The Doublemint Twins

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
... but not two, young, attractive girls. Two older, attractive and distinguished gentlemen.

As Pdedse was planning his journey southward to the Land of Opportunity down here in Southern California, we realized he'd be passing through my neighborhood. Not only was he riding south, he was doing it on the twin to my orange Royal Enfield 650. It's funny when you're on two different forums with the same guy because you both own the same two bikes.

We grabbed lunch and hooked up for a ride along the coast until he jumped back on the super slab for the rest of his journey.

My hat is off to you for choosing the valiant little 650 for your journey! Nice to know she made it down without trouble, and safe riding while you're down here and on the way back my friend!
 
the RE interceptor really does remind me of one of those 'mule' bikes. bad on paper, FAR FAR more than the sum of its parts. ready to go and do just about anything with a kind of defiant adequacy.
 
Thread starter
That's the description I use for this bike - greater than the sum of its parts.

And, at least most of those parts are cheap if something does go wrong.
 
that is very cool you guys, very cool!
 
Great story!
3c96615073b4f558ef8070293c0c0747.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
tommymck_imp said:
That's pretty darn cool. pdedse loaded that thing up like a rented mule. Impressive.
Haha...this was a "spur-of-the-moment" trip for me...it wasn't even an idea until about 2 weeks ago, so I had to use what luggage was available. Spent 4 nights at 3 spots, and the last two I tried to look for camp ground, but no luck. So, I'm packing tent, sleeping bag, cooking equipment in that luggage besides the normal mc trip things.

I think I'll be able to use the camp items on the way home.

And Gone, thanks so much for your trip route suggestions. Like I said, it was a highlight of the trip down here meeting you and seeing just a bit of your world. Thanks too for the lane-splitting tips--helped a great deal for about a 15 mile stretch in LA.

The double-orange twins:
87020e2d378804dd6583c25577d1d55e.jpg


Doublemint gum commercial for those who don't recall, are too young, or never watched TV last century.

I'll likely start a road trip report over at ADV rider soon, maybe link here.

Today was my first full day in La Jolla. Got new tires on my daughter's car, oil changed, and am...cat-sitting for the next 10 days. For once, feels kinda good not to ride today.

Ordered a bike cover and hopefully out-of-sight-out-of-mind means no one takes it as the RE sits forlonely along the side of the street.

Maybe tomorrow or Sat I get back on it to check out some local San Diego riding.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The metallic orange (or perhaps, "rust"?) looks great.

RE Wigley's Doublemint gum: Yep, seemed omni-present once upon a time.
It's official color name is "Orange Crush", just like the soft drink, to keep the commerial theme going.

Totally off topic, but I'm stting on the terrace of my duaghter's apartment, enjoying the morning coffee, cinamon bread and bueberries, and watching the groundsguy mow the grass. Lots of eucalyptus leaves all over. The guy on the riding mower is on one of those that can do super tight cornering, forwards / backwards with a minimal flick of the wrist, just a fun, fun way to mow grass. Would love to have one of those. Anyway, there's lots of leaves under the picnic tables and the guy just eases up to the edge of the table with the mower and pushes it into a new position to he can suck up all the leaves and never even steps off the mower. Efficient. Little things like that make me happy.
 
Thread starter
Hey, Pdedse, it was awesome to hang out for a while! Should have told me you needed a bike cover - I'm sure we could have scored one from the neighors when you at my office. I'd recommend a disc lock too, if you don't have one and will be leaving your bike on the street. You're not in rural Oregon any more, Dorothy!

Shoot, changing oil, getting new tires... I should have you check in on my Mom while you're down there since I'll be back east for work!

As long as you're enjoying some relaxing time, you have to be really close, maybe even walking distance to the glider port we talked about: Paragliding and Hang Gliding | Torrey Pines Gliderport
I love to sit and watch guys sailing around the cliff.

Have fun, relax, and enjoy!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Hey, Pdedse, it was awesome to hang out for a while! Should have told me you needed a bike cover - I'm sure we could have scored one from the neighors when you at my office. I'd recommend a disc lock too, if you don't have one and will be leaving your bike on the street. You're not in rural Oregon any more, Dorothy!

Shoot, changing oil, getting new tires... I should have you check in on my Mom while you're down there since I'll be back east for work!

As long as you're enjoying some relaxing time, you have to be really close, maybe even walking distance to the glider port we talked about: Paragliding and Hang Gliding | Torrey Pines Gliderport
I love to sit and watch guys sailing around the cliff.

Have fun, relax, and enjoy!
Dorothy! How did you know I am originally from Kansas? I have an alarm disc-lock, and a cable lock thru wheels that also keeps the mc cover on...and there are several other bikes w/ covers on them nearby, so it's the best I can do. I figure any potential thief would lift the cover, ask what the heck is it, and move on. Yes, that's what I'm counting on. Truth be told, this is why I wanted to do the trip on the RE and not on the CB1100. If stolen, I could lose a little bit, but could replace the RE if I wanted. The '17 EX would be harder to replace.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Hey, Pdedse, it was awesome to hang out for a while! Should have told me you needed a bike cover - I'm sure we could have scored one from the neighors when you at my office. I'd recommend a disc lock too, if you don't have one and will be leaving your bike on the street. You're not in rural Oregon any more, Dorothy!

Shoot, changing oil, getting new tires... I should have you check in on my Mom while you're down there since I'll be back east for work!

As long as you're enjoying some relaxing time, you have to be really close, maybe even walking distance to the glider port we talked about: Paragliding and Hang Gliding | Torrey Pines Gliderport
I love to sit and watch guys sailing around the cliff.

Have fun, relax, and enjoy!
I think youi're joking, but...sure! :cool:

Gone in 60_imp said:
Hey, Pdedse, it was awesome to hang out for a while! Should have told me you needed a bike cover - I'm sure we could have scored one from the neighors when you at my office. I'd recommend a disc lock too, if you don't have one and will be leaving your bike on the street. You're not in rural Oregon any more, Dorothy!

Shoot, changing oil, getting new tires... I should have you check in on my Mom while you're down there since I'll be back east for work!

As long as you're enjoying some relaxing time, you have to be really close, maybe even walking distance to the glider port we talked about: Paragliding and Hang Gliding | Torrey Pines Gliderport
I love to sit and watch guys sailing around the cliff.

Have fun, relax, and enjoy!
Takes me 10 minutes to hike down to the beach, right at Scrips, so if I walk north along the beach, I think I have seen them on prior visits. I'll look for them.
 
Thread starter
Sad to think you chose your ride based on theft potential, but yeah, I'd hate to have to replace my CB over the RE. Miscreants hanging around college-area apartment complexes will be looking for easy targets of opportunity, so if you make it hard, they'll move on.

And yeah, you can walk along the beach and look up at the para-gliders, but the snack bar is up on the cliff!
 
Thread starter
Hey! Look what's outside my office window right now!
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Is he cutting the dust?
.
Ha! No, my window is just really dirty. I figured since pdedse seems to be interested in zero-turn lawn mowers, he might get a kick out of it..
 
Back
Top