The Maritimes

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I was looking at a map of Canada yesterday, checking out possible "new-to-me" motorcycle rides in the upcoming years. I'm left coast so it's natural for me to look straight north. This summer I finally had my first entry into Canada and got to explore BC a little bit.

As I started to "head east" on my map, flipping throuh the pages, the last section was labeled "The Maritimes". What!? Apologies to the Canadians here, but I don't remember ever hearing / reading anything about "The Maritimes"...and I'm generally pretty good with names of countries, regions, etc. Didn't have my reading glasses on, so I couldn't make out the smaller labels on the map. Had to google it and found more familiar names make up the area (N.Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PE Island). I was relieved because I'm familiar with these names, though still quite ignorant on "what's there / what's it like).

I have a sister who recently set up her retirement yeas and now lives in Cape Cod. One day, I'd like to visit her on the bike as I want to do a long East Coast trip before my expiration date comes up. And now I see "The Maritimes" isn't really all that far away.

So...what's it like? I can do the net searches, but would enjoy hearing from those who live there / have ridden bikes there. Care to share any personal info / photos / places to visit / routes to consider?
 
Hi pdedse. I grew up in Rochester, NY, and have ventured into Canada more times than I can count. Friends and I actually pitched our tents and slept in a park in the city of Toronto about 40 years ago (completely illegal I'm sure, but it was very late, and we didn't want to search any longer for a legal park to camp in). I haven't been further east or north than Toronto, but I do have a lot of experience in Niagara Falls (been there more than 50 times I estimate because the wife and I visit there twice each year when we visit relatives in Rochester). I highly recommend visiting the Falls, and on both sides (American / Canadian). Our favorite restaurant is on the Canadian side, called the Skylon. It's a revolving restaurant, just like the one in Seattle, but (in my humble opinion) better, because the sights are much better. There are a lot of beautiful roads in the Finger Lakes area of NY, and I also recommend riding down to Watkin's Glen, if you have the chance. One word of advice though: Bring rain gear, and beware of radar traps on the freeways.
 
I hope you make it to Cape Cod and eventually up to "The Maritimes."
The Cabot Trail in the highlands of Cape Breton Island is probably the crown jewel of bike roads in this province, but there are plenty of coastal roads with towns and villages to explore. Motorcyclists are very welcome here; the people are friendly, and we have great seafood.
I think your best option is to Google Tourism Nova Scotia for their web site and the many links on the Google page to explore. The web site is very good and can keep you entertained for a period of time as it covers just about everything to see and do with great pictures. What you can see and do will depend on how much time you have.
The present web site is geared to fall travel, followed by winter and then spring. Spring is probably the best time for you to explore the site, but the fall offering is very good and will certainly give you a good sense of the province.
I recommend getting an old-fashioned paper map of the province that you can spread out and see where the roads and towns are.
Gas is expensive, but the American dollar is worth about $1.25 which helps a lot. Who knows what it may be next year.
If you're interested in PEI and New Brunswick, I would Google their tourism sites too.
 
Been few times to Maritimes = East Coast provinces = beautiful.
My most favourable/visited are:
the entire Gaspe Peninsula,
Nova Scotia > Cape Breton - counter-clock trip
PEI
Never been to Newfoundland and Yarmouth/NS area yet

Very sure our member Rocky will chime in as he is the boss of entire NS province and his headquarter is located in Halifax, where he hides all his five beautiful bikes :)
 
The U.S. has some wonderful maritime coastal attractions too, so between that and Canada there is plenty of riding destinations.

I prefer the western coastal regions more (U.S. and Canada). The Cabot Trail region (Cape Breton Island, NS) of Canada is okay - but limited in riding range. Choices, choices, choices.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Been few times to Maritimes = East Coast provinces = beautiful.
My most favourable/visited are:
the entire Gaspe Peninsula,
Nova Scotia > Cape Breton - counter-clock trip
PEI
Never been to Newfoundland and Yarmouth/NS area yet

Very sure our member Rocky will chime in as he is the boss of entire NS province and his headquarter is located in Halifax, where he hides all his five beautiful bikes :)
PB, you're too much:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 
Rocky_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Been few times to Maritimes = East Coast provinces = beautiful.
My most favourable/visited are:
the entire Gaspe Peninsula,
Nova Scotia > Cape Breton - counter-clock trip
PEI
Never been to Newfoundland and Yarmouth/NS area yet

Very sure our member Rocky will chime in as he is the boss of entire NS province and his headquarter is located in Halifax, where he hides all his five beautiful bikes :)
PB, you're too much:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
PB, you're too much:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rocky, this is not a laughing matter.....expect few visitors next season :D:hello:
 
My last week 4 day/3 night trip

Google Maps

2f2d7f55b6efc635c3352fce3469c167.jpg


94acd981dd4bea0aba3afb5a0aa7c930.jpg


81c98b62bb99af86d37b0790896fd966.jpg

PERCE, Que

Nova Scotia Travel & Tourism | Official Guide to Nova Scotia
 
If you are a fresh-from-the-sea salmon or tuna lubber pdedse, I'd say Pacific coast salmon is much more enjoyable than Atlantic coast. Again, an opinion.
 
Dont know much about the Maritimes, but in 1971 I and bud rode around Lake Superior. Took nine days to get around, pitching tents in campgrounds. We were both just out of the US army.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Dont know much about the Maritimes, but in 1971 I and bud rode around Lake Superior. Took nine days to get around, pitching tents in campgrounds. We were both just out of the US army.
Yeah, Lake Superior is a powerful fresh water Great Lake. I find it intimidating sometimes. Wind gusts coming up from the north shore can move your motorcycle a whole lane width. The rider has got to be attentive.
 
"almost" made it to New Brunswick on our recent MC trip to Maine -- I didn't have my passport or anyone in my group willing to rid the 500 mile round trip. It sure looks like a pretty trip though. Maybe someday....
 
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
Only for lack of time. Not for lack of desire.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
Only for lack of time. Not for lack of desire.
Totally.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Sounds fun!

GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
I teach at a college and while most summers I have at least one class, I'm not obligated to do so...meaning that I could do a 6-8 week trip, few more if needed. I've done several long trips ranging from 5-7 thousand miles lasting up to a month. I enjoyed them a lot. I have family in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and now back east, so I would make a few stops along the way, stay a few days to recover. Would love to visit some forum members en route as well. A few people have mentioned the Great Lakes--I want to travel that area on the way.

We'll see...it's just an idea for the moment. But that's how my other trips started out, and then I start talking about it more, thinking, planning...I don't think it will happen next summer, but maybe in 2 or 3.

Thanks for comments...I'll be sure to take a look at the tourism site mentioned in one of the posts.
 
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Sounds fun!

GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I think you should go ahead with your plans next season by taking Ferret with you and meet pdedse from the Pacific region + some tough Canadian riders !!
:biker:++
Cross-continental cruise pdedse? Seriously - few at this Forum has done coast-to-coast in one journey.
I teach at a college and while most summers I have at least one class, I'm not obligated to do so...meaning that I could do a 6-8 week trip, few more if needed. I've done several long trips ranging from 5-7 thousand miles lasting up to a month. I enjoyed them a lot. I have family in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and now back east, so I would make a few stops along the way, stay a few days to recover. Would love to visit some forum members en route as well. A few people have mentioned the Great Lakes--I want to travel that area on the way.

We'll see...it's just an idea for the moment. But that's how my other trips started out, and then I start talking about it more, thinking, planning...I don't think it will happen next summer, but maybe in 2 or 3.

Thanks for comments...I'll be sure to take a look at the tourism site mentioned in one of the posts.
I hear ya. As soon as I hit retirement, such opportunities should open wide. It will be exciting.
 
Back
Top