GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
Excellent pdedse. Solid Honda confidence.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Very handy numbers, thanks for the info.pdedse_imp said:10/15/21: 2017 CB1100EX
14k miles
First valve check, performed by Cycletune, Portland, Oregon
Clearances EX: .28 +/- .03; IN: .15 +/- .03
OBSERVED CLEARANCES:
Cylinder #1
EX: .28 mm .28 mm
IN: .15 mm .17 mm
Cylinder #2
EX: .28 mm .29 mm
IN: .15 mm .15 mm
Cylinder #3
EX: .28 mm .28 mm
IN: .16 mm .13 mm
Cylinder #4
EX: .25 mm .26 mm
IN: .15 mm .16 mm
No adjustments necessary

What did you use to glue it? I do have some sweating from the front outer corners of cylinders 1 and 4, got a brand new gasket but haven't mounted it just yet, waiting for the time to check the valve clearancemax_imp said:Thanks Pdedse, all entered into the spreadsheet;
observed valve clearance thread google spreadsheet
Just as a sidenote; my intakes had hardly moved and the exhaust had opened up some over 40.000 km. but i do take it easy.
In addition to that i actually glued my rubber gasket into the aluminum cover and the slight oil weep has stopped........
What did you use to glue it? I do have some sweating from the front outer corners of cylinders 1 and 4, got a brand new gasket but haven't mounted it just yet, waiting for the time to check the valve clearancetod.branko_imp said:What did you use to glue it? I do have some sweating from the front outer corners of cylinders 1 and 4, got a brand new gasket but haven't mounted it just yet, waiting for the time to check the valve clearancemax_imp said:Thanks Pdedse, all entered into the spreadsheet;
observed valve clearance thread google spreadsheet
Just as a sidenote; my intakes had hardly moved and the exhaust had opened up some over 40.000 km. but i do take it easy.
In addition to that i actually glued my rubber gasket into the aluminum cover and the slight oil weep has stopped........
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
What did you use to glue it? I do have some sweating from the front outer corners of cylinders 1 and 4, got a brand new gasket but haven't mounted it just yet, waiting for the time to check the valve clearancemax_imp said:What did you use to glue it? I do have some sweating from the front outer corners of cylinders 1 and 4, got a brand new gasket but haven't mounted it just yet, waiting for the time to check the valve clearancetod.branko_imp said:What did you use to glue it? I do have some sweating from the front outer corners of cylinders 1 and 4, got a brand new gasket but haven't mounted it just yet, waiting for the time to check the valve clearancemax_imp said:Thanks Pdedse, all entered into the spreadsheet;
observed valve clearance thread google spreadsheet
Just as a sidenote; my intakes had hardly moved and the exhaust had opened up some over 40.000 km. but i do take it easy.
In addition to that i actually glued my rubber gasket into the aluminum cover and the slight oil weep has stopped........
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Hi Todd, i used "ados f2" which is a contact adhesive, honey color and also known as " bisonkit " in holland at the time, it is like syrup, i laid a consistent bead in the alu cover and put the gasket in.
Some expelled itself when i pushed the gasket home and i just wiped that up.
There were remnants of a contact adhesive on the rubber gasket as best as i could work out.
Put black silicone sealant in the CORNERS OF THE CHROME BUTTONS as described in the manual,placed the cover in it's place and tightened it up carefully.
As a substitute i could have used black silicone too but here we are.
Previously i put silicone sealant between the gasket and the cyl. head on the mating surfaces, that did nothing to stop the oil weeping, just in the wrong place, the seal works fine as it is provided.......... and i stopped tightening the bolts when they bottomed out, over time they will settle and "click" when unscrewed as usual, piece of cake to check for tightness of them if you feel uncertain.
Do you mean I can remove the valve cover without removing the spark plugs? That's actually pretty neat because those spark plugs are so touchy and not very accessiblemax_imp said:That sounds like a good idea,these are small threads on the bolts, easy to "scre--" them up, just forgot to mention i used a tube of adhesive, makes forming a bead easy.
Another sidenote; there is no need to take the spark plugs out and the way they sit in the cooling cavity it is very easy to drop some accumulated grit into the cylinder, once inside it can do some damage inside, just something to be aware of.
All I can say about the first major service (12000kms) is that it was done at a large dealership and they charged me for valve adjustment and shims. They couldn't provide detail.Pterodactyl_imp said:All I can say about the first major service (12000kms) is that it was done at a large dealership and they charged me for valve adjustment and shims. They couldn't provide detail.DAC_imp said:Your exhaust is almost exactly where mine were at the first check at 9,500 mi. The intake side for some are a little tighter. (Mine were all at .15 with some maybe +.01). Tony, do you think the techs really did anything first go around? I know you were a little disappointed in their work on other fronts.
Cheers
Indeed.bvictory_imp said:All I can say about the first major service (12000kms) is that it was done at a large dealership and they charged me for valve adjustment and shims. They couldn't provide detail.Pterodactyl_imp said:All I can say about the first major service (12000kms) is that it was done at a large dealership and they charged me for valve adjustment and shims. They couldn't provide detail.DAC_imp said:Your exhaust is almost exactly where mine were at the first check at 9,500 mi. The intake side for some are a little tighter. (Mine were all at .15 with some maybe +.01). Tony, do you think the techs really did anything first go around? I know you were a little disappointed in their work on other fronts.
Cheers
Cheers
I am very surprised that they would be out of spec at 8k miles. I believe that the dealer checked them but I seriously doubt they made any adjustments. They earn a pretty penny just checking valve specs.
)Everyone slips up eventually. At least one can settle and get rooted in their new country.Houtman_imp said:It is nice that as a "foreigner " you can get away with spelling mistakes , it comes in very useful sometimes . When I came to the USA in 1984 I made plenty of blunders just using the wrong words , one time I said to some one that is wife is "homely " I did not know that that means something different in the USA as it does in England.

Wish I could. At my age, if the 14hour plane ride didn't kill me, I'd probably kill someone. And that is just getting there.Lord Popgun_imp said:Nacho, now move to Australia and learn again![]()