the other Leavenworth

Jonz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Had my Friday free so I went riding. Since I wanted to put a few hours and miles in I decided on Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass to Leavenworth for lunch, about 120 miles from home. At the last minute I tried to contact Gary (forum member) since he lives close to Hwy 2. But I might have not sent the message or something? ( Computer dummy here)Anyway a solo ride.
A glorious day it was. Left Seattle late enough to miss morning rush hour-9:15ish and via the "Ben Howard Road" got to Sultan, where I caught Hwy 2 at about 10. Just before the summit I passed a parade of antique and vintage cars, mostly open tops in the cool Mtn. air. Made me wish I could take pics like the Ferret, on the move. I thought about stopping at the top to snap some shots of the horseless carriages as they crested, but I didn't want to stop yet. Besides Hwy 2 is beautiful all the way up and down heading east or west, the summit itself is ugly for the 1/4 mile your on top. Too much pavement- I guess for exits to skis lift and DOT snow removal equipment.
So here's a few pics:
1) Leavenworth is on the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mtns. which are a lot drier than the western slopes. They have a building code that requires everything to look like the Swiss Alps, kinda cute and kinda over the top touristy.

2)I did find some good mood food! It was the right place to eat. And to those of you who might be thinking that Washington State's newly legalized substance was involved-no it's just coffee, pastries, and sandwiches.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5057_zpsg4fomeyd.jpg.html]
3)Getting my gear back on I noticed some nearby commotion and went to check it out. This is a pic of a large red butterfly the guys had just trapped in a plastic cup with a few leaves in it. I'd never seen anything like it. Not much in the focus dept. but the only other wildlife I saw was a dead deer on the side of the road.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5056_zpsyh7z8zku.jpg.html]
4)Wenatchee River
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5059_zps17gy5qom.jpg.html]
5)I got some favorable comments on an earlier post about catching my refection in my mirror, so of course I over did the technique.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5062_zpsn2umlwdl.jpg.html]
6)One eyed landscape
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5063_zpsbo12dp9y.jpg.html]
7)The CB looks like it wants a swim
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5060_zpsile3rhpr.jpg.html]
8)Back on the wet side
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5064_zpsbzurlubc.jpg.html]
 
Yep, you went through my town... How do you like that windscreen?
 
Jonz_imp said:
Had my Friday free so I went riding. Since I wanted to put a few hours and miles in I decided on Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass to Leavenworth for lunch, about 120 miles from home. At the last minute I tried to contact Gary (forum member) since he lives close to Hwy 2. But I might have not sent the message or something? ( Computer dummy here)Anyway a solo ride.
A glorious day it was. Left Seattle late enough to miss morning rush hour-9:15ish and via the "Ben Howard Road" got to Sultan, where I caught Hwy 2 at about 10. Just before the summit I passed a parade of antique and vintage cars, mostly open tops in the cool Mtn. air. Made me wish I could take pics like the Ferret, on the move. I thought about stopping at the top to snap some shots of the horseless carriages as they crested, but I didn't want to stop yet. Besides Hwy 2 is beautiful all the way up and down heading east or west, the summit itself is ugly for the 1/4 mile your on top. Too much pavement- I guess for exits to skis lift and DOT snow removal equipment.
So here's a few pics:
1) Leavenworth is on the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mtns. which are a lot drier than the western slopes. They have a building code that requires everything to look like the Swiss Alps, kinda cute and kinda over the top touristy.

2)I did find some good mood food! It was the right place to eat. And to those of you who might be thinking that Washington State's newly legalized substance was involved-no it's just coffee, pastries, and sandwiches.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5057_zpsg4fomeyd.jpg.html]
3)Getting my gear back on I noticed some nearby commotion and went to check it out. This is a pic of a large red butterfly the guys had just trapped in a plastic cup with a few leaves in it. I'd never seen anything like it. Not much in the focus dept. but the only other wildlife I saw was a dead deer on the side of the road.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5056_zpsyh7z8zku.jpg.html]
4)Wenatchee River
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5059_zps17gy5qom.jpg.html]
5)I got some favorable comments on an earlier post about catching my refection in my mirror, so of course I over did the technique.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5062_zpsn2umlwdl.jpg.html]
6)One eyed landscape
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5063_zpsbo12dp9y.jpg.html]
7)The CB looks like it wants a swim
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5060_zpsile3rhpr.jpg.html]
8)Back on the wet side
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/over%20Hwy2-%20May%208th%2015/IMG_5064_zpsbzurlubc.jpg.html]

:rofl: Who are we to blame a guy for trying?

Great photos, but I've got to say that the red butterfly was really something else.
 
Nice one, Jonz.
 
Thread starter
Thanks- I wish the butterfly pic had been better so I could try and identify it-but as a piece of 2 dimensional art it works ok.
The Dart flyscreen is great-Although I wonder about the new version, the "marlin" I think. I don't know why I would want something better, but I haven't any experience with bigger fairings. There are lots of posts about both on the forum.
Jon Z
 
Neat pics and places to see. I thought the butterfly might actually be a moth, but I can't identify it. Though it might be a polyphemus moth but it isn't quite right.
 
Drove through there today on my way home from Coeur d'Alene. My German wife (from Cologne) thought it was a nice town but much too "Bavarian" for her! She's a Rhinelander to the core :-)
 
Thread starter
1100F--Did you do that trip in one day? That's a long trip in a car. Lesli & I are taking the CB from Seattle to Twisp next week.Then ride around there for a few days. Our first big trip on this bike. Jon Z
 
I hate to be pedantic, 1100F, but which countries do your other wives come from?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Neat pics and places to see. I thought the butterfly might actually be a moth, but I can't identify it. Though it might be a polyphemus moth but it isn't quite right.
A Cecropia Moth I think. I have one in my collection of mounts.
 
Back
Top