The Magical Mystery Tour

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So here it is, my First Road Trip Review of my '17 EX. This type of roadie is largely why I bought this bike, figuring she'd be my touring bike, my casual-rides bike, and my two-up bike, leaving the XSR900 to be my Go Be A Moron bike.

While this will largely remain the plan, things are no longer quite what they seemed.

Cutting to the chase, I discovered four mini-issues with the CB during this trip, only one of which is likely to become a permanent issue for me...

First off, compared to the bolt-upright XSR (due to the bar risers I added), the CB's seating position places me in a semi-sporting slouch, with my legs folded beneath me, my lower back somewhat arched. Yes, 'slouch,' not 'crouch.' It's not like a sportbike, with low bars enforcing an exaggerated forward lean. Nope, in this case the bars are obviously fairly high, but they're just low enough and far enough away that I slouch to reach them.

I first realized this during my return trip to the dealer, when I had my heated grips installed. It's a long freeway slog to get there, and by the time I'd hit the 680 freeway I noticed that my lower back was a bit sore. I never get lower-back soreness on any bike. This was a first for me. I also noticed that simply sitting upright and straightening my back (the XSR's riding position) alleviated the soreness.

So, for this entire trip I made sure to move around in the saddle, and I sat straight and tall every so often. By the end of the trip, I really wasn't thinking about it any longer. I'd gotten used to it.

So, not a problem. The XSR is actually the more comfortable freeway bike for me, which wasn't the plan, but there it is. The CB's mirrors are way better, and so is its seat. In terms of motor buzz and smoothness, I'd say the CB is probably a hair smoother, largely because I tend to average around 70 mph on the CB, vs 75 mph on the XSR, which puts the CB right in her sixth-gear wheelhouse. Certainly the XSR's pegs vibrate more, and the mirrors blur up badly at those speeds.

Eh, it's close. Overall, I'll say the CB is smoother, and the XSR's seating position is more comfortable. Weighing it all out, the overall comfort between the two is about equal.

Next, I noticed that no matter how low I seemed to run the tank, at least according to the trip computer, I was never able to add more than 3.8 gallons at the pump. At one point the thing said I only had twelve miles of fuel remaining, so I figured I must have used something like 4.2 gallons, considering this bike has a 4.44-gallon tank.

Nope. She only accepted 3.8 gallons. The trip computer said I'd averaged 46 mpg on that tank. Another fill-up accepted 3.6 gallons, after 160 miles, for a 44 mpg average.

So, two things there. One, I'd like to be able to use the entire tank. Two, I was only able to get mickey-style gas mileage during one particularly leisurely stretch through the Napa Wine Country, when my trip computer said I'd averaged 53 mpg.

In any case, I'm going a lot further per tank on this one than I am on the XSR, despite both trip computers telling me I typically average 46 mpg, so I'm good with the fuel mileage and overall tank range.

The third thing was the brakes; namely, the way they kept squealing whenever I'd roll slowly to a stop. By the end of the trip, however, the squealing seemed to have vanished. I'll keep an ear on that issue.

The fourth and final issue is something that I'll get to in a bit here.

So, it was right about this time...

08139b471e32d27149c8882ce5997eb0.jpg


...that I came up with the idea that this was a Magical Mystery Tour. That picture was taken just past the bridge on Spanish Flats Rd at Lake Berryessa, where the Zodiak Killer claimed his first few victims. All during my ride through Spanish Flats Rd around Lake Berryessa, I kept asking myself, Why the CB, instead of the T120? Why do you like this one more than the Triumph?

The answer came to me when I passed a real-live VW hippy van festooned with painted flowers and all the usual '60s artwork. This thing was reeking of pot, and the people in the van were obviously having a good ol' time, just tooling around the lake in their throwback time machine while listening to The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour. I realized that for me, retro means the '60s, but maybe the '70s even more so, since I was born in '64. Growing up in SoCal in the '70s, it was nothing but Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Beatles, Stones, The Doors, and, towards the end of the decade and on into the early '80s, Van Halen. That's what all my older brothers' friends listened to, and they were the people who got me into music. Those guys were all into Hondas and Kawis and Suzukis, not Triumphs.

In fact, SoCal in the '70s and early '80s seemed entirely bereft of Bonnevilles. It was nothing but CBs, and various KZ Kawis, and GS Suzukis. Moreover, it wasn't just SoCal. Any classic California ride, whether it was Hwy 1 and Big Sur, the Mojave desert, the Lost Coast, Angeles Crest Hwy, Mulholland Dr and the Rock Store, Big Bear, Tahoe, Skyline Dr and Alice's Restaurant, basically all the best rides, it was all Japanese bikes.

I didn't grow up in the Bay Area, and I imagine that Triumph had a greater presence in bike-crazy, eclectic San Francisco, but I also imagine that the UJM and its offspring were as ubiquitous in The City as they were everywhere else in California at the time.

In any case, when I think of the '70s and Zeppelin and The Eagles and Van Halen, and I think of riding great California roads, I think of the CB, not the Bonneville. I'm not a leather jacket-sportin' British Invasion Mod, nor a fan of punk rock. To me, the nostalgia for Triumph has to do with hedges-lined country lanes in the British Midlands, or misty nights of bar hopping in tony London Town. Bonnevilles aren't about roaming the great open spaces of the American West, or ripping through Golden Gate Park after seeing Neil Young at the Filmore.

That's CB territory, through and through, and that's how I internalized my perceptions of the CB vs the T120. As much as I admire the looks and heritage of the Bonneville, that heritage isn't my heritage. I don't remember those days, because I never saw them. What I saw was a bazillion Japanese rat bikes abused by countless stoners who couldn't afford anything new, and the Japanese bikes were the most reliable, versatile, and downright fun bikes their meager fundage could buy.

That hippy van fogging up Spanish Flat Rd brought it all back home to me, perfectly crystallizing my thoughts.

I knew I was on the right bike. My two elder brothers still don't even know I bought this CB, but when they finally see her, they're absolutely going to freak, and I totally get it.

Any Dean Koontz fans here? I'm a huge fan. I've read nearly everything of his, and one piece in particular that always stayed with me is Intensity. For those of you who've read it, this picture here...

bf488a5d5d61502febd5c80cf93c1ce1.jpg


...was taken on one of the Wine Country roads he described in the story. He covered a lot of my favorite roads in that book, and this trip saw me hitting most of them.

Napa Wine country is just mickey heaven. This is where you take your CB to cruise along and enjoy the scenery while taking great satisfaction in those 53 mpg you're managing.

This next one is Ulvetanna territory. This is the bridge at the western terminus of Skaggs Springs Rd...

e264b1280e70ecb89b1e044469ceadfd.jpg


This is straight-up a race road. This is not where you take your Harley. This is where you go for billiard-table smooth, perfectly cambered, serpentine tarmac that is nearly always car-free. This road reminds me of a cross between Laguna Seca and Thunder Hill.

It's not for the faint of heart.

This road is where my fourth issue with the CB came to light, due to the kamikaze nature of some of its very fast downhill corners.

For the most part, I have been borderline astonished at how well this CB performs as a quasi-sportbike. Her suspension is better than the XSR's, of this I now have no doubt. Her overall handling is necessarily compromised by her sheer heft, but she manages that heft like a Monday mornings-sore Bo Jackson. She just gobbles up Mosquito Ridge and its bumpy, highly technical layout.

Skaggs was a different story, and it's probably more my issue than the bike's. There are long, never-ending corners up there that really test your willingness to commit, and it was during these corners that I noticed my tires starting to squirm. It felt similar to riding an ADV on semi-knobbies. Unlike the wide, grippy, consistent-feeling tires on my XSR, the squirminess of the touring tires on the CB were quickly eroding my confidence.

After a few too many warnings from those squirming tires, I finally let those fast downhill corners get to me. Too much weight on too little tire, I decided.

Here I freely admit, I lacked the bottle to stay on the gas and stuff her in hard on her nose. I backed off. I started tapping the brakes to scrub some speed before rolling into the corner, rather than charging into the corner.

It was only on the fast downhill corners, and the bike might have been able to handle it, but I wasn't the guy to play Chuck Yeager and find out.

Perhaps a set of grippier skins might restore my confidence there, but I don't think so. It was more a feeling stemming from the sheer weight of the bike on such skinny tires, and my own mental block about pushing too hard on her.

This is the one issue I discovered that may stick. I simply don't see myself ever jamming her into those sorts of fast downhill corners the way I would with a lighter, purpose-built sportbike. It's my own failing, not the bike's, but I don't want to push my luck.

Another amazing thing I learned up on Skaggs is that this CB has virtually no engine braking, which initially scared the bejeezus outta me. I'd roll off the throttle heading into those downhill monsters, and..nothing would happen! It was like an out-of-control freight train. I'm used to bikes slowing down when I roll out of the throttle, but this one doesn't.

Now that required some serious mental recalibrating.

The plus side is that once I became used to it, I discovered that I flippin' love it! I realized that part of what makes the CB's throttle response so perfect is not just the actual fueling, but also the smooth suspension keeping the chassis level, the silky torque curve right off the bottom, and also the lack of engine braking. This lack of engine braking means there is so much less drive lash, and almost no back-and-forth jerking of any sort.

Rather than cut and thrust, the CB is all about arcing and swooping, in large part because the throttle is the thing, not the brakes. Simply use the throttle to increase your speed, like a rheostat. Due to the lack of engine braking, the CB's throttle is the world's coolest dimmer switch.

This facet of the CB's power delivery paid massive dividends on the glorified goat trail that covers the rest of Skaggs Springs all the way to the ocean, at Stewart's Point. I've ridden countless bikes over that nightmarish Hieronymus Bosch painting of a road, and this CB is far and away the easiest bike with which to navigate that mess. The throttle response is so predictable, the power take-up so linear, so exactly-what-you-want-exactly-when-you-want-it, it makes all other bikes seem primitive, and hard work.

Eventually I did arrive at Stewart's Point, and...

07df9219e5b77f762a4db4a8943965a8.jpg


...my pretty girl gets her first glimpse of an ocean.

I couldn't decide where she was more in her element; in that crazy-tight goat trail, or out there on Hwy 1, with Zeppelin's "The Song Remains The Same" filling my head, perfectly apropos of the moment: a CB1100, stretching her legs on the Pacific Coast Highway, and then...

3c3bd1b891d6d145998acd85ee28ec73.jpg


...her first ocean sunset.

Yes.

The CB1100: sheer brilliance, resplendent in her scarlet livery. Hwy 1: her ancestral home.

It wasn't all rainbows, puppies, and unicorns however, as I discovered upon my evening arrival at my hotel in Mendocino, and the ceremonial unpacking of the bike...

e3d6954b32c6bb8e462cba9e7ab5a3d9.jpg


These are two of the four straps that were securing my tail bag to my bike. Notice in all the pictures so far that there are no straps trailing down the side of the bike? See how the straps went beneath the grab rail and under the seat?

Well, somehow two of those straps were chewed to pieces during this initial leg of my trip.

Bad, bad news. Something similar to this is what led to my tail bag finding its way into the rear wheel of my FJ1200 way back when, which led to that FJ1200 immediately becoming an ex-FJ1200 once it started cartwheeling at 140 mph down Hwy 58 in the Mojave desert.

I had visions of the same thing happening again, and I still had to get back home.

This is what I ended up doing...

e99ea8bda99811cd0d52fad24af5e4d0.jpg


Not the best, but it was all I could do. I wanted to avoid this method because the straps are touching the shock springs, and I was worried those springs would tear right through the straps even more easily than the rear fender and underside of the seat tore through the other two straps.

After spending a quiet night in Mendocino, capped off by watching Sportscenter in my room while munching on some Paul Newman's chocolate chip cookies (is there anything that franchise doesn't make these days?), I awoke to an impossibly glorious morning on the northern coast...

d856364914f5cbbbf4a9cc14adc40893.jpg


As you can see there, it's just those two straps keeping my bacon safe.

Heading out, I decided to try some roads I'd never traveled, which led me up into the dappled sunlight filtering through the Big Trees...

4757a30e274312a549efd74107689de9.jpg


The entire ride home, I was constantly reaching behind me to check on the tail bag, and everything seemed to be holding up.

I hadn't been on the very western-most section of Hwy 128 in years, and I'd forgotten just how amazing certain stretches of that road are for serious sportriding. Tail bag worries or not, I had to let the CB eat, and eat she most certainly did. Man, does she love quick, endless S-bends.

That one section of Hwy 128 amid the late morning sunshine, holy crap, that was about as good as motorcycling gets.

Every so often I did manage to tear my eyes away from the scenic splendor and sinuous playground to check my instruments, and lo and behold...

44e7d198c10b88f154b30dfeac5b7ba3.jpg


Bam. One thousand miles, on the nose.

I had to pull over and take a picture of that one.

Not too shabby, considering I've only had her, what, thirteen days?

As soon as I made it back to Sacramento, I rode straight to Cycle Gear and picked up a bungee net. I don't trust those two remaining straps. I really don't like them rubbing against the shock springs. This CB is going to be my long-distance bike, so hopefully the bungee net won't break.

Yep, even though the XSR sits more comfortably for me, this CB is going to be my long-distance ride. It's the smoothness, the plush seat, the incredible mirrors, the extra range from the tank, the insanely good headlight, etc. It's all those things, but, more than anything, it's just the feeling she gives me. I love being on her. I love being near her. I love looking out a window and seeing her. I love when people come up to me to talk about her. (Sorry, Ulve, but I'm not yet in the sick-of-having-to-talk-to-people-about-her phase of CB1100 ownership.) I love firing her up. I really, really love the view from her saddle, especially at night.

I love that bike, like crazy.

Oh, and the combination of spoked wheels and chain lube?

Quite obviously a contrivance of the devil. Forget Dan Brown, Dante's Ninth Circle is where you find those most unfortunate of souls who have been condemned to an eternity of washing the 2017 CB1100 EX.
 
Nice report, VLJ. Sounds like a most agreeable ride. Pity about the straps; do you know what did it? There must be some hefty chafing going on there. I've resisted using those anchor points near the rear pegs for exactly the same reason as you: I worry straps'll get tangled up in the suspension.

The fuel question is vexing a number of people. I reckon the only thing to do is strap a spare tank on and go out and run it until it stops and then see how much you can put in it. Join the conversation in this thread of Nortoon's for his concerns about it. However, if you get to put 3.8 US gallons in it, you must have a bigger tank than the earlier standard models which had 3.9 gallons. The DLX had 4.6 US Gallons, I think, and the EX is supposed to hold 4.4.

Anyway, glad you like the bike. I also liked your rationale of why it appeals to you.

By the way, adopt the Ferret and Cormanus approach: ride it don't wash it. All that crap comes off when you give in to the occasional urge to bathe it.
 
no wonder about the straps....if you have any kg in this kind (big) bag.... it moves on that way still a bit....the efffect you got......i trust only the classic old simple ropes for bags like that......there you can realy strong close pull "over" the whole bag / a saddle gives a smooth move ground so it must pulled extra close down....after moves nothing more too over bumpy gravel offroad streets.....


or too...the straps should be minimum out in the corners of the bag and not so close together but i guess you would have still some a free moving headweight
 
Nice story, and well-written . . . Tell me, do you ENJOY torturing those of us in the frozen northeast US with photos of clean, dry roads and beautiful scenery??? One thousand miles . . . and I still have only eleven . . .

Glad you're enjoying your new one! Maybe in a month or two, I can do the same here in Pennsylvania.
 
What’s sharp under the seat that could have caused the fraying? The latch maybe?

I have several thousand miles logged with a bag strapped to the rear set like you show with zero chafing or tangling from rubbing on the suspension.

If you got used to the strain on your back it probably means that you just were using different muscles and there’s probably nothing major wrong with the seating position for you. If you’re sore after every ride, than adjustment might be needed (perhaps to both the bike and you). Also, it’s pretty easy to move the bars slightly toward you, if the mounting bracket is the same as in the 2013s

Nice pictures.
 
Love the first ocean sunset pic. Very nice! Screen saver material.

Magical Mystery Tour. Great album. Summer of 1967. I was going to be a senior in high school when school started again, and me and my other Beatle haired hippy buds spent a lot of time with headphones on, listening to that revelation of an album (along with St Peppers released the same year) . Motorcycle wise I had been street riding 2 years and had graduated from an Italian Aermacchi 50 3 speed 2 stroke to a Japanese Honda CB 160 4 stroke. What a great little motorcycle, although at the time it seemed large. The next year I moved to a CL 77 305 Scrambler and it was huge! lol (as was the White Album 1968).

From what I glean from reading about your weekend, I think you are learning what the CB is really all about.

"Rather than cut and thrust, the CB is all about arcing and swooping, in large part because the throttle is the thing, not the brakes. Simply use the throttle to increase your speed, like a rheostat. Due to the lack of engine braking, the CB's throttle is the world's coolest dimmer switch.".... "I hadn't been on the very western-most section of Hwy 128 in years, and I'd forgotten just how amazing certain stretches of that road are for serious sport riding. Tail bag worries or not, I had to let the CB eat, and eat she most certainly did. Man, does she love quick, endless S-bends"....."That one section of Hwy 128 amid the late morning sunshine, holy crap, that was about as good as motorcycling gets"

Don't push things beyond comfortable and all is good. Smooth and easy with all inputs. Roll the throttle on and off. It's just an easy bike to ride, and an enjoyable one if you let it. Jorge Lorenzo not Marc Marquez.

Sounds like you had a great time on your journey. Congrats on the 1000 mile mark. If you save the XSR for the times you want to have a fling with Skaggs Springs Road you'll have a happy (bike) marriage.

From my perspective, it's been fun watching you change your perspective.. lol.
 
Thread starter
The only sharp-edged surface I can find beneath the seat is the lip of the steel fender. The strange thing there is the straps aren't frayed where they crossed over the edge of the fender. The fraying was in the middle of the strap, directly above the tire.

I fully expected the same thing to happen as a result of the straps rubbing across the shock springs, but when I inspected the straps upon arriving home there wasn't a single additional mark on them. I still don't trust that method, however, plus I don't like how it looks.

cookiemech, my intent is definitely not to torture all you Eskimos out there, holed up in your cozy igloos. Not at all. My hope is that these little missives will serve as inspirational fuel for the fire to help you make it through these cold, dark winter days.

Also, someone here (I can't recall who) requested these reviews, including pictures, and I'm happy to oblige.
 
I don't run my straps under the fender. I run them under the seat and then replace the seat. Either that or I attach them to the grab rail, the rear set, or some other hard part. I have not ever had problems with fraying from the straps rubbing on the springs/shocks. Is it possible that your straps loosened enough for them to rub against the tire? I had a loose end of a strap that I failed to tuck away properly bounce against the tire for an hour or so and it looked something like your straps do. Just a thought.

If you're concerned about the looks, then I'd tuck the straps under the seat itself. It's a little bit of a pain, but all the straps stay secure and hidden.
 
Thanks for the report, MTC did not say it but both Wi. and ILL. got dumped on with snow last night so it was nice to see your pictures.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea, yes, your theory is possible. Lacking any other answer, anything is possible. For all I know, space aliens might have done it.

I did have them strapped to the grab rail, but I ran them beneath the fender rather than beneath the seat. I didn't think the seat would latch with those bulky straps in the way, and I was worried about the straps rubbing right through the bottom edges of the seat. If you're saying this method doesn't harm the seat, I'll give it a try.

mickey, nope, I'm not going to push this bike beyond my comfort level, either real or imagined. It's simply not that important to me to extract that last Nth of sporting performance from her. I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't buy her to go as fast as possible on Skaggs Springs Rd. I bought her in an effort to enjoy slowing down a bit. It just so happens that she's not slowing me down in the corners as much as I thought she would, at least until her tires began squirming on Skaggs.

That was enough warning for me. It was time to remember Plan A, and stick to it.
 
Fantastic review, VLJ. I'll go against the grain and recommend better rubber if you want to push a little harder in those corners. The Z8s I have on my 2014 are excellent, and have seen track and hard cornering without fail. The only time I've been able to get the rear to step out was on the track, and it was very predictable with a handful of low gear throttle.
 
I found the slouch a little hard on the back at first. I am 6’2” tall and rode a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. The CB500 had a very upright riding position.

There is a thread on the GenMar bar risers. They raise the bars 1” and set them back 1 3/8” to provide a more upright riding position. I just bought a pair, but won’t be able to test them until May.

I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.

As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.

A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake. When turning the rear while lubing the chain, I noticed the rear wheel did not turn freely. After a number of day rides the rear disk discoloured. Honda Canada had my dealer replace the disk and pads under warranty. Unfortunately now the rear brake is totally useless. I think the brake line was not bled properly.

Not a problem for me because I seldom use it. I down gear to slow down and then use the front brakes to stop. An old British bike habit I have never broken.

The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.

A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.

As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far. My tail bag looks to be lighter than yours. It is used to carry clothes: rain gear, down-filled long sleeve vest, extra gloves, etc. I have the Honda rear rack being delivered. I will probably fasten my tail bag on it, as I do have some semi-soft saddlebags that I might use.

To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.

Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
I found the slouch a little hard on the back at first. I am 6’2” tall and rode a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. The CB500 had a very upright riding position.

There is a thread on the GenMar bar risers. They raise the bars 1” and set them back 1 3/8” to provide a more upright riding position. I just bought a pair, but won’t be able to test them until May.

I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.

As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.

A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake. When turning the rear while lubing the chain, I noticed the rear wheel did not turn freely. After a number of day rides the rear disk discoloured. Honda Canada had my dealer replace the disk and pads under warranty. Unfortunately now the rear brake is totally useless. I think the brake line was not bled properly.

Not a problem for me because I seldom use it. I down gear to slow down and then use the front brakes to stop. An old British bike habit I have never broken.

The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.

A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.

As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far. My tail bag looks to be lighter than yours. It is used to carry clothes: rain gear, down-filled long sleeve vest, extra gloves, etc. I have the Honda rear rack being delivered. I will probably fasten my tail bag on it, as I do have some semi-soft saddlebags that I might use.

To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.

Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.

Ahem, do you think, that's a good idea? Aspirin is a blood-thinner and could bring you into trouble, when involved in an accident with inner or outer injuries.

jm2c
 
So did you scrape your pegs on this outing? I remember your concern about that, so much so, that you posted pics of a CB and a Bonnie going thru turns and how much more clearance the Bonnie had, and how you had read reports about how early the CB scraped the feelers etc.

Btw I'm headed out the the Kawasaki dealer today ( I was going to stop at the Honda/ Yamaha dealer but I texted the owner this morning and no Wing yet) so I may ride up and see if the Kaw dealer 90 miles away has a Z900RS on the floor yet.
Django_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
I found the slouch a little hard on the back at first. I am 6’2” tall and rode a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. The CB500 had a very upright riding position.

There is a thread on the GenMar bar risers. They raise the bars 1” and set them back 1 3/8” to provide a more upright riding position. I just bought a pair, but won’t be able to test them until May.

I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.

As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.

A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake. When turning the rear while lubing the chain, I noticed the rear wheel did not turn freely. After a number of day rides the rear disk discoloured. Honda Canada had my dealer replace the disk and pads under warranty. Unfortunately now the rear brake is totally useless. I think the brake line was not bled properly.

Not a problem for me because I seldom use it. I down gear to slow down and then use the front brakes to stop. An old British bike habit I have never broken.

The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.

A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.

As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far. My tail bag looks to be lighter than yours. It is used to carry clothes: rain gear, down-filled long sleeve vest, extra gloves, etc. I have the Honda rear rack being delivered. I will probably fasten my tail bag on it, as I do have some semi-soft saddlebags that I might use.

To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.

Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.

Ahem, do you think, that's a good idea? Aspirin is a blood-thinner and could bring you into trouble, when involved in an accident with inner or outer injuries.

jm2c

Ahem, do you think, that's a good idea? Aspirin is a blood-thinner and could bring you into trouble, when involved in an accident with inner or outer injuries.

jm2c
Django, my doctor (also a motorcyclist) recommended taking an ibuprofen (non steroidal anti inflammatory) before a long ride to ward off inflammation and stiffness after a long day in the saddle. Has worked well for me over the years.
 
Django_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
I found the slouch a little hard on the back at first. I am 6’2” tall and rode a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. The CB500 had a very upright riding position.

There is a thread on the GenMar bar risers. They raise the bars 1” and set them back 1 3/8” to provide a more upright riding position. I just bought a pair, but won’t be able to test them until May.

I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.

As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.

A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake. When turning the rear while lubing the chain, I noticed the rear wheel did not turn freely. After a number of day rides the rear disk discoloured. Honda Canada had my dealer replace the disk and pads under warranty. Unfortunately now the rear brake is totally useless. I think the brake line was not bled properly.

Not a problem for me because I seldom use it. I down gear to slow down and then use the front brakes to stop. An old British bike habit I have never broken.

The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.

A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.

As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far. My tail bag looks to be lighter than yours. It is used to carry clothes: rain gear, down-filled long sleeve vest, extra gloves, etc. I have the Honda rear rack being delivered. I will probably fasten my tail bag on it, as I do have some semi-soft saddlebags that I might use.

To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.

Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.

Ahem, do you think, that's a good idea? Aspirin is a blood-thinner and could bring you into trouble, when involved in an accident with inner or outer injuries.

jm2c

According to my doctor Aspirins are also hard on the stomach. So she gave me 1mg hydromorphone pills instead in case I suffer discomfort passing a kidney stone. I could use one of those .....naught!

But unlike the Ferret I only ride once a week during the summer and don't always take a 325mg Aspirin unless my back is bothering me. Fortunately after my last physiotherapy session in the fall my back no longer bothers me, so I don't think I will need them.
 
Thread starter
johnf514, yes, grippier rubber would likely help me to corner harder, but as I said in the original post, it wouldn't make too much of a difference. For one thing, it's mostly a perception thing on my part. In general, I trust the bike in the corners. It was only at Skaggs with its sustained high-load corners, in particular those very fast downhill corners, that made me worry about stuffing the front in hard, and it was as much the combination of the weight of the bike and the narrow width of the tires as it was the squirming of the tires that gave me pause. Also, I didn't buy this bike to explore its outer limits of aggressive cornering. I bought it for the exact opposite reason, to stop doing that on public roads, while still enjoying myself at saner speeds.

mickey, nope, I never touched a peg down. I smacked the centerstand once, in a quick-depression righthander, but that was it. I still don't understand how the bike is scraping so badly in so many videos, when I see how little lean angle was needed to produce those showers of sparks. My rides at Mosquito Ridge and Skaggs were much faster and the lean angles far more severe than we see in any of those videos.

I'm at a loss to explain it. All I can come up with is I must really suck, even more than I already think I do.

Nortoon_imp said:
I found the slouch a little hard on the back at first. I am 6’2” tall and rode a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. The CB500 had a very upright riding position.

There is a thread on the GenMar bar risers. They raise the bars 1” and set them back 1 3/8” to provide a more upright riding position. I just bought a pair, but won’t be able to test them until May.

I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.

As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.

A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake. When turning the rear while lubing the chain, I noticed the rear wheel did not turn freely. After a number of day rides the rear disk discoloured. Honda Canada had my dealer replace the disk and pads under warranty. Unfortunately now the rear brake is totally useless. I think the brake line was not bled properly.

Not a problem for me because I seldom use it. I down gear to slow down and then use the front brakes to stop. An old British bike habit I have never broken.

The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.

A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.

As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far. My tail bag looks to be lighter than yours. It is used to carry clothes: rain gear, down-filled long sleeve vest, extra gloves, etc. I have the Honda rear rack being delivered. I will probably fasten my tail bag on it, as I do have some semi-soft saddlebags that I might use.

To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.

Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.

I will not change the bars or add risers to this bike. Just won't do it. For one thing, rasing the bars would increase the windblast on the freeway, necessitating the addition of a windscreen, as was the case when I added bar risers to the XSR.

Not...gonna...do.. it. I will not mar her beautiful face. I'm not touching a thing on her.

Quote:I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.
I take Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve, etc. Yeah. The main thing is just to move around a lot, and sit up to straighten out my back every so often. Anyway, by the second day I was noticing it much less than on the first day. I'm getting used to it. I doubt it will be a continuing issue.

Quote:As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.
One of these days I'll probably just time it so that I coast into a gas station just as the fuel runs dry, as I did on my Street Triple R when I had the same question regarding the fuel capacity on that bike.

Quote:A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake.
No issues so far with the back brake, and the squealing from the front brakes had stopped by the time I arrived back home. We'll see whether it comes back.

Quote:The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.
100% accurate, on all points. I prefer higher revs in the corners, for precisely the reason you stated.

Quote:A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.
I am loathe to switch tire models on this bike. Reason being, this bike turns better than any bike I have ever owned. Or, to put it more accurately, I prefer the steering of this bike to that of any other bike I've ever ridden. It's preternaturally intuitive. It's so easy, so consistent, and so accurate.

I couldn't love it more, and I don't want to do anything to alter it. I fear that switching to stickier rubber will also mean a different profile, which might change the characteristics of the beautiful steering I have now.

I also don't want to sacrifice the mileage just so I can corner harder, not on this bike. I'd rather retain this steering, and pile up the miles.

Quote:As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far
Good to know, and EmptySea says the same. Hopeful news, indeed.

Quote:To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.
Ordering some up right now. I already use "non-fling" chain wax, but I'll try your stuff.

Quote:Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.
I have ProtectAll. Once it runs out, I'll see if I can find some Honda polish. That stuff was the best on the market, until Honda was forced to stop producing it, at least for the California market. If it's available again here, I'll stock up on it for sure.
 
Wow. Great story VLJ. Yeah on those straps I'd use the luggage tabs built into the bike. Couple of bungees nice and snug and you're good to go. - That twisty road reminds me of my brother's rides on the Dragon in TN. My old VFR750 would gobble that road up for sure. - Good to hear that the tires gave you some warning and that you noticed it. It's the bad news about 18 inch rims and narrow tires. But as everyone says, back off the throttle sooner and she's good to go. Keep up the ride reports. Really enjoyable reading here in the freezing Northeast!
 
Thread starter
nhawk7504, I tried using the bungee-hook mounting spools on the bike, but they didn't offer enough distance from the straps to provide the necessary tension. Using the bungee net I just bought, I find that the front set of bungee spools work well, but the rear set doesn't provide sufficient break angle for this application. Instead, I mount the rear hooks to the grab rail, behind the rear bungee spools.

Bit by bit, I'm getting there.
 
Just to clear the air on tires on the new bike, it does come with radial tires. In some
cases it is ok to run radials with tubes. I lost count of all the motard tires I have mounted but they do have some tubes that used just for that purpose. I am running
the Z8s and like them.
 
VLJ_imp said:
johnf514, yes, grippier rubber would likely help me to corner harder, but as I said in the original post, it wouldn't make too much of a difference. For one thing, it's mostly a perception thing on my part. In general, I trust the bike in the corners. It was only at Skaggs with its sustained high-load corners, in particular those very fast downhill corners, that made me worry about stuffing the front in hard, and it was as much the combination of the weight of the bike and the narrow width of the tires as it was the squirming of the tires that gave me pause. Also, I didn't buy this bike to explore its outer limits of aggressive cornering. I bought it for the exact opposite reason, to stop doing that on public roads, while still enjoying myself at saner speeds.

mickey, nope, I never touched a peg down. I smacked the centerstand once, in a quick-depression righthander, but that was it. I still don't understand how the bike is scraping so badly in so many videos, when I see how little lean angle was needed to produce those showers of sparks. My rides at Mosquito Ridge and Skaggs were much faster and the lean angles far more severe than we see in any of those videos.

I'm at a loss to explain it. All I can come up with is I must really suck, even more than I already think I do.

Nortoon_imp said:
I found the slouch a little hard on the back at first. I am 6’2” tall and rode a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. The CB500 had a very upright riding position.

There is a thread on the GenMar bar risers. They raise the bars 1” and set them back 1 3/8” to provide a more upright riding position. I just bought a pair, but won’t be able to test them until May.

I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.

As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.

A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake. When turning the rear while lubing the chain, I noticed the rear wheel did not turn freely. After a number of day rides the rear disk discoloured. Honda Canada had my dealer replace the disk and pads under warranty. Unfortunately now the rear brake is totally useless. I think the brake line was not bled properly.

Not a problem for me because I seldom use it. I down gear to slow down and then use the front brakes to stop. An old British bike habit I have never broken.

The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.

A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.

As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far. My tail bag looks to be lighter than yours. It is used to carry clothes: rain gear, down-filled long sleeve vest, extra gloves, etc. I have the Honda rear rack being delivered. I will probably fasten my tail bag on it, as I do have some semi-soft saddlebags that I might use.

To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.

Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.

I will not change the bars or add risers to this bike. Just won't do it. For one thing, rasing the bars would increase the windblast on the freeway, necessitating the addition of a windscreen, as was the case when I added bar risers to the XSR.

Not...gonna...do.. it. I will not mar her beautiful face. I'm not touching a thing on her.

Quote:I have also used the Ferret method of taking an Aspirin before starting out.
I take Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve, etc. Yeah. The main thing is just to move around a lot, and sit up to straighten out my back every so often. Anyway, by the second day I was noticing it much less than on the first day. I'm getting used to it. I doubt it will be a continuing issue.

Quote:As Cormanus has mentioned, the EX fuel tank and gas gauge question has yet to be solved. However you could try my test method on your next ride. You will have to do the math to convert from liters and kilometers, and use your average gas mileage.
One of these days I'll probably just time it so that I coast into a gas station just as the fuel runs dry, as I did on my Street Triple R when I had the same question regarding the fuel capacity on that bike.

Quote:A number of us have complained about the front brakes squealing when the EX comes to a stop. I had a further problem with the back brake.
No issues so far with the back brake, and the squealing from the front brakes had stopped by the time I arrived back home. We'll see whether it comes back.

Quote:The EX motor will coast in 6th gear when the throttle is rolled back. Less so in the lower gears. I take advantage of the slipper clutch and downshift before entering a corner. I also find adjusting the line easier with the lower gears and slightly higher revs.
100% accurate, on all points. I prefer higher revs in the corners, for precisely the reason you stated.

Quote:A number of CB1100 riders have found Michelin tires better when cornering. I found the same thing when I installed them on my CB500XA. Unfortunately running tubes in radial tires is not recommended, although many riders do.

The Dunlop tires used on the EX are not presently available in North America. I spoke to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire representative in Dayton to confirm this. So far I have found people with similar spoke wheeled motorcycles are using the Avon AM26 Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Tires. I believe some of the members of this forum have used the Bridgestone tires on their earlier model CBs.
I am loathe to switch tire models on this bike. Reason being, this bike turns better than any bike I have ever owned. Or, to put it more accurately, I prefer the steering of this bike to that of any other bike I've ever ridden. It's preternaturally intuitive. It's so easy, so consistent, and so accurate.

I couldn't love it more, and I don't want to do anything to alter it. I fear that switching to stickier rubber will also mean a different profile, which might change the characteristics of the beautiful steering I have now.

I also don't want to sacrifice the mileage just so I can corner harder, not on this bike. I'd rather retain this steering, and pile up the miles.

Quote:As I ride alone, I have my Nelson-Riggs tail bag strapped to the passenger peg area. None of the four straps have chaffed on the shock springs so far
Good to know, and EmptySea says the same. Hopeful news, indeed.

Quote:To lessen the cleaning of the rear rim and spokes, change to Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. It goes on white, dries clear, and won't fling like change lube. Because it dries to a wax, it tends not to pick up road grime.
Ordering some up right now. I already use "non-fling" chain wax, but I'll try your stuff.

Quote:Using Honda or Ipone Cleaner and Polish to clean the rim and spokes helps keep the road grime from sticking as well.
I have ProtectAll. Once it runs out, I'll see if I can find some Honda polish. That stuff was the best on the market, until Honda was forced to stop producing it, at least for the California market. If it's available again here, I'll stock up on it for sure.

Fair point, this bike does entice a certain dial-it-back feeling while riding. Not for like of capability, more to enjoy the essence we've spoken about here often.
 
Back
Top