Great installment. As a Lion, I never tire of reading about "our" road. We need pubs of the type you have there here in the states and we most certainly need more places like Pie In The Sky, not only because we need more pie places, but because we need more random gathering places for motorcyclists to gather.
oh...I love the last picture of Day 1 --- with the rows of trees standing sentinel on either side of the road. Could be a cover picture for Road Runner magazine or something.
Thanks so much for the post.
A good read and really enjoyed your including the decision making process behind it as well.
Since I will probably never get the chance to get to that part of the world, I really appreciated the pictures. It's funny how you see pictures of some exotic place and how much it looks like..... home?
Thanks for sharing.
crutch
I got to stay with my eldest son who lives in Sydney. My brother, his wife and their children were visiting for the opening of an annual exhibition featuring some of my niece’s work. Over the course of the opening and two dinners, a jolly time was had by all.
Mildly the worse for wear, on Sunday afternoon I packed my bags and headed for Pterodactyl’s praying for a quiet night. Fat chance.
Pterodactyl shamed me into giving the bike a clean so he was prepared to be seen with it. After those labours we headed upstairs to shower, change and engage in a pre-dinner meditation.
Gotta get that chain right
Mrs Pterodactyl had prepared a feast to shame the Romans. That may have something to do with her Greek heritage. I couldn’t comment. I should add it wasn’t just for me the Pterodactyl’s had other friends passing through.
It was a wonderful dinner. I have insufficient words of praise for Mrs P's culinary skills. We had splendid food, good conversation, fine wine and then, to top it off, a cleansing ale and a quick look at the Japanese MotoGP. We knew it didn’t really matter what happened to Marc Marquez the following Saturday at Phillip Island.
With threats of being woken early, I fell, exhausted, into my bed.
I think we may have just stumbled upon The Cormanus Principle. To wit: The amount of rainwater absorbed during a motorcycle ride is directly proportional to the relative importance of the warmth and dryness of the post-ride accommodations while being inversely proportional to the importance of the cleanliness of those same accommodations.
The dreaded lurgy had me by a part of the anatomy that shall remain un-named. It was pouring with rain; the wind was strong enough to blow the tonic out of your gin; and it was warm and comfortable in my tent. I could hear the banshee like howl of motorcycle engines outside, so I could rest easy in the knowledge that the world was getting on with its business.
I stayed put and took no part in the day’s proceedings.
Day 11: 22 October 2016
Camp CB, Phillip Island
Day 11 dawned slightly more cheerful than its predecessor, although for a while we were diving in and out of our tents to get out of the showers. It was also still blowing hard. I felt a little better, so I joined the others wondering around the track, visiting the merchandise tent …
… eating, dodging squalls and watching chaps using motorbikes to dry the water from the track …
It was slow and painstaking, but you can see it worked eventually
Late in the day we found a shelter from the wind where we could set up our camp stoves and cook dinner, engage in spirited conversation and ponder the fate of the world.
Things looked OK at bed time.
Day 12: 23 October 2016
Camp CB, Phillip Island to Inverloch and return (119.6 kms)
Haven't yet, popgun, although one does have to do a bit of checking before setting out to make sure one will get to the next fuel stop. There have been times when it's been a bit close.