The end is near

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Man, lots of people here jumping ship...looks like I'm next.

Despite being relatively young, my hips just can't get along on this bike. I think the saddle to peg distance is too short combined with the pegs not being rear set enough. I think I'm beyond what a set of adjustable peg brackets can achieve. I also don't think the taller K&H saddle will be enough to relax my knees.

I'm 6'1" with long limbs, so I seem to fit best on big, tall adv bikes. My V-strom is comfy, so I'll just ride that until it's 64 hp drives me to boredom.

So, keep an eye on the classifieds. I need to change the oil and detail her out for a photo shoot. By the time I do that, maybe I'll have changed my mind...I'm sorta known for that.
 
Everybody has different needs and nothing wrong with that. I rode the CB1100 for 606 miles total on Friday and Saturday in SW Wyoming. Bike isn't going anywhere! Ran like a scalded banshee. At 6 feet with thick soled boots I was comfortable.
 
Yeah...not that many jumping ship, really. This is just such a great forum that folks take the time to stop in to let us know. As to the comfort, that's such a personal thing. I'm 6'1" and I'm perfectly comfortable for long rides with the stock seat, stock pegs, and no windscreen. I am looking to boost the seat up a small amount so as to reduce the knee bend, but it's not bad enough for me to complain about and when it is bad enough, I figure the cost of raising the seat is far less than the cost of another bike.

I hope you change your mind. You seem to have enjoyed the bike a lot based upon your previous posts. Maybe you can raise the seat a little and lower the pegs just a tiny bit and get the seat position that will work for you. Give it some thought and consider remaining undecided on selling it for another season. There's always next year to make a decision, right? :)
 
Shame that you couldn't make it work for you, but ADV bikes are very comfortable for tall guys. I can see why you'd make the switch. Best of luck and don't be a stranger.
 
Thread starter
It's mostly my hip angle that is too tight and I'm sensitive to that due to a leg length discrepency. I would love to throw a taller seat on and that relieve my discomfort. Truth is, I was facing this not long after I bought the bike. I started with a bar swap, then the saddle, and last footpegs. I'm just afraid to throw more money at it, but maybe I didn't go far enough with the saddle.

I just got rid of my car because of the low seating position bothering my hip. Bought a new pickup since that's comfortable. Took an additional rebate for financing and I have a few months to pay off the loan so the dealer doesn't get penalized by the bank if I pay off the loan right away. I certainly have some time to decide and either way, I don't plan on being a stranger. This is the best forum I have been on ever, period. It's tight knit and that's why you see so many who take the time to announce either their departure or just selling the bike (but many stick around).

My passion for the bike is still strong and that's difficult to deal with. I can go out to the garage and just swoon all over the bike. I can take off on it and the noises it makes are glorious. It has so much soul. Inevitably, after 30 minutes, my lower back gets tight, then my legs, and finally my right hip. The hip discomfort is what lingers longest after I ride. I also have to consider that my car was causing me similar discomfort. Now that has been eliminated, maybe I'll be able to tolerate riding the CB. Still, I fear this is wishful thinking.
 
Way more important that you ride than that you ride this bike. My good friend Glen just switched from his Wing to a K1600 because it fit his ergonomics better. He loved his Wing, but he likes riding without pain more.
 
I've been enjoying my XR650L a bit more (trying to solve some fueling issues too). Due to a 36"+ inseam, the tall dual sport is great to ride on - the seat needs work though. Short wheel base, tall bike, it's like riding in an elevated Jeep. Sitting on the CB is like going to a Buick. And sitting on the ground.
 
Pity about that Undecider. Go with your name and keep figuring. Hope you can work something out. Whatever you do, stick around and tell us.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Way more important that you ride than that you ride this bike. My good friend Glen just switched from his Wing to a K1600 because it fit his ergonomics better. He loved his Wing, but he likes riding without pain more.
This is my line of thinking as well. Riding with distractions can bring on some serious consequences and riding in pain certainly qualifies as a distraction. Finding a bike that you could ride in relative comfort would seem to be a worthwhile endeavor. Best of luck with the search. I'm guessing once you find a bike that is a better fit, you'll be plenty happy that you made the change.
Ack-CB11_imp said:
If I was taller,


Ironically, on my daily commute I pass by a house that often has a BMW parked out front. Last year it was an R Nine-T. A little while back, the R Nine-T disappeared and apparently it was replaced by a GS like the one in your photo.
 
I think you're going about this all wrong. I just saw on Takashi's website that he's offering a 2013-2014 CB1100 compatible replacement hip. It's made by MotoGear in titanium and has that cool rainbow hue to it. He offers both the dual and single-sided models. I haven't done the yen conversion but I'm sure it's less expensive than a new bike.
 
I'm 6'4" with a 18 year old hip replacement and another hip that is getting close to being replaced. I rode a Suzuki and a Harley Road King before I went to the CB 1100 as an alternative. None are comfortable to me after 45 minutes, I just have to limit my riding to an hour at a time, if longer I stop and take a quick walk around to get some movement in my legs. For me, the only real alternative if I want comfort is probably a trike. I just love the easy handling of the CB in comparison to my last motorcycles. We each have to find what fits us, I wish you the best in your search.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I think you're going about this all wrong. I just saw on Takashi's website that he's offering a 2013-2014 CB1100 compatible replacement hip. It's made by MotoGear in titanium and has that cool rainbow hue to it. He offers both the dual and single-sided models. I haven't done the yen conversion but I'm sure it's less expensive than a new bike.
It's all very well, MG, but every 14 months or so you have to get in there with Optiglanz and clean it up.
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I think you're going about this all wrong. I just saw on Takashi's website that he's offering a 2013-2014 CB1100 compatible replacement hip. It's made by MotoGear in titanium and has that cool rainbow hue to it. He offers both the dual and single-sided models. I haven't done the yen conversion but I'm sure it's less expensive than a new bike.
Ya know, the dollar is pretty strong right now...

I do have the V-strom that is a great fit now that I have a raised saddle and lowered pegs. I could sell the CB which will basically pay off my new truck and not have to buy another bike...except the little 650 just doesn't excite me. It'll do everything I ask it, but it's missing that extra zing the CB has. I really like the FJ09 and think it'd be a great sport touring mount and it sure is exciting to ride (wants to wheelie in 2nd gear not even at WOT)! Problem is that I just got the Strom set up how I like and don't want to start over on a new bike with the farkles. My truck has drained me of money with its farkles.

I'm not really any better off selling both bikes to get one new one than I am if I just hold on to the CB. I'd rather keep it and find a way to increase the comfort level. I am just afraid there isn't much else I can do to make it more comfortable. Maybe MG is on to something. I need to spend some money on myself and rehab my hip to where it is more resilient.

Edit: Perhaps this is a sign from above! Immediately after posting the above, I checked my email and the latest message was rather coincidental to my very last sentence about being more resilient. It's from my health insurance provider: "5 Ways to Build Your Resiliency."

Elwood, the band! (I hope that reference is appreciated )
 
The Tiro K0-style seat from Mr. T completely changed my comfort on my bike. I'm 57, 6' and fairly long-legged, and the bike felt extremely cramped after even comparatively short rides. I got the Tiro because it's pretty tall, even by aftermarket seat standards, and turned out to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever had on any bike, period. Best mod I've done to this bike, and worth every penny. Just a thought, if you really like the CB otherwise -
 
Thread starter
I appreciate all the advice and positivity folks are sending my way in hopes of me keeping my bike. I said to myself a while back, if times got tough and I needed to sell one of my bikes, it would be my V-strom. It's more of a tool and it's replaceable. The CB means more to me. As we can all relate, it's a bike that stirs the soul.

That is why this is such a difficult decision. I typically have little tolerance for stuff that hurts my body. In the past couple years, I have spent way too much money on trying to find a car that didn't hurt my back. Thought my last car was it until it started bothering my hip. It's almost the same problem as the CB with the seat being low and keeping my hip angle too tight. Being that these were simultaneously occuring, I hatched a plan to sell my car, my old truck, and the CB which would just about pay for a nice new truck. I went through with the new truck and selling the vehicles, but here I am stuck on the bike. If I sell it, I own the truck free and clear without pulling any more money out of savings. That right there is very appealing, though short sighted if you knew me.

What ends up happening if I am left with just my V-strom is I get bore and go buy the FJ09, V-strom 1000, or Versys 1000 I really want. Now, I'm selling my $6500 V-strom and spending another $4500-6500 not including farkles. I'm not any better off than just keeping the CB...if I can make it comfortable.

After some thought, I think I could do more with peg position than raising my seating position. I find that moving my feet back rolls my hips back and opens the angle up a bit. If I bought a new seat, I would get the K&H double tuck and roll high with a similar white contrast stitching as my solo seat. That's $500-600. I started looking at rear sets and quickly realized they're expensive and they raise the pegs too much. I need them back and maybe a small bit of drop. Then I remembered these:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mfw-vario-footpeg-mount-rider-most-honda-models

I can get up to 2 inches of displacement in any direction since they pivot 360 degrees. It would also open up some space for my 13 boots. For well under $200, this might work. Now, I need to get my boots on and do some measuring to see which size would work best. I don't want to goo too far back and make it where my heels hit the center stand arm and muffler heat shield as well as move the shifter and brake lever too far away.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. As I am indecisive, it helps to write out what I am thinking.
 
Back
Top