The Secret to Wheelie Your CB1100 (Jon's Moto Garage)

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
YwVX7QN.png



"That was a CB1100! There is no way that dude was up on one wheel!!”

~~~~~~~~~~

Although I understand and have embraced power, speed, handling, and performance on a motorcycle with exuberance, there is one aspect of hooligan behavior that has absolutely no allure for me: popping a wheelie. I have popped more than one in my day, but the experience doing so always left me flat. I felt like a clown in a circus, riding a unicycle.

I was also distracted by my natural concerns about the pain and suffering inflicted on whatever motorcycle I owned at the time. Forks, chain, and sprockets not to mention oil starvation and engine damage are at least possible outcomes of riding a wheelie too far or landing too harshly.

In the East Bay of California, I believe I may be the exception, not the norm.

Motorcyclists are popping wheelies on streets and highways much more frequently in my locale. A recent event in Hayward, CA vividly reminded me of that reality:

9NEMtTS.jpeg


This kind of behavior concerns me because it exposes pedestrians, cars, cyclists, motorcyclists, and anything else sharing the road to a needless hazard, in my opinion. As I prepped for this Thread, I was surprised to learn that many motorcyclists claim that popping a wheelie is the greatest moment they have on a motorcyclist.

If wheelies are the reality of street riders, I went looking for someone who had a tutorial about popping a wheelie on a CB1100. I was quite certain there would be nothing to find. Humbly, I have posted the link in this Thread.  :hilarious:

If you are going to pop a wheelie, I hope you select a location that is safe for you and others. The author of this video is clearly skilled, thoughtful, and shares the love of the wheelie on a CB110. If this speaks to you, please be safe.  I hope this video reinforces any technique you may already use or enhance your approach. Take care, "Two-Wheels-Down" David
 
There's a moment at 3:54 or thereabouts that demonstrates clearly what a Cormanus wheelie would be likely to look like.
 
I do the nose wheelie on my CB since its more my speed. I put it on the center stand  :biker:
 
Well, now there's an activity that can be added to the Wisconsin rally next summer. Maybe a competition to see who can ride a wheelie the longest on their CB1100. 1st prize would be a set of fork seals.

Time to get our CB1100 wheelie groove on.
 
[quote="Lord Popgun" pid='271943' dateline='1764676459']
Two wheels down David. Thats me too.
[/QUOTE]

I as well, Mi Lord

RUBBER DOWN!
 
While I admit that I'd like to once have the feeling of the front wheel lifting (more or less gradually) off the pavement, I don't view that as the same as the wheelies described and shown above.
 
I don't ever see myself doing a wheelie, on any bike I have. That being said, I see kids on their E-bikes doing long wheelies all over the place. On the one hand, I'm thinking "Dang kids don't have any respect, tearing up and down the neighborhood", but on the other hand, I'm thinking about how much coordination these young kids have to be able to do it. Makes me sorta jealous.
 
emptysea said:
While I admit that I'd like to once have the feeling of the front wheel lifting (more or less gradually) off the pavement, I don't view that as the same as the wheelies described and shown above.

I did feel that sensation once, test-riding a Zero SR-F in Sport Mode, while accelerating onto a freeway ramp. My brain couldn't comprehend the speed, but I do remember the front wheel lifting a bit.
 
Not counting the MX & YZ 125cc Yamahas I raced motocross with for years, I think my most wheelie prone machine was my '73 RD 350 Yamaha. You almost couldn't not wheelie that thing.

I've never come close to a wheelie on my CB 1100 nor do I care to
 
When I first started out in a motorcycle shop, I was setting up new Hondas from the crate. When the first Gold Wing came out, I set it up, but wasn't allowed to test ride it. That honor went to our head mechanic, who took took off and disappeared.
A minute later, we heard that distinct flat-four wail, coming up the main street in front of our showroom, with its front wheel 4 feet off the ground, sailing through traffic.
 
Back
Top