The Joy of EX

Captain Klutz_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
[Title chosen to avoid the more obvious "Sex with the EX".]

After an endless 6 weeks of waiting she is finally in. I brought her home today, safe and dry, just before two weeks of rain begin tomorrow...

The VIN is 625, which everybody easily recognizes as 5 to the power of FOUR.

I had her dealer pre-farkled with the chrome meter cover (08F72-MGC-D30) and the chrome head light case (08F71-MGC-D30). Here's what the result looks like up close:


The Pyramid Fenda Extenda is already on my desk and engine guards are in the mail.
The Kawasaki W650 gaiters are an option as soon as I find a place where they don't rob me blind for two pieces of rubber. No RLETs at the time, but maybe some HBET (handle bar end thingies) in the future, or even custom break/throttle handles. We'll see.

The first 41km were just amazing. Even though the EX certainly does look mightier than the 2013 I had a test ride on (due to the bigger = wider tank), it feels almost the same. It does vibrate a little more at the handles, which might be expected for a brand new bike. I can only look up to this piece of Japanese engineering!
 
Looks awesome Captain :thumbsup: You are going to love this bike.

and thanks for the part number on the meter covers. Was at my dealer earlier today to see if they had the number yet, and they said Honda hadn't released the number yet...HA! Fat lie :@

hmmm that's the same part number of the 13 CB 11's. The gauges are way different. Doesn't seem right?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Looks awesome Captain :thumbsup: You are going to love this bike.

and thanks for the part number on the meter covers. Was at my dealer earlier today to see if they had the number yet, and they said Honda hadn't released the number yet...HA! Fat lie :@

hmmm that's the same part number of the 13 CB 11's. The gauges are way different. Doesn't seem right?
That's at least what it says on the order form dated March 31st 2014. Maybe the dealer didn't know any better and used the '13 part numbers for lack of '14 numbers. I'll ask the dealer about it and report back here.

Would the part number be somewhere on the inside? Then I could disassemble it and peek. I can say for sure that the covers and headlight case touch, but not with stress.
 
Captain, doubt part number is on the part, but I believe the dealer did not have the correct part or correct information and what you got was a 13 part not made for the 14. they should not touch the headlight shell. regular road vibration would eventually make a mark on both I would think.

I would certainly query the dealer and ask for the correct part installed when it becomes available.

Let us know what he says.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Captain, doubt part number is on the part, but I believe the dealer did not have the correct part or correct information and what you got was a 13 part not made for the 14. they should not touch the headlight shell. regular road vibration would eventually make a mark on both I would think.

I would certainly query the dealer and ask for the correct part installed when it becomes available.

Let us know what he says.
Will do. Do you have actual '14 meter covers? If so, can you or anyone else provide dimensions? That would provide some facts, which is always a good thing to have.
 
no I will get them when they become available, but the meters are different than the 13s and I don't believe they would use the same part. like I said somewhere the depth on the meter itself below the narrow black band which is below the wide chrome band on the 14's is only 1 1/2" deep. If the chrome cups on yours are any deeper than that I would think they are the wrong part. I thought I remembered someone saying they attached with double stick tape to the bottom of the instruments
 
Congratulations Captain, you'll definitely love this bike.

But based on your weather forecast: are you located in the northern part of Germany? I am with my EX in Hamburg
 
Hey Captain or itsme ...will you check your tires and see if they are tubed or tubeless on the side walls please?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Hey Captain or itsme ...will you check your tires and see if they are tubed or tubeless on the side walls please?
They're TUBE TYPE Dunlop D205 140/70 R18 M/G 67V (rear) and TUBE TYPE Dunlop D205F 110/80 R18 M/G 85V (front).
At least they're in the proper orientation. :P

I retract my former statement that the meter cover is not pressing against the head light. I tried to lift the cover to make a small gap but had to use more force than I considered acceptable. It does indeed look like the covers are too long. Wonder what the dealer will reply. :s
itsme67_imp said:
Congratulations Captain, you'll definitely love this bike.

But based on your weather forecast: are you located in the northern part of Germany? I am with my EX in Hamburg
Schwobaländle. It appears that motorcyclists suffer from the same phenomenon that haunts the hobbyist astronomer: the duration of cloudy skies is directly proportional to the aperture of the telescope you just bought.
 
Thread starter
Ferret, the dealer says he asked the Honda mechanic and verified the part numbers.
The parts would apply to both the 2013 and 2014 models. I shouldn't worry about dents from vibrations but they offered to have a look and discuss when I bring the machine for the 1000km inspection.

I'll send them the Samurider link, http://www.samurider.com/?p=13155
Assuming these are actually Honda parts and Honda ever gets around to produce and ship them (a lot of ifs...), they are way shorter and there is clearly a gap.

But then, the longer I look at them, the more I appreciate the BIG FAT METERS and they make the machine unique in her own special way :thumbsup:
 
Honda of America told me the '13 cups do not fit the '14. Looks like they just made them fit to me.
 
"Schwobaländle. It appears that motorcyclists suffer from the same phenomenon that haunts the hobbyist astronomer: the duration of cloudy skies is directly proportional to the aperture of the telescope you just bought. "

I've been active on Cloudy Nights.com for many years, an astronomy forum, as we know that logic intimately. By chance are you in the hobby too?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Honda of America told me the '13 cups do not fit the '14. Looks like they just made them fit to me.
Honda of America is correct! I have a DLX and bought the '13 covers online thinking they were the same. They do not fit the '14. The shape of the meter has a different indentation towards the center and the '14 are shorter as everybody points out. Even the bolt that holds them is a different diameter.

I also bought the '13 rear carrier (does not fit either) and headlight case (I have yet to try it but I bet it does not work either since the OEM part numbers are different)

:dodgy:
 
Panama Biker_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Honda of America told me the '13 cups do not fit the '14. Looks like they just made them fit to me.
Honda of America is correct! I have a DLX and bought the '13 covers online thinking they were the same. They do not fit the '14. The shape of the meter has a different indentation towards the center and the '14 are shorter as everybody points out. Even the bolt that holds them is a different diameter.

I also bought the '13 rear carrier (does not fit either) and headlight case (I have yet to try it but I bet it does not work either since the OEM part numbers are different)

:dodgy:
Honda of America is correct! I have a DLX and bought the '13 covers online thinking they were the same. They do not fit the '14. The shape of the meter has a different indentation towards the center and the '14 are shorter as everybody points out. Even the bolt that holds them is a different diameter.

I also bought the '13 rear carrier (does not fit either) and headlight case (I have yet to try it but I bet it does not work either since the OEM part numbers are different)

:dodgy: I would love to you if the head case chrome cover works on the 2014 DLX as I have one on order from Mr. T .
 
Back
Top