The Undecider's Other Motorcycle Madness

Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
The 650L is a lot heavier than the Rally - I have a 650L (since 2010, just turned 6000 miles!). But it is not nearly as top heavy as the 650L. But I think it is too heavy for a 250.

A buddy has a 250 Sherpa - he really likes it. Although he prefers the DR650.

I think you need a job far from a motorcycle dealership. :D
If you believe Honda's published curb weights for the 650L and 250 Rally, they are within 4-5 lbs of each other. The 650 is a top heavy SOB. I spent a lot of time shuffling bikes around the showroom and that 250 Rally has some heft to it. I might have some doubts about the accuracy of the listed weights, but I think those two bikes are pretty doggone close to each other.

I wonder if I had bought a DR650 instead of my XR650L if I would liked it more. I could tell it is a better bike on pavement from the little I have ridden one. My Super Sherpa goes down the road nicer than the 650L, albeit with less power. It is smoother and more comfortable.

I actually started another job about 3 weeks ago. Probably good that I did both from a health and safety standpoint, but also economically. I won't be as tempted to buy stuff, but I suspect our economy is in for a major retraction and a motorcycle dealer is not the type of business that weathers that particularly well. Where I am now working is much more secure. Social distancing has kept me out of the various area dealers since I switched jobs. While I am still getting out for short rides, I am not going and hanging out at the dealers like I had planned when I stopped being held hostage at the one where I worked.
 
I've added a few things to my 650L (wolfman pannier racks, larger foot pegs etc.) and it tops out at 380lbs now. Gah! After the 3rd or 4th nap I'm pretty well shot. :D

I've only sat on a Rally in the show room and it feels a LOT lighter. Knowing what I know now, I'd go with the DR650. I'm considering a DR350, SO much lighter!
 
Back
Top