The future of Harley-Davidson

Frulk_imp said:
Tezza. Love that old school picture. Made my day. Makes me feel like it’s the late 60’s/early 70s. You have no idea how many bikes as a kid I saw back then looking just like yours. A springer chopper still gnaws at me now and then. Even though I know how impractical they are. I guess Peter Fonda is to blame for that.
Yes, it all started in 1970. A few of us had joined the Airforce and decided we would be a bit rebellious and build some choppers. I think it all started from my copy of Easyrider issue#1#. They were definitely a police magnet and I don't remember a time when I wasn't pulled over during a ride.
6c8633ae7d854b953da7550fa9f5cf99.jpg

5394ee2a1ec29bdd7cf35b0124efbb84.jpg

This was a mates 650 BSA.
ed71af67158ad768499d8554e373d3b5.jpg

This was the last rebuild of the WLA.Just more of a piece of art than a motorcycle.
 
Tezza_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Tezza. Love that old school picture. Made my day. Makes me feel like it’s the late 60’s/early 70s. You have no idea how many bikes as a kid I saw back then looking just like yours. A springer chopper still gnaws at me now and then. Even though I know how impractical they are. I guess Peter Fonda is to blame for that.
Yes, it all started in 1970. A few of us had joined the Airforce and decided we would be a bit rebellious and build some choppers. I think it all started from my copy of Easyrider issue#1#. They were definitely a police magnet and I don't remember a time when I wasn't pulled over during a ride.
6c8633ae7d854b953da7550fa9f5cf99.jpg

5394ee2a1ec29bdd7cf35b0124efbb84.jpg

This was a mates 650 BSA.
ed71af67158ad768499d8554e373d3b5.jpg

This was the last rebuild of the WLA.Just more of a piece of art than a motorcycle.
Whew! Tezza ... some truly remarkable snaps-in-time. The second pic could easily be mistaken for an album cover of the time.

Seriously hip.

Really great views of some solid machine works.
 
Good lord. The pictures just keep getting better. I forgot how cool we were back then. Oxide is right. That BSA pic could be a period correct album cover. Or a scene out of a yet to be released Boondocks Saint sequel.
 
Here ya go a 19 year old Ferret circa 1969 lol 1956 Harley Panhead my younger brother and I built from a dresser.

63c2bfd1f555945d7bdd3d731c213612.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
Here ya go a 19 year old Ferret circa 1969 lol 1956 Harley Panhead my younger brother and I built from a dresser.

63c2bfd1f555945d7bdd3d731c213612.jpg

Great pic!
f7985d56f5959e531ad784c367e70737.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
- "I'd rather walk than ride a Harley"
- "Then a Harley is the perfect bike for you."

See? That's just funny. No hatred, just humor.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Here ya go a 19 year old Ferret circa 1969 lol 1956 Harley Panhead my younger brother and I built from a dresser.

63c2bfd1f555945d7bdd3d731c213612.jpg
Seen this before?

Still a really good pic too. Happy.

Big bike.

Or, small rider? :)
 
Geez Chinese made with a Benneli engine. Harley Davidson is starting to take on a new meaning...well not entirely new, my first new street bike in 1965 was a "Harley Davidson" made in Italy by Aermacchi.
 
I happen to like it , size as an older rider matters to me. I also hope they import to the States,definitely worth taking a look at .
 
Having seen the bike in a box display at the NYMC show, I can attest that the mis- marketing by Harley has begun. Note attached photo. Hard to see, but the front blinkers on the Bronx were loose and pointing outward on both fork legs. People were pointing and laughing.

The Livewire? Good looking machine, lots of straddling, and one could see the way forward for HD. Until one went to the Energica stand and saw those beautifully turned out Italian electrics, for $13K less, with a far more compelling value prop.

I don’t wish Harley anything but success, and I do hope their late turn towards other market segments works. Their rabid existing customer base may or may not support that pivot, so they’ll have to compete globally. They’ll need more than the 700cc + tariff to make that work this time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
People have been pointing and laughing at HD for years now. It's a shame the big wigs either are blind to it or (more likely) have just dismissed it.

I hope they can pull this new attempt at being relevant off. I don't want to see any American company fail, but it seems to me that they just don't want to do the things necessary to compete. Releasing the Livewire at 3x the ESTABLISHED competitors price, throwing a turd in a box and calling it a launch, etc. They just can't seem to get out of their own way.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
People have been pointing and laughing at HD for years now. It's a shame the big wigs either are blind to it or (more likely) have just dismissed it.

I hope they can pull this new attempt at being relevant off. I don't want to see any American company fail, but it seems to me that they just don't want to do the things necessary to compete. Releasing the Livewire at 3x the ESTABLISHED competitors price, throwing a turd in a box and calling it a launch, etc. They just can't seem to get out of their own way.
:rofl: Man, harsh, but arguably deserved.

Yeah, that is a difficult display to take a photo through. Looks like the bike is disappearing - fading away.
 
I like the orange version of the Dirt Glide. Also, there's just a hint of a second light lens above the wider, lower one in one of the pics in the link. Wish they had better shots of the fairing from several angles. Until then it reminds me of Bender, from Futurama. Oh, and tubeless tires...nice touch and probably to be expected for the price range this will roll in at.

990595e5eb093d318f3795a56733e61d.png
 
Back
Top