The wife wants to ride... but not on 2 wheels

LongRanger_imp said:
I'm not laughing. A ZX10R as a first bike for anybody, regardless of age, seems a bit excessive in my book. Of course, I bought a new CB750F the day I turned 18 (and lived to tell about it), but that was different, right?
Yes, that was different.:thumbsup:
 
ride4now_imp said:
I was waiting for Chaponis to chime in because I thought I remembered reading about his new CanAm. To answer a few questions, it would not be for her to ride by herself, but for her to ride 'with' me. I often feel guilty about going out for a ride, taking a day to be by myself and while she never really gives me a hard time, it weighs on me since I still work...and work ALOT. Having a way for her to join me on a ride would be fun. I rode a CanAm at Daytona a few years ago and liked it. While I wouldn't trade any of my 2 wheelers in for a CanAm to ride exclusively, I might consider it as a way for her to join in on the fun. And if it'll fit on my utility trailer, it might even join us on vacations too. That would be extra fun!
We are both retired and going out by myself or with friends brings on the guilt. She says she doesn't mind if I go off riding without her, but I do. We plan trips around the CanAm May through November and tow it on an open trailer, which doesn't compromise the gas mileage too much. We also like the height of our Spyder RT, which is about 4" higher than other Spyders.
 
Back in the day we weren't old enough to have back days. :P

Given that some people like trikes I'd prefer a small sports car. Especially when you compare costs. For the cost of a nice Can-Am you can have a convertible with AC and heat, radio, seat belts, air bags and a cage. Proper seats that don't induce butt burn or a desire to spend big bucks to replace. It has a boot to stash stuff in so you CAN tour without having to noodle out what luggage to get. I bet the mileage is better too.

So I don't get the trike thing. There is one model I've seen that does lean and I'd consider that. But if you can't lean, give me a car.

OK, a Morgan would be cool, but at $50K it ain't happening. :D
 
Tink,

My wife has not rode with me since we where teenager either.

RE: the Can-Am

My ridding buddy just sold his after 10,000 miles. Its a great slab runner but gets real old after two hours on the back roads. On our all day rides i switch up with him to give him a break. He's a A bicyclist with a lot of endurance but the can-am requires much more energy than a motorcycle.
 
My sister has a CanAm and loves it. Her hubs has a KTM big a** adventure something or other. They both chased me around last Sunday and had a great time. I'm amazed really, she rides that thing ALL THE TIME.
Anyone nearby, there are Can Am demo rides at Daytona Bike Week and Fall Cycle Scene. Plan to spend a little time in Daytona and don't forget, camping in the Speedway infield is FREE!!!!!!!
 
CIP57_imp said:
Tink,

My wife has not rode with me since we where teenager either.

RE: the Can-Am

My ridding buddy just sold his after 10,000 miles. Its a great slab runner but gets real old after two hours on the back roads. On our all day rides i switch up with him to give him a break. He's a A bicyclist with a lot of endurance but the can-am requires much more energy than a motorcycle.
Yeah, that's kind of what I've heard, primarily on curvy roads. Again, I have no first-hand experience.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
Tink,

My wife has not rode with me since we where teenager either.

RE: the Can-Am

My ridding buddy just sold his after 10,000 miles. Its a great slab runner but gets real old after two hours on the back roads. On our all day rides i switch up with him to give him a break. He's a A bicyclist with a lot of endurance but the can-am requires much more energy than a motorcycle.
Yeah, that's kind of what I've heard, primarily on curvy roads. Again, I have no first-hand experience.
Yeah, that's kind of what I've heard, primarily on curvy roads. Again, I have no first-hand experience.
So that's why i'm so tired after riding mine for 8+ hours a day, 4 days strait....and I thought it was all the sun and fresh mountain air :D I agree, if your trying to carve corners on a Spyder, it requires way more energy than 2 wheels. At speed limit +-5, no.
 
The wife rides her own bike VFR1200 I was the one that wanted 3 wheels after having both hips replaced. So I sold the Goldwing and bought a Polaris Slingshot and have been very happy with it. It has a much wider wheelbase than the Can Am and uses a GM 2.4 liter Ecotec engine rather than a snowmobile engine like the Can Am. Not putting the Can Am down at all just pointing out a difference. The slingshot has side by side seating and is much more stable to ride. Take your wife to a Slingshot dealer and take one for a test ride you might be surprised. This is a picture of my wife and I at Deals Gap with her bike and my slingshot
 
I'm new to this forum but let me suggest that before you go to the dark side AKA Can Am that you join Spyderlovers.com
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/index.php
Read about the dreaded DESS issues, belt vibrations, tire issues, removal of what they call Tupperware to service it, the lack of concern from BRP about problems, alignment issues, sway bars, shocks, air ride problems, I could go on and on. I just dumped a 2014 RT Limited and I will never own another BRP anything.
 
A little more on the Can Am I owned for about 6 months and sold.
Luckily I bought it used (had 1400 miles on it) sold it with 1900 miles so I didn't take a bath.
If you want more info PM me.
 
I have had a new RT for 2 years now. No issues, yet. The wife and I love it, get to do a lot on it. Maybe the previous owner abused yours ?
 
Chapomis_imp said:
I have had a new RT for 2 years now. No issues, yet. The wife and I love it, get to do a lot on it. Maybe the previous owner abused yours ?
Maybe but I don't think so. More like the dealer did a crappy setup on it and I had to fix it. I'll wait for Honda to come out with a 3 wheeler.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
I have had a new RT for 2 years now. No issues, yet. The wife and I love it, get to do a lot on it. Maybe the previous owner abused yours ?
Maybe but I don't think so. More like the dealer did a crappy setup on it and I had to fix it. I'll wait for Honda to come out with a 3 wheeler.
Maybe but I don't think so. More like the dealer did a crappy setup on it and I had to fix it. I'll wait for Honda to come out with a 3 wheeler.
I'd buy one
 
Back
Top