THE DEFINITIVE STAINTUNE vs. ARROW SLIP-ON EXHAUST THREAD!!

Ok you want the definitive word? They both cost more and are louder than the pipe that came on your bike stock.

Eveything else is subjective.

There, done! Lol
 
Can't write the report, but I can tell you that I'm more than happy with the Arrow Slip on. Ride up to Savannah, and I'll let you take the bike for a spin
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ok you want the definitive word? They both cost more and are louder than the pipe that came on your bike stock.

Eveything else is subjective.

There, done! Lol
That's pretty definitive... :rofl:
JF Coastal_imp said:
Can't write the report, but I can tell you that I'm more than happy with the Arrow Slip on. Ride up to Savannah, and I'll let you take the bike for a spin
:cool:
Taking you up on that offer soon! Thanks!
 
Nemo of course my response above was somewhat tongue in cheek, however I dont think there is anyone on the forum that has had both to compare. Both are simple bolt on units from what I understand very easy to install. Neither requires any changes to fi or ign. Both will be louder than stock but from what I have read not overly so. I think the Arrow unit costs a little less than the Staintune but the Staintune is more popular and I have never heard of a forum member being unhappy with the Staintune. Never heard anyone unhappy with the Arrow either. I think the Staintune more closely resembles the stock unit in appearance. I believe the Staintune is mfg in Australia and the Arrow in Britain.
 
Nemo, are you cross-shopping the two?
In my opinion, it's a fairly simple (but perhaps not easy) choice; if you like a cone-shaped pipe, the Arrow. For a more tubular design, Staintune.
There may be very slight differences in the way they sound, but I can basically guarantee that whatever you choose, you will like it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Nemo of course my response above was somewhat tongue in cheek, however I dont think there is anyone on the forum that has had both to compare. Both are simple bolt on units from what I understand very easy to install. Neither requires any changes to fi or ign. Both will be louder than stock but from what I have read not overly so. I think the Arrow unit costs a little less than the Staintune but the Staintune is more popular and I have never heard of a forum member being unhappy with the Staintune. Never heard anyone unhappy with the Arrow either. I think the Staintune more closely resembles the stock unit in appearance. I believe the Staintune is mfg in Australia and the Arrow in Britain.
I know, Ferret. I'd like to think that I have a fairly functional sense of humor. Thanks for the info.
Jim21680_imp said:
Nemo, are you cross-shopping the two?
In my opinion, it's a fairly simple (but perhaps not easy) choice; if you like a cone-shaped pipe, the Arrow. For a more tubular design, Staintune.
There may be very slight differences in the way they sound, but I can basically guarantee that whatever you choose, you will like it.
Yes, Jim, I am considering one or the other. I never noticed the shape difference. Thanks for pointing it out.
 
We have had members post youtube vids of the sound. Guth posted one up of the Staintune can't recall who did the Arrow.
 
I have the Arrow and I'm very happy with it. Great sound, looks, quality and it's smaller/lighter than stock. I like the Staintune a lot as well and definitely could have gone either way. The Arrow does cost less.

Another (minor) benefit of the Arrow is that you have the choice to keep the quiet baffle in or out of the muffler so you can pick the noise level.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Nemo, are you cross-shopping the two?
In my opinion, it's a fairly simple (but perhaps not easy) choice; if you like a cone-shaped pipe, the Arrow. For a more tubular design, Staintune.
There may be very slight differences in the way they sound, but I can basically guarantee that whatever you choose, you will like it.
If I were going to cross shop exhaust pipes, the first thing I would do is check with Bruce Jenner. I understand he is a quite adept at cross shopping headers, pipes, etc...

(I couldn't help it folks :angel:, my apologies if I offended anyone.)

P.S. I have a Staintune. I really like the sound. Have Arrows on a couple of my Triumphs.

Chris
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I have the Arrow and I'm very happy with it. Great sound, looks, quality and it's smaller/lighter than stock. I like the Staintune a lot as well and definitely could have gone either way. The Arrow does cost less.

Another (minor) benefit of the Arrow is that you have the choice to keep the quiet baffle in or out of the muffler so you can pick the noise level.
that's good to know on the Arrow- is it easy to swap the baffle out? thanks for sharing.
 
jrns, it's very easy to remove the quiet baffle. First, you have to break this small welded tab (size of this small circle: O), I just used a screwdriver and knocked it off. Then you use a snap-ring plier to remove the snap-ring. After removing the snap-ring, you can use pliers to pull out the baffle.
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
jrns, it's very easy to remove the quiet baffle. First, you have to break this small welded tab (size of this small circle: O), I just used a screwdriver and knocked it off. Then you use a snap-ring plier to remove the snap-ring. After removing the snap-ring, you can use pliers to pull out the baffle.
thanks for that!
a slip on (possibly an arrow) is another mod on my list...I better start buying lottery tickets ;)
 
Something that really appealed to me about the Staintune other than the tone of the exhaust note (which is excellent) was the fact that it never needs repacking. This also allows them to pull off such beautiful construction without the use of rivets.

That said, the price was definitely on the high side and it was perhaps the only thing that I can remember owning that when asked "why" by my wife I couldn't even attempt to explain. "Just because I wanted it" isn't exactly a selling point, lol.
 
Guth_imp said:
Something that really appealed to me about the Staintune other than the tone of the exhaust note (which is excellent) was the fact that it never needs repacking. This also allows them to pull off such beautiful construction without the use of rivets.

That said, the price was definitely on the high side and it was perhaps the only thing that I can remember owning that when asked "why" by my wife I couldn't even attempt to explain. "Just because I wanted it" isn't exactly a selling point, lol.
It may not be as expensive as you think. As Cormanus and I have suggested in other threads, check the cost of a direct order from Australia as opposed to buying from the, perhaps aptly named, "Pirates Lair". The AUD (sometimes known as the South Pacific Peso) has now fallen below USD .70.

Cheers

Look at: THIS THREAD
 
Huladog_imp said:
Well I DID place an online order on 12/21/15 and they did confirm the order back to me, but after that I haven't heard a peep out of Staintune.

No tracking number, etc.

So I've been replying to their email to get an update, as of 1/13/16 not a word.

Any of you guys in Australia know what's up with Staintune? If they don't reply I'm going to have to cancel my order, get a refund via PayPal and probably order a Moriwaki from our friends in Japan.

Aloha,
Huladog
But then this is a bit alarming. I'm not in Australia, Huladog, or I'd call them for you.
 
Back
Top