The Truth?

The Spaceman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Does this describe you?

"The target owner for a bike such as the CB1100 isn't a guy who is looking to be a part of an image; he is a rider who genuinely wants a quality motorcycle. He isn't concerned with trying to fit into a subculture of motorcycle people or join a club. He is a rider who made the decision to buy a bike based on reason; he wants something comfortable, fast and reasonably priced, and without doubt, the CB1100 hits all those marks."

Arthur Coldwells 8/1/2013
 
That's a good descriptive reason of why I bought my CB's. Although, they didn't mention aesthetics, I wouldn't have bought the bike unless it was pleasing to my eye...
 
If Honda would have marketed to the same target customers that this guy describes, they probably would have sold a few more of them. Their main promotional video seemed to me just to be some guy putting around without doing anything in particular while having some kind of Zen inner peace experience. I'm glad I didn't see that vid first or I wouldnt have got such a boring ride...... But in fact it is much more than depicted in the video.
 
Fits me too. The aesthetic was important to me.
 
Doesn't fit me at all. Here's my version:

"The target owner for a bike such as the CB1100 isn't a guy who is looking to be a part of an image; he is a rider who genuinely wants a quality motorcycle. He isn't concerned with trying to fit into a subculture of motorcycle people or join a club. He is a rider who made the decision to buy a bike based on emotion--his chance to take a trip down Memory Lane, rekindling the fun he enjoyed as a new rider in the 1980's. A chance to once again own a UJM--bikes that were tasked with filling many roles, in the days before motorcycle design became much more focused to a certain role. A bike that's perfectly happy performing light touring duty, commuter duty, or backroad canyon dancing. And without doubt, the CB1100 hits all those marks."

Thumper 1/5/2014

:D
 
That's me ..... as well :banana:
 
Quote:"The target owner for a bike such as the CB1100 isn't a guy who is looking to be a part of an image"
While I certainly wasn't looking to be part of an image, I definitely wanted a bike that fit my image of what a motorcycle should look like. The rest of the description mentioned by the OP seemingly fits though.
 
Worried about image? I bought mine at a Harley dealership, what does that say about my concerns about image? I get a chuckle at the looks I get from the Harley guys when I pull into the lot to say hello to the salesmen occasionally.
 
The choice was simple for me. The only kind of bike I've ever owned were plastic free, standard (UJM style), practical motorcycles. That's just the kind of bike I like.

When I started riding over 30 years ago, those were the most common sort of bikes. Since bike styles diverged into mostly sport bikes or cruisers, there haven't been too many that I felt were worthy of my hard earned cash. While both my '93 Nighthawk and the CB1100 were largely considered retro bikes for the nostalgic, for me they were the only bikes that really fit my needs. Rather than buying the bike I used to ride back in the 70s and 80s, I was buying the bike I've been riding since the 70s and 80s :D
 
Thumper sums it up tith this "A chance to once again own a UJM--bikes that were tasked with filling many roles, in the days before motorcycle design became much more focused to a certain role. A bike that's perfectly happy performing light touring duty, commuter duty, or backroad canyon dancing. And without doubt, the CB1100 hits all those marks."
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's me ..... as well :banana:
Add another :banana: It's me too. Well said, Thumper.
 
I am not old enough to have any nostalgia and I've only been riding for about three years. I bought it because there really didn't seem to be anything else in a standard/ cruiser segment with decent horsepower, great brakes, and reasonably light weight.
 
Back
Top