The LOW mileage thread: For those who don't ride much

DocRid_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hit 2 years of ownership a couple weeks ago, and I also hit 2k miles finally :clap:

It's not like I don't ride either; I use my bike to commute to work often but it's only a 3 mile trip. For reference, my truck is 3 years old and only has 16k miles on it. I did start this summer off with a broken foot thanks to cycle training with a Road King, so that didn't help...

Perhaps I'm being meticulous, but I'm thinking about changing the oil for the 3rd time already. I did one right away at 500 miles which I hit pretty quick, and one last summer. Guess I'll just do one every year for peace of mind. Original battery is doing good, for I keep it on a battery tender often.

Where's all the other low-mileage people at? :hello:
 
I'm guilty of low mileage too with only 4,764 km's (2,978 miles) on my '14.
Truth be told, I have too many bikes and they don't get ridden enough, but each one has it's own personality and I'm not ready to part with any yet.
It's raining today, but I plan to ride the CB tomorrow - promise :D :D :D
 
According to KBB

What is the average yearly mileage for a motorcycle?

Obviously mileage will vary from year to year and model to model. A simple guide could be to consider the type of bike you are looking at: If the bike is a sportbike 600 c.c. to 999 c.c., and since these bikes are traditionally weekend only bikes, you can expect to see lower miles, about 3,000 miles per year. Tourers or Sport Tourers usually see a lot of miles, but these are generally freeway miles, between 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year.
 
I have only 15K on my 13 that I picked up on 3/1/2013, I am retired and can ride when I want to but unlike some here I am on a very fixed income I so I tend to pick my ride days on the best days to ride. I also just bought a second street bike- Versys
300X so am spending some gas money on it also.
 
Only 625 miles (just over 1000km) on my '14 deluxe. It had 360 miles in March of this year when I bought it. It was boxed in my shed for awhile while the landscapers took their time finishing a walkway for me. Here's a before (during) and after shot.
fb45cdc339cd95c66b3b319a3169d25e.jpg
8603d6b085165f6724a9658a7b9d5867.jpg
 
Guilty. I've only ridden my DLX about 6000 miles over the past two years, but it splits time with several other bikes and only gets ridden on day rides, not overnights or extended trips. Besides, the weather and road conditions here limit the number of days I can get out. I routinely rode 20-30k miles annually when I lived in San Diego, but that's not happening around here!
 
Just a foot note to my other post, I just got back form a 150 mile ride ( it is very nice
day here) and I got over 60 mpg. That's a first for this bike , I did have a slight tail wind of maybe 6 or 7 mph.
 
It's an interesting discussion. Miles ridden may well be a product of location + time + inclination. If you have to work, live close to work, and commute on your bike you probably won't ride too far each year unless you have lots of time off and use all of it riding.

If you have to work, live a goodly distance from work, and commute on your bike you'll ride further than the person above, but still not an enormous amount unless you have lots of time off and use all of it riding.

If you're retired and are into riding big time and have plenty of available time and the inclination, you'll ride lots more than either of the people above.

I could go on with this, but I'm sure you get the drift.
 
DocRid_imp said:
Hit 2 years of ownership a couple weeks ago, and I also hit 2k miles finally :clap:

It's not like I don't ride either; I use my bike to commute to work often but it's only a 3 mile trip. For reference, my truck is 3 years old and only has 16k miles on it. I did start this summer off with a broken foot thanks to cycle training with a Road King, so that didn't help...

Perhaps I'm being meticulous, but I'm thinking about changing the oil for the 3rd time already. I did one right away at 500 miles which I hit pretty quick, and one last summer. Guess I'll just do one every year for peace of mind. Original battery is doing good, for I keep it on a battery tender often.

Where's all the other low-mileage people at? :hello:
I definitely belong in this group. Fortunately or unfortunately I still work full time, often 60 plus hours a week. While I love to ride, still have a family. I have four bikes but really only ride three of them. The three that I ride were all purchased new with less than 10 miles.

My 2010 VMAX was purchased in January of 2010, has a total of 9,805 miles, 364 from this year.

My 2013 CB1100 was purchased in June of 2013, has a total 0f 3,061 miles, 144 from this year.

My 2014 Ultra Limited was purchased in September of 2014, has a total of 11,689 miles, 1895 from this year. This bike replaced my 2005 Road King that had roughly 36,000 miles when traded in September of 2014.

All bikes combined, I typically ride a little over 4,000 miles a year. Although every couple of years will take a trip out west to places like South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona.

The limited mileage on my CB1100 doesn’t mean I don’t love it. I love almost everything about it and have no regrets in purchasing it. My biggest complaint is the seat is a deal breaker by the time I hit a hundred miles. I have thought about purchasing a Corbin, but like the classic look of the stock seat. My Ultra ends up being used the most because of all day comfort for rider and passengers, especially when my wife is not ridding her own bike. It also has nice weather protection for early spring and late fall and the ability to carry other gear. I hope to ride much more once retired, probably in about two years. I foresee a day when I am older that the CB1100 could be my only bike because it is so lite weight by comparison.
 
I was one of those that commuted a short distance each day for work. The CB11 also shared that duty with my CB750 so I averaged less than 4K miles per year on it.

I happened to retire on my CB11's fourth birthday and have been making up for lost time. I've put about 5K miles on it in the last 4 months, with more to go.

I think my old Nissan truck would qualify for this thread. Since I spend all my time on the two CBs, it only manages about 3K miles per year. :D
 
I read a report... don't recall the source... but it said that the average rider rides 1500 miles per year in the USA. I think I believe that based on the number 2 year old bikes for sale with less than 3K on the clock

I ride a 2012 GL1800, which I like like a lot. But, I don't do much long distance touring. As Goldwing riders go, I'm a low miler

Bought it new in June of 2013 and have 28,500 on her now... Remember though, its not quantity of miles, but the number of smiles that matter. Keep the shiny side up!
:celebrate:
 
9569136ff913c7cf8f8499917092ae88.jpg


2300 mi so far on this '14 DLX :-)
Shipped here in greater Chicagoland area sometime May 2017 from MS (Ridem32)






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You're a good man, Jedd. Thank you.

Does the odometer really say 6666?
 
Back
Top