the ultimate signal minder is you

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am sure the reader is plenty familiar with the dangers of a forgotten signal when you arriving at the following intersection. How many of us have promised themself "won't let it happen again", only to get angry looks from one misguided driver a few days later.... if you're lucky.

There are plenty of electronic gadgets on the market, but their shops' websites design are more than often better than that of the "signal minders". Some don't do it, some don't last, some need constant attention. If you doubt my words, look up your fave rave on Amazon, and go to the comments section. None of them gets away without unhappy comments.

The solution ? A sort of mnemonics, trick your mind. Here is what works like a charm for me. It will work for you if you follow the simple instructions without thinking too much about it:
a) go out and ride
b) when you arrive at any intersection, any time, all the time, turn your signal off
c) when you see opposing traffic with a left signal on, turn your signal off
d) when somebody pulls out from a driveway on your right, turn your signal off.

Did you notice, I didn't say turn it off IF it was on ? I said and I mean, turn if off regardless... After 3 days of riding like this it becomes a habit, sth you don't have to think about, just like looking in the mirror.
Please do not trash the idea before you gave it a tried. It may save your life tomorrow, and let me know if it worked for you.
 
What you're describing is the same paranoid tick that all motorcyclists develop after a few months on the road. sometimes i click that button just because i haven't clicked it in a few minutes.
 
I do the same - push the button randomly while I ride just to make sure.

A few weeks ago, I took a coworker's old car home to fix her brakes. The car's turn signal cancel function was broken. Bad enough on a motorycle.. must have driven for miles with the turn signals flashing before I glanced down and realized that they didn't cancel. She said it's been like that for years.
 
What Gone said
1cbef5a44107106c5ab9395c5d67dfa7.png
just randomly keep pushing it every so often, sometimes a few times in a row until it "feels right". I used to do that with a car handbrake button as well back in the day when cars had handbrakes

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I hadn't done this in years with my last two bikes conditioning me with their self cancelling indicators. After getting the old Triumph Daytona back on the road and the CB1100 I find myself often and randomly hitting the button again now.
 
Good post :thumbsup:
I've trained myself to frequently "turn off" the signal as I ride along.
I won't say that I'm 100% reliable at it, but reasonably reliable and it's somewhat of a habit. I haven't caused any near misses or ticked off any cagers.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
What you're describing is the same paranoid tick that all motorcyclists develop after a few months on the road. sometimes i click that button just because i haven't clicked it in a few minutes.
That is pretty well my life story. :dodgy:
 
Sort of like how I periodically pull the clutch in and kick up... just to make sure I didn't forget a gear.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Sort of like how I periodically pull the clutch in and kick up... just to make sure I didn't forget a gear.
I can't break myself of this habit. Then again, I'm riding a 250 that turns 5k and 50, 6k and 60, 7k at 70, etc.

Speaking of gears, a pretty good turn-cancellation algorithm could be built around not being in first or second gear after not being in second gear for some period of time.
[li]Turn in first or second gear[/li] [li]Accelerate and shift to third[/li] [li]Accelerate and shift to fourth[/li] [li]Cancel turn signal
[/li]
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Sort of like how I periodically pull the clutch in and kick up... just to make sure I didn't forget a gear.
... that elusive 7th gear (or 6th if '13 CB1100).
... that elusive 7th gear (or 6th if '13 CB1100).
6th gear - the impossible dream.
 
Good one. What about a slight variation as follows? Mine in red.

Stichill_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Sort of like how I periodically pull the clutch in and kick up... just to make sure I didn't forget a gear.
I can't break myself of this habit. Then again, I'm riding a 250 that turns 5k and 50, 6k and 60, 7k at 70, etc.

Speaking of gears, a pretty good turn-cancellation algorithm could be built around not being in first or second gear after not being in second gear for some period of time.
[li]Turn in first or second gear[/li] [li]Accelerate and shift to third[/li] [li]Accelerate and shift to fourth[/li] [li]Cancel turn signal
[/li]
 
Thread starter
Tried your procedure today, and yes, that works as well. In both cases you just have to do it every time ... for a short while.
Thanks Stich and Cormanus
 
Three or four of the bikes I've test ridden this year had cancelling turn signals, and I could not care less. I'd notice in some form of amazement how it actually works, and then hit the button again just to be sure, and to satisfy my ADD. One thing I did notice was that the CB1100 button is one of the better. Both location and function satisfies, unlike many others. I ranted about how unbelievably awesome the HD Pan America is, but I really hated the controls. It made me think of how a lot of hand tools are too big for most women, and how they have to make up techniques to use them, since the industry (and guys on FB) just doesn't care. :D
Harleys are obviously made for bigger guys than me.
 
Back
Top