The Indiana Loop

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Getting ready for the Fall Men's Trip this year, we are calling the "OKI trip" (Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana) I was scouting a loop in Indiana today. Turned out to be pretty nice except the 1st and last hour, getting to/from Indiana is either an hour by freeway, or an hour cutting thru Cincinnati from the east side to the west side.

Today's loop... (which I named the Chief White Eye creek and river loop)

We took the route thru Cinti on the way to Indiana. Once in Indiana we (my wife and I ) took 50 west to 62 at Dillsboro, 62 south thru Friendship (where a giant primitive event is held every year) a jog on 129 then back on 62 (also known at this point as the "Chief White Eye Trail" for some reason, according to the sign as you turn off 129 (I googled it with little luck) on down to 56 at Madison on the Ohio River (where a giant speed boat regatta is held every year). We ate lunch at a quaint little place in Madison (where I had black cracked pepper potato chips with my sandwich for the first time.. wife liked them, me not so much), Then east/north up 56, following the Ohio Scenic Byway back to 50 at Aurora. Once on 50 we picked up I-275 and followed it south around Cinti to the eastern side.

7c486861b42e41bdb8f92433ac42ada2.jpg


215 miles altogether. It was pretty scenic and the roads were somewhat hilly and pretty curvy. Probably best I can do for a loop in se Indiana, according to the maps I've looked at.
 
Is Brown County, IN or the Hoosier National Forest too far afield for your trip? Some nice roads in both areas. I think I road part of your loop on my way down to TN on my solo trip in 2013
 
Thread starter
Sea I was considering taking the group to Brown county then cutting over 135 down to 56 over to Madison, but Di and I went over a couple weeks ago and 135 is closed just south of Nashville. Would probably turn into more like a 300 mile day if I went that route, but I agree with you about some pretty decent roads over that way.
 
That's a good ride. I've done most of it.

I think that to truly enjoy southern Indiana, in some regards you have to abandon the pursuit of curves and instead go for a "road less traveled" mindset. There are some really unpopulated and picturesque areas where the roads are straight, yes, but you can enjoy an interesting landscape regarding agriculture, forgotten small towns and the people who live there, and yesteryear's architecture. Often the land is undulating, giving you a "roller coaster" ride. Other times, you realize that you're riding on level ground punctuated by brief dives down into and up out of creeks and rivers. Sometimes you are surprised by a dead right-angle turn that comes unexpectedly. It makes for interesting riding.

a86bf2adb3581878906066f51eedfd75.jpg


b1e8065e773c250fb610028cae82e3ef.jpg


66be6d2082f679238fa046372ca65bbd.jpg


58bbce049ed608f756bc11251c7fb631.jpg


aca358bd29014b55d53297eb9fdae44b.jpg


e8da831a5f93cac244ba7915d5280e78.jpg


3f90030da1a0675c8660f2d97f2a00a0.jpg


a5a4a86fd89ea9b2af9be548135cecfd.jpg


dac726fc3a4f5b5437f6c1829cc7d1ef.jpg


dd142b2b1152b75820f1cd5a1a733d14.jpg


a99612d138b48cd35564dc493a8bed76.jpg
 
Some lovely country there, Stichill.
 
Ferret, I just noticed a high-tech map in your post. Who says you can't teach an old dog? Nice one.
 
Thread starter
Yea its not like the nice maps you do Cormanus. Notice there are no waypoints connected. My map was done using a tool called SNIP IT and their pen. I have been doing maps like that for years. Notice how thin the red line is. Pales in comparison to the maps you do.

Btw Snip It is also how I captured the pic of bigsheep racing his CB1100.
 
I did a tutorial here on Google Maps once. It's got a whole lot better since then> Maybe I should update it.
 
Back
Top