The Day of Vine and Roses

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
A beautiful day in Sydney, 23degC and clear sky, so I checked the oil and tyres, lit the fires, and climbed aboard Last Blast for a run around the "Putty Loop". Clockwise this time.

091db0edf4495a62054e59d60b1e0a80.png


In previous posts I have described, in part or whole, the Putty Loop. It is a favourite of mine, providing a nice scenic cruise or a motorcycling challenge, or a combination of both, depending on one's mood. The complete Loop from my house in East Sydney takes about seven hours including fuel and food stops; a distance of just over 400kms. I wanted to push it along a bit to blow the cobwebs from the Staintune. Two fuel stops and lunch at the Grey Gum Café on the Putty Road was the plan. My intention was no photo stops and no GoPro. It was forecast to be warm in the Broke area (Upper Hunter Valley), about 32degC (89degF). Rather than full leathers I wore kevlar jeans and a Dainese leather jacket. My first fuel stop was at Colo Heights, then I pushed on to the Grey Gum for lunch. The Grey Gum sits, isolated, at around midway on the Putty Road, a mecca for motorcyclists and other travellers. From the road a short dirt track leads to the Café. The proprietor has laid down concrete strips for motorcycle parking.

The Grey Gum Café:

c15acf3b3218741f5b6f7b9f4a074363.jpeg


7cbe3b72aef18edc799ed7cd52cc5078.jpeg


19ee6b2ca364667aa00fc7ee52ccdeee.jpeg


My lunch:

38448c102b9f464b132e8b0f56d91d25.jpeg


The observant will have noticed that my burger is garnished with one of Australia's iconic bush foods. Good protein, and crunchy.

I headed north from the Grey Gum, giving the Angel GTs a good workout through the (in)famous "ten mile". I must take my GoPro there in the near future. It is the highlight of the Putty Road. Just before the Cockfighters Tavern (another infamous feature of the Putty, but for different reasons) I turned eastwards and into the Broke wine region. It was here that my "no photo stop policy" went the way of a politician's promise. Hence the title of this thread.

fcff754c7c7e01f0f1c9c4c1d5ef480b.jpeg


Due to recent heavy rain the grass verge is soft and using the side stand, without a pad, is out of the question. I just rolled it back on to a sinking centre stand and when the time came just powered it off.

3ffc399e787801813ccf02537ba7de74.jpg


Not only vines and roses, also olives:

83562b9e388850fb14c65b56ce64b2d2.jpeg


No more photo stops, just a great run down the Wollombi Rd, coffee at the Road Warriors Café at Mt White and then a good lay it over blast up the Old Pacific Highway to Berowra. Then on to home through the Sydney afternoon peak hour traffic, that being the only fly in the ointment of a beaut days ride.

Cheers all
 
Looks like a nice ride, recall you talking about it at the PI GP.
Will add to list of rides that need to be, with luck this year.

Regards
 
Great report, Pterodactyl. A much nicer looking day than the one on which I visited the Grey Gum. You did well not to pull the Alpinestars off and get a few grapes between your toes. :thumbsup:
 
What a lovely ride. Good food, roads and scenery and nice temps too.

It's in the low 30's (F) this morning but warming quickly.
 
Those are the reports, which help us to survive winter and hope for better times, riding again.
 
Nice! Please keep the pictures of the warm sunshine coming! It's supposed to be 10 F (-12 C) here on Saturday morning! For me, that even too cold to ski in!
 
Back
Top