The trouble with Michelin PR3 Tyres

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
In another section of the forum, I've just reported on the slightly unwilling purchase of a set of Michelin PR3s

Now I've found a problem with them after only a few minutes. Let me share it with you.

It has been a truly glorious autumn day here in south-east Queensland. The sky has been clear, the sun has shone, the light has a clarity that we see only in the cooler months. It's cool in the morning and not too hot during the day. Indeed, it is just about the best possible weather for riding motorcycles.

So the PR3s were fitted and the helpful chap at the dealers who organised it and fitted me in reminded me that I had to be careful for a while while they were 'scrubbed in'. I think that's the term. I thought a 50 km or so burn up the highway on the way home would warm them up a bit and help the process along. So I set out for home and the chores that await me.

Do you know that those wretched tyres would just not take me there? They took me across the highway, up on to the range, along the top of the range and then down the other side until I came to the oft mentioned Bellbird Creek Tea House just in time for an excellent bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich and a cup of Earl Grey tea. The sandwich was generous on a very tasty focaccia roll and the tea was good too. I sat in the sun, ate and read a little before heading home. Again those new tyres refused to take me the quickest way and I had to endure a pleasant country ride with a final burst down the highway to get them nice and warm.

If the truth be told the whole experience was probably improved by feeling the need to be careful on new tyres and riding a bit more slowly than I might otherwise have.



The right hand (easterly) route on the map, directly from A-F was my intention; the left-hand or westerly route was where these tyres took me.

Please don't say I didn't warn you.
 
Well, I guess, the MPR3 and your bike allied to teach you the hard way, that they don't like the highway.

I hope, you recover soon, also from suffering the bacon tomato sandwich and the cup of tea in the sun.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the good wishes, Django. It's nearly 1830 here, so the first beer is helping me come to terms with what has been a difficult day.
 
Dang those dastardly tires! Sounds like they like to run and have their own mind about doing it. Going to be tough to reign them in methinks.
 
They're the Devil's work those MPR3's.

A BLT and a cup of Earl Grey, God shows His love for us. Thanks Cormanus for another fine report with a dash of good humor.
 
Another very nice write up, Cormanus! Can only imagine how "tired out" you must have felt afterward! :D

Must admit, you're wettin' my wanderlust to travel to Australia!
fritz
 
Thread starter
I meant to take a leaf from Pterodactyl's book and post this link in the report. It's the dominant sound at the aptly-named Bellbird Creek Tea House. The birds themselves are hard to spot.


 
Thread starter
I’m conscious Fritzwilliger will tell me I have to tread carefully going on like this, but these PR3s are dangerous! They simply will not go where you tell them.

As you’ll see from the photos in this post, the weather this morning left a bit to be desired, but my son’s and my friend Erika has a new bike and I wanted to take a look at it. She was the proud owner of a Gladius (see here) which her boyfriend introduced to a tree. Sadly, it didn’t survive the introduction and Erika needed a new bike. So she settled on a Suzuki GSX1000 which, unlike me, she will be able to ride very well.

So I rode to the Bellbird Creek Teahouse where Erika pulls the occasional shift to check it out. The required map is [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z5L5SB6CRw2M.ka0ObwvLaXOQ]here.

The day ...






An unusually small number of bikes sat outside the Teahouse. I wondered whether Mothers’ Day had something to do with it. As I arrived this bloke was worrying that he mightn’t get the BMW started. Apparently the starter motor’s dodgy.


I ordered coffee and a scone (actually two) and went to check out the gixxer.




By the time I’d finished my coffee a few more bikes had arrived.




It was soon after this that things got ugly. I had things to do at home and I needed to get home. All was well as I rode through Kenilworth and turned towards Eumundi.




But then, as they say, it all turned to ****e. At the turn off to Obi Obi Creek and Mapleton, damme if the bike didn’t just hook a right and we were off along the valley to the wonderful twisties up onto the range at Mapleton.



Final approach to the twisties


Mapleton


Ahead, the road turns sharply to the right and there is a very steep descent. The corners are fabulous and the surface excellent. It is not a place to take photographs

From Mapleton I went down the range and home, although there was a moment when I fought a battle about a visit to the big shopping centre on the coast to buy a new computer I don’t quite need.

Once again friends I must reiterate the need for great care with these independently minded Michelin PR3s. They take you where they want to go.

But that’s enough, I have another more important report to finish so my friend Pterodactyl is not kept waiting too much longer to finish [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5703]his journey.
The offending tyre—
 
Please thank those tyres for me. They've managed to take me on that ride! Great report! But that tank reflection held my eye the longest. Is that you in the yellow? Jon Z
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
Please thank those tyres for me. They've managed to take me on that ride! Great report! But that tank reflection held my eye the longest. Is that you in the yellow? Jon Z
I think, if you look at the next photo, it's the tank of the yellow bike you can see behind the two guys talking.
 
I just experienced the same phenomenon after putting a fresh BT45 on the CB750. Between yesterday and today I managed to put 500 miles (805 km) on it and managed to go nowhere in particular.

By next Sat. the CB11 will have PR3s front and rear and the weather is supposed to be mild. I wonder what will happen. :P
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
I just experienced the same phenomenon after putting a fresh BT45 on the CB750. Between yesterday and today I managed to put 500 miles (805 km) on it and managed to go nowhere in particular.

By next Sat. the CB11 will have PR3s front and rear and the weather is supposed to be mild. I wonder what will happen. :P
Mate, please be careful. :thumbsup:
 
Seems to me those PR3's have some dark magic included in them, will have to try them when it comes to tyre change time. :banana:
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Any chance you could add a scale to your maps so we can get a feeling for distance? :)
Rboe

Google MyMaps doesn't seem to allow the inclusion of a scale, but the first ride home from the dealer was about 129 kms and the second, which didn't go as far south, was 128 kms. In your terms each ride was around 80 miles.
 
It happened, Cormanus. Managed to do 100 miles after mounting the rear PR3 this morning. I was just running a few errands around town that should have been done in 25 miles. If these tires cause me to ride 4x farther on every trip, I'd better order my next set :D
 
Thread starter
They seem to be be like that.

How are finding them, Flyn, or is it too early to say? I gave mine more of a run today, including a very wet stretch, and was impressed.
 
I put on another 150 miles today and I'm really liking them. They are very comfortably sticky on tight corners. I've managed to scrape the peg feelers a couple of times in the last few days. The profile seems to encourage the rider to lean it on over.
 
Back
Top