The thing about mods and farkles

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Funny thing about mods and farkles. Everything on a motorcycle is designed to work in relation with other things on a motorcycle. The engineers go to great lengths, believe it or not, to insure that everything is in harmony. That all the parts make up a whole. But being individuals and destined to tinker with stuff we must of course change thigs from how the engineers designed them.

When you take it upon yourself to change something, it generally affects something else. For example, yesterday I installed a luggage rack on my bike. To do that I had to remove one of the factory bungie hooks. I used that hook all the time when affixing my tail pack. The tailpacks elastic straps and hooks went on great a certain way. Easy peasy. Now, I have to figure out the best new way to attach the tail pack for the times I use it, like for the upcoming rally. Btw I will be using my soft saddle bags which went on a certain way pre luggage rack as well, so we will see how they are affected.

Another example there is a current thread from a forum member. He installed different bars on his bike which are lower and narrower I believe. Now that is causing an issue with mounting brackets for an aftermarket windshield designed to be mounted to wider bars.

The basic rider triangle is an unusual relationship. Bars to seat to pegs. Change one aspect and it affects the others. Putting on a taller seat unfolds the knees, but creates a longer reach to the bars forcing one to bend over further creating more lower back strain, or opt for handlebar set backs to return that part of the triangle to normal. Lower the pegs and it affects how the brake lever and shifter relate to the pegs, and may decrease ground clearance when cornering. Putting on safety bars or crash bars may protect the cases in case of a fall, but may also limit cornering clearance increasing the chance that you may need them. Putting on lower bars affects how the lever blades and switch buttons meet your hands, especially with the new pinned switch assys.

Narrower handlebars will affect how much you can see from your stock mirrors.

Mounting a gps on your bars may affect how well you see the gauges, or how easy it is to access the ignition switch.

Removing or shortening the fenders may earn you a wet stripe up the front or back the first time to ride in the rain

Install certain aftermarket exhausts on your bike and it may reduce clearance in certain right hand turn situations.

You might think I'm telling you to leave the bike how Honda made it, but I'm not. I certainly didn't. I think I have done over a dozen subtle changes to make it mine. Make your bike into whatever you want it to be, but realize that if you change something, it just might have unexpected consequences, and alter the relationship to something else, which means you might have to make additional changes. Just keep this in mind.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Funny thing about mods and farkles. Everything on a motorcycle is designed to work in relation with other things on a motorcycle. The engineers go to great lengths, believe it or not, to insure that everything is in harmony. That all the parts make up a whole. But being individuals and destined to tinker with stuff we must of course change thigs from how the engineers designed them.

When you take it upon yourself to change something, it generally affects something else. For example, yesterday I installed a luggage rack on my bike. To do that I had to remove one of the factory bungie hooks. I used that hook all the time when affixing my tail pack. The tailpacks elastic straps and hooks went on great a certain way. Easy peasy. Now, I have to figure out the best new way to attach the tail pack for the times I use it, like for the upcoming rally. Btw I will be using my soft saddle bags which went on a certain way pre luggage rack as well, so we will see how they are affected.

Another example there is a current thread from a forum member. He installed different bars on his bike which are lower and narrower I believe. Now that is causing an issue with mounting brackets for an aftermarket windshield designed to be mounted to wider bars.

The basic rider triangle is an unusual relationship. Bars to seat to pegs. Change one aspect and it affects the others. Putting on a taller seat unfolds the knees, but creates a longer reach to the bars forcing one to bend over further creating more lower back strain, or opt for handlebar set backs to return that part of the triangle to normal. Lower the pegs and it affects how the brake lever and shifter relate to the pegs, and may decrease ground clearance when cornering. Putting on safety bars or crash bars may protect the cases in case of a fall, but may also limit cornering clearance increasing the chance that you may need them. Putting on lower bars affects how the lever blades and switch buttons meet your hands, especially with the new pinned switch assys.

Narrower handlebars will affect how much you can see from your stock mirrors.

Mounting a gps on your bars may affect how well you see the gauges, or how easy it is to access the ignition switch.

Removing or shortening the fenders may earn you a wet stripe up the front or back the first time to ride in the rain

Install certain aftermarket exhausts on your bike and it may reduce clearance in certain right hand turn situations.

You might think I'm telling you to leave the bike how Honda made it, but I'm not. I certainly didn't. I think I have done over a dozen subtle changes to make it mine. Make your bike into whatever you want it to be, but realize that if you change something, it just might have unexpected consequences, and alter the relationship to something else, which means you might have to make additional changes. Just keep this in mind.
I just want to let you know, that I reused the factory bungie hooks to install the Fehling rack, instead of using the bolts, which come with the rack. The thread of the bungie hooks is a little bit short, but it worked for me.
 
Very good points - and ones that I was actually aware of, yet have NEVER ONCE taken into consideration when drooling over and ordering my latest mod/farkle! :blush: Yes, I am so much dumber than I look...
:rofl:
 
This is a good piece of thought Ferret. I'm going to assume I helped inspire a bit of this piece given my situation haha
 
Thread starter
DJango, the stock piece was about 2 1/2 threads short for me. I was able to just get the nut on a few threads, and it might have been ok, but I didn't want to risk it, so went with the longer bolts.
 
All true. Here's another example. I installed an Arrow exhaust can on my Tiger 800. It's about 9 pounds lighter than the stocker. Due to the change in weight distribution, it is now exceedingly difficult to put the bike on the center stand! talk about a fine line.

Oh, and you said 'farkles.' I thought we banned that most hated word?!?
 
First, "farkle" is not "the most hated word. A few forum members stated their opinion. Doesn't make them "right". They were expressing a feeling. Well...I feel just as strongly that farkle is a good word. In fact, I farkle-identify. So I keep looking for the correct bathroom. Don't want to accidentally upset the other side. ;-)

After-market accessories ended my track day last week. Not in a bad way, though.

My Yosh full exhaust can't really handle right-hand turns at much of a lean angle. That's a problem on the track! Unless it's Nascar.

On the straights, I could get the bike up to a GPS-indicated buck 25 before I had to back off. I'm sure I had another 10mph or so, but the front end was way too light. Pitted and adjusted the Ohlins shocks and race-tech forks, but no joy. Probably the stock tires. Pressure changes helped a little, but not enough. Naked bikes do that.

But I really like listening to the pipe!!! So did everyone else. The ECU re-flash and PC-V have worked great.

If the lean angle wasn't so severely restricted Honda would have sold a couple more CB1100's that day. But it's not a track bike, and these were people looking for a fault.
 
Thread starter
Another good example olyrider. Guys have replaced their rear shocks, only to find out the rear shocks are then out performing the front forks, which then need work.

Or finding extra power and speed in a reflash, pipe and pcv only to find out the aerodynamics, or tires, can't take full advantage of the new found power
 
Thread starter
CB4ME could have the worlds coolest yard sale
 
Excellent post, Ferret. I do think about these things when contemplating mods. The collateral effects are sometimes a deal breaker. Also, since other members may not have the same combination of mods, often you just have to bite the bullet and see what happens.

I ran into that dilemma when I wanted to buy a classic style wide flat seat, but had a concern about the close fitting H&B rack that I already had on the bike. I ended up with the tall Tiros-K and if it had been 1/4" wider or longer, it wouldn't have fit. Whew!

I've also lusted after a few of the more exotic exhaust systems, but I'm just not willing to trade away my center stand. I had a few chain drive bikes in the 80s that had no center stand option and, to put it bluntly, it sucked.
 
Motorcycles are just the clay with which many of us use to build our latest creations. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm just happy to be on the side that can understand and work with what the original engineers were doing and improve upon the compromises they designed into the bike.
 
That's part of the "modding experience" - finding creative ways to maintain the synergistic relationship between all the parts of your bike. You installed a windshield and now you get a vibration? Isolate the headlight connectors! After installing my RC1 windscreen, I noticed that it would noticeably vibrate on the freeway. My easy fix? I stuck some rubber furniture pads in the gap between the screen and the gauges. Problem solved! Yes, modding can sometimes create headaches, but to me it's well worth the trade-off, a uniquely customized motorcycle I can call my own.
 
That's kind of the fun though, at least for me. I remember when I did my clipons levers etc... I took wrenches and allen keys with me for the first couple weeks because I was alway tweaking the clocking of the bars, angle of the clutch and brake masters etc... It takes a while, buy you end up with something ergonomically perfect to you and with everything in harmony.

One surprising unintended modding consequence I ran into though -- with so much more weight shifted forward over the front wheel, you can lift the back wheel off the ground with the stock ABS programming. I don't think it did this stock.
 
I dunno about all this. The only mod this bike needs is RLETs and I'm convinced their omission was simply an oversight on Honda's part.
 
Back
Top