The Elio in today?s USA Today

Mscb1100_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Does anyone else remember the hype for this soon to be 3 Wheel enclosed vehicle for a supposedly 7000 price and getting 80 plus mpg back in 2013
Per the USA Today the company has only 130,000 in the bank and is renting office they are now renting office space on a month to month basis in a strip mall next to a pawn shop in Phoenix.
I was hot to get one when they first came out. Part of their advertising was Pep Boys signing on to do all labor and warranty work which made it seem legitimate.

Glad I didn’t make the initial 1000 non refundable deposit and sorry for those that now may never see their bikes.
 
yea not really a bike...but a 3 wheeled car.
 
$28 million in deposits and no deliveries.

Google Elio motors and you can see pics of it.

also a Wiki entry: Elio Motors - Wikipedia
 
Ha... I remember when Elio displayed at SEMA and the L.A. Auto Show. They showed some promise in the beginning, and the car looked viable, even if it did lift some parts from other production cars of the time.

A good friend of mine paid $500 to get on the list, and got a t-shirt.

You want to read about a really fun vaporware car that had three wheels and promised the world? Google the 1974 Dale.
 
Elio Motors posted on their Facebook the other day advertising their electric version of their non-existent vehicle. I actually worked with a lady who was one of the first hundred or so to put down the $1000 deposit.
 
That's what I had heard, Mscb. When they displayed at the L.A. Auto Show, they were proud to announce that their new, bespoke three-cylinder engine had just completed the prototype phase and was under EPA review. And, they had just released their official color chart. My friend was wearing his Elio shirt, and was happy to see that the car was progressing. On the way home from the show, he was musing over what color he was going to order. I believe he's still driving the F150 we rode to the show in.
 
Speaking of vapoware cars and shuttered GM plants, I just caught this: iPhone Maker Foxconn Enters EV Fray: Meet Foxtron

I remember taking a tour of the GM plant in Lordstown many years ago, when they produced Chevy Cavaliers. At the start of the tour, the guide said "I know many of you are asking yourselves "How can I get a job here at the plant, like my dad? Well, just finish school, and stay off the drugs."
 
We have the original tube-and-fabric motorcycle-powered concept, and one of the three Dale mock-ups on display at the Petersen. I kept reminding my friend about the Dale when he expressed his enthusiasm for the Elio, and told him that if he were ever promised a car by a large, manish-looking woman, to demand his deposit back.
 
The Elio prototype was on display at a mall in Jacksonville, Fl. a few years ago. We took a look at it and decided then it would never see the light of day. One look at the inadequate ground clearance told you this thing is designed for pot hole free roads. I know of two locals that put down deposits.
 
Back
Top