The future of Harley-Davidson

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
The CEO of Harley-Davidson is in Australia for the launch of the latest model range. He gave an interview to a local newspaper. Copyright considerations mean I can't reprint it here, but members interested in his views on the future can read it here.
 
The main takeaway from reading that article is that Harleys are obscenely overpriced. The guy fully admits that the only thing saving their bacon at the moment is the huge profit margins built into all their products. He also promises to continue this pricing policy with their smaller, more youth-oriented products.

Yeah, good luck with that.
 
I hope Harley-Davidson starts focusing on making motorcycles that are competent, aesthetic, mid-range affordable, and built to create desire to own vs. to create media buzz and garner politically-correct accolades.
 
imho they should have a year with the entire line done in red white and blue with lots of stars and stripes and flames and stuff. who the h wants a denim blue harley?

i'm ok with price i paid for my low rider. just wish it was red white and blue instead of red black and blue
 
Going to be a tough road to hoe. 5 straight years of sales declines and 103 years of " here's what we make. If you don''t like it, go F yourself you weinie"
 
Ferret, in my 4ish years on this forum that has got to be the most hardcore thing I've ever heard you say (and as usual it's entirely true)! I'm glad a wasn't sipping my drink while reading that.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Ferret, in my 4ish years on this forum that has got to be the most hardcore thing I've ever heard you say (and as usual it's entirely true)! I'm glad a wasn't sipping my drink while reading that.
I thought the same thing...like maybe the Ferret’s account got hacked! :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
Going to be a tough road to hoe. 5 straight years of sales declines and 103 years of " here's what we make. If you don''t like it, go F yourself you weinie"
+1 :beerchug:
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Ferret, in my 4ish years on this forum that has got to be the most hardcore thing I've ever heard you say (and as usual it's entirely true)! I'm glad a wasn't sipping my drink while reading that.
+1 :)
 
Harley’s bikes, or discussions thereof have a reputation of bringing out the repressed inner hoodlum in a lot of individuals. Only proves Ferret is human.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Going to be a tough road to hoe. 5 straight years of sales declines and 103 years of " here's what we make. If you don''t like it, go F yourself you weinie"
In all my years, I've never seen anything written about motorcycles that is so wrong, so incorrect. It makes me so mad, it makes my blood boil when I see something like that in print.

So I'll just say it aloud - you mis-spelled weenie!

Everything else is correct.
 
:rofl: yea I'd hate to see Harley go under, but when they got rid of Buell to "concentrate on their core customer base", it really spoke volumes about how they felt about the rest of motorcycling and the motorcycling world. IMO if they do go under, they brought it upon themselves.

I've owned 6 Harleys, and would own another if they made something I liked and which I could separate myself from the Sons of Arthritis canvas that the Harley lifestyle has painted itself into. Really burned out on the doo rag, loud pipes, black sleeveless t shirt, growling face, non waving crowd that seems to represent the Motor Company that I see multiple times every day. Went for a 40 mile ride on my CB today and passed a single, 2 groups of 2 and a group of 3 .... all, like I described above..
 
Owned six HDs?

While still hot, would love to read a Harley review covered by The Ferret. :)

Maybe started easy and review the HD baby clothes line up.
 
My dad rode Harleys, my older brother rode Harleys, I rode Harleys and my younger brother rode Harleys. My dad and my older brother have since passed. I ride Japanese I-4s and my younger brother rides a new Triumph Bonneville. My son who never rode Harleys rides a Japanese I-4.

I must admit my last new Harley was 35 years ago, a 1994 XLCH bought brand new (a gift from my wife). I liked it very much. It was just like my 1959 XLCH I had gotten used in 1969, a year after graduating High School, only it shifted on the left side, had 5 gears in the tranny, was electric start, had disc brakes, electronic ignition, and didnt leak oil....but it looked and felt like the same bike. Very nostalgic, just like our CB's. It was narrow, torquey, and a hoot to ride. The trans was industrial compared to a Japanese bike, the front end easily topped out over bumps, and the vibrations above 55 mph made my hands tingle and itch. While it was in getting serviced one time, the dealer lent me a Dyna convertible, and I could hardly believe they were made by the same company. In comparison the Dyna was really smooth once up to speed. I could easily have lived with the Dyna for a long time, but not so the Sporster. By then the Japanese were making very good, powerful motorcycles and the Sportster was beginning to wear on me. It was fun around town, but really going anywhere was out of the question, and I was a travelling man, so the Sporty didnt work out and was sold, and replaced with a liter Japanese inline 4. It felt like going home, as big Japanese I-4s were my bike of choice since 1977,

I always felt though, that if they wanted to, Harley could make a competitive sport tourer using that Dyna platform. More upright seating, slight forward lean, feet under the butt with a fairing and bags and comfortable seat. Not like a Road King, more like a ... oh shoot, that independant company that made the V4 sport tourer and recently went out of business.. name escapes me now. More like an FJR or Honda ST 1300 only with a narrow rubber mounted V Twin with belt drive. Unfortunately Harley never decided to give that a try. They just kept pumping out the cruisers. If they had made a sport tourer, I would have certainly given them serious consideration and at least a test ride. I thought the Dyna was a heck of a platform.

I would never fault peoples personal choices in motorcycles. As long as Harley is in business and people choose to buy them I support that, but Harley has known (as we have discussed) for YEARS, that their core customer base is dying out, and rather than make a change, or try anything progressive, to the contrary the 2 progressive moves they did make, buyjng MV Agusta and taking on Erik Buell, they squandered both of those opportunities to concentrate on choppers. Now they are scrambling to stay alive. It will be interesting to see how they do with electric bikes and with their new ADV bike that they are supposedly developing. Unfortunately their electric bike is 35% over priced with the competition, and doesnt appeal to their current customer base or to millenials ( due to price), and they may miss the Adventure craze altogether ( a style which currently appeals to those in the 40's to late 50's age range) or produce something so uncompetitve as to be a dismal failure. We shall see. I wish them well.
 
Were you thinking of Motus?
 
yes, thank you popgun.

A sport-tourer along the Motus lines only with belt drive and a rubber mounted V twin
 
Back
Top