backwards rolling.

A friend gave me some draw string bags for the 50 Ml size mini bottles of Crown Royal, which I found worked great for my disc lock kit. I added a "remove before flight" red tag, and substituted a rubber band for the split key ring it came with. The rubber band stretches over one of my mirrors as a reminder, and folded in half, the red tag fits inside the Crown bag. Lastly I wrapped self adhesive Trimbrite Body Guard clear Mylar around the lock body so there would be no metal on metal contact between the lock body and the front fork leg, or the rear brake caliper, for front or rear disc use. The Trimbrite is great stuff with good adhesive, and is about 13 Mil thick. Two lock sets in separate bags with keys and a red flag fit in the tray under the seat with lots of room to spare, so I will have them with me all the time to use when I need them. Although a little heavy, they will fit easily in a jacket pocket as well.

Nothing is fool proof, so if someone gets past my every day precautions, then I will consider it what insurance is for.
 
Looks a solid unit, 2017EX.
 
I would have a lock a bit like that which also had a small moving sensor alarm built in which I thought was decent protection. Then my bike was stolen in the centre of Geneva during the afternoon by four guys in a van. They just stopped behind the bike, got out and lifted the bike in the back and drove off. After that I just couldn't be bothered with a lock anymore.

Around here if somebody wants to steal a bike they will.
 
Thread starter
Henrik, That is one of the reasons I did not spend the extra money to get alarm locks, or spend the extra money to get more expensive locks. For me, doing something practical, and more than relying on the ignition and fork locks made sense. But, as you noted, and I mentioned in my post, if a thief wants to steal your bike bad enough, they will, whether it is here in the U.S., or in Switzerland.
 
I have close to 40,000 miles on mine. I'd probably get more from the insurance company if someone stole it, than I could selling it outright lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have close to 40,000 miles on mine. I'd probably get more from the insurance company if someone stole it, than I could selling it outright lol.
Difficult to steal when it is ALWAYS in motion!
 
I ride the back roads of cottage country which is the land of pick-up trucks. However finding enough thieves dumb enough to steal a 560 pound one-of-a-kind motorcycle would be unlikely. If I road a quad, I would be more concerned as they are used for chores, hunting, fishing, and runs to the general store in these areas.
 
I use the Kryptonight disc lock and put it on the rear wheel. No alarm but it’s a solid chunk of metal.

I like the idea of the bag. I store it under the seat and can swear I hear it rattling around. Guess I better start drinking....
 
Nice write up on this 2017EX. I would use a rotor lock if I was concerned. Generally, remembering to take the key out of the helmet lock before I walk away is about the best theft deterrent I can usually muster.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Nice write up on this 2017EX. I would use a rotor lock if I was concerned. Generally, remembering to take the key out of the helmet lock before I walk away is about the best theft deterrent I can usually muster.
ROTFL!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Nice write up on this 2017EX. I would use a rotor lock if I was concerned. Generally, remembering to take the key out of the helmet lock before I walk away is about the best theft deterrent I can usually muster.
LOL same here and i do not insure Motorcycles but do lock the fork every now and then .
 
use2b_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Nice write up on this 2017EX. I would use a rotor lock if I was concerned. Generally, remembering to take the key out of the helmet lock before I walk away is about the best theft deterrent I can usually muster.
LOL same here and i do not insure Motorcycles but do lock the fork every now and then .
Mine is fully insured, so other than being stranded somewhere remote, I do not worry about theft. Rarely lock the forks, as I prefer to park with handlebars to the right.

I do lock them when leaving the bike in a trail-head parking lot and I expect to be some distance away.
 
I play the odds on Insurance . Had bikes for 54 years and none got stolen or damaged except my 1969 CB750 was taken when i was in Vietnam . had to leave on 24 hr notice so i wouldn't have had time anyway and now a loss is acceptable considering how much money i saved not having insurance. Just me , I will always be the odd man out but live life by the beat of my own drum. Last worked when I was 37 and set for life :thumbsup:
 
In the fall of 1971, my Honda CL350 K2 was stolen behind my college dorm building in the northern New York village of Potsdam. A CB175 next to my CL was untouched. Up to that point, no one on campus locked their motorcycles. After that, heavy chains and padlocks became the norm for securing campus motorcycles.
I understand that the Honda 350s were the most stolen motorcycle in those days (of course, there were a lot of them around).
 
Back
Top