redbirds_imp
Road warrior
Wonderful read and lovely photos George. Always a treat when you post.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Lockdowns in Australia have been incredibly strict. State borders have closed often and, from time to time, we've been confined to quarters except for specific reasons. A perimeter of 5kms from home has also been put in place from time to time. These haven't been suggestions; they've been backed up law and people have been fined for breaches. Although not that many as people have been remarkably sensible.pdedse_imp said:Wow...I had no idea the lockdowns were that...forceful. Even at our worst, "lockdowns" around here seemed more of a suggestion as far as travel was concerned.
Very cool to see the forest recover though..
My favorite sign: Through Street...NO THROUGH ROAD. Kind of sums up the trip!!!
And speedo comment: sure do like the green face with the simplicity of the kilometers only readout...so clean looking.
Thank you Ferret.The ferret_imp said:Just love your reports Cormanus. Love em.
Congrats on the boat purchase. Hope it fulfills your dreams!
Alain, the Gold Coast is very beautiful, although many non-Gold Coast residents love to hate it because it is a tourist Mecca. Me? I don't care what they say, it has wonderful beaches and waterways. The only downside for me is that, at the northern end at least, the high rise development means long shadows on the beach from the early afternoon. Although that may well be a blessing in the summer.Alain Lee_imp said:I flew to Sydney a few times (for work) between 2004 ~ 2010 and during the weekends hop over to Melbourne for a quick visit. I always had in mind to visit the Gold Coast but never had the opportunity, I heard that it is really very beautiful over there.
With such nice weather all year round I was really surprised not to see more motorcycles on the road. Was it just me or motorcycles is not that popular in Australia?
Regards
Alain
As for motorcycles, I suppose by comparison with Canada the weather is beautiful all year round, but autumn, winter, spring from north of Sydney south can be cool to cold and not that much fun for riding. I can't really say whether motorcycles are popular or not. I see lots when I ride. The data tells me that 108,926 were sold in 2020 and that was a significant increase on the previous year. More information here.Alain Lee_imp said:I flew to Sydney a few times (for work) between 2004 ~ 2010 and during the weekends hop over to Melbourne for a quick visit. I always had in mind to visit the Gold Coast but never had the opportunity, I heard that it is really very beautiful over there.
With such nice weather all year round I was really surprised not to see more motorcycles on the road. Was it just me or motorcycles is not that popular in Australia?
Regards
Alain
See below.Ben70_imp said:Great read! Do you have a photo of the boat?
If you zoom the mirrors image in the "bad lanyard cam" shot you get a nice view of the countryside!
This writeup is in contention for the Dark Cloud, Silver Lining award.
Ben
Who'd've thunk it?Ben70_imp said:Great read! Do you have a photo of the boat?
If you zoom the mirrors image in the "bad lanyard cam" shot you get a nice view of the countryside!
This writeup is in contention for the Dark Cloud, Silver Lining award.
Ben
I wouldn't mind winning that!Ben70_imp said:Great read! Do you have a photo of the boat?
If you zoom the mirrors image in the "bad lanyard cam" shot you get a nice view of the countryside!
This writeup is in contention for the Dark Cloud, Silver Lining award.
Ben
OK, here's a picture of the boat.KiowaEagle_imp said:Great write up and pics Cormanus. And don't leave us hanging, tell us about the boat!


Hey, it has Kurt RusselCormanus_imp said:Not another Popgun movie to watch?

Cormanus_imp said:Again, thanks for all the kind comments. Now to try to answer a few specifically.
Lockdowns in Australia have been incredibly strict. State borders have closed often and, from time to time, we've been confined to quarters except for specific reasons. A perimeter of 5kms from home has also been put in place from time to time. These haven't been suggestions; they've been backed up law and people have been fined for breaches. Although not that many as people have been remarkably sensible.pdedse_imp said:Wow...I had no idea the lockdowns were that...forceful. Even at our worst, "lockdowns" around here seemed more of a suggestion as far as travel was concerned.
Very cool to see the forest recover though..
My favorite sign: Through Street...NO THROUGH ROAD. Kind of sums up the trip!!!
And speedo comment: sure do like the green face with the simplicity of the kilometers only readout...so clean looking.
Thank you Ferret.The ferret_imp said:Just love your reports Cormanus. Love em.
Congrats on the boat purchase. Hope it fulfills your dreams!
Alain, the Gold Coast is very beautiful, although many non-Gold Coast residents love to hate it because it is a tourist Mecca. Me? I don't care what they say, it has wonderful beaches and waterways. The only downside for me is that, at the northern end at least, the high rise development means long shadows on the beach from the early afternoon. Although that may well be a blessing in the summer.Alain Lee_imp said:I flew to Sydney a few times (for work) between 2004 ~ 2010 and during the weekends hop over to Melbourne for a quick visit. I always had in mind to visit the Gold Coast but never had the opportunity, I heard that it is really very beautiful over there.
With such nice weather all year round I was really surprised not to see more motorcycles on the road. Was it just me or motorcycles is not that popular in Australia?
Regards
Alain
As for motorcycles, I suppose by comparison with Canada the weather is beautiful all year round, but autumn, winter, spring from north of Sydney south can be cool to cold and not that much fun for riding. I can't really say whether motorcycles are popular or not. I see lots when I ride. The data tells me that 108,926 were sold in 2020 and that was a significant increase on the previous year. More information here.Alain Lee_imp said:I flew to Sydney a few times (for work) between 2004 ~ 2010 and during the weekends hop over to Melbourne for a quick visit. I always had in mind to visit the Gold Coast but never had the opportunity, I heard that it is really very beautiful over there.
With such nice weather all year round I was really surprised not to see more motorcycles on the road. Was it just me or motorcycles is not that popular in Australia?
Regards
Alain
See below.Ben70_imp said:Great read! Do you have a photo of the boat?
If you zoom the mirrors image in the "bad lanyard cam" shot you get a nice view of the countryside!
This writeup is in contention for the Dark Cloud, Silver Lining award.
Ben
Who'd've thunk it?Ben70_imp said:Great read! Do you have a photo of the boat?
If you zoom the mirrors image in the "bad lanyard cam" shot you get a nice view of the countryside!
This writeup is in contention for the Dark Cloud, Silver Lining award.
Ben
I wouldn't mind winning that!Ben70_imp said:Great read! Do you have a photo of the boat?
If you zoom the mirrors image in the "bad lanyard cam" shot you get a nice view of the countryside!
This writeup is in contention for the Dark Cloud, Silver Lining award.
Ben
OK, here's a picture of the boat.KiowaEagle_imp said:Great write up and pics Cormanus. And don't leave us hanging, tell us about the boat!
[url=https://postimg.cc/zVFBbDLZ]
She's a Cavalier 32 which means 32 feet long and 9 ft (or thereabouts) wide. She needs at least 1.6 metres of water in which to float. She's located in Cairns in Far North Queensland, or about 1,400 kms as the crow flies from home. The first challenge should be apparent from that final bit of information.


Voyage... or maybe "...a three hour tour", but that may not end well. (Was Gilligan's Island ever shown in Australia?)... Ferret's "Fly-n-float" sounds nice.KiowaEagle_imp said:Yea, what's a road trip called on the water?
She's a beaut Cormanus!
Voyage... or maybe "...a three hour tour", but that may not end well. (Was Gilligan's Island ever shown in Australia?)... Ferret's "Fly-n-float" sounds nice.pdedse_imp said:Voyage... or maybe "...a three hour tour", but that may not end well. (Was Gilligan's Island ever shown in Australia?)... Ferret's "Fly-n-float" sounds nice.KiowaEagle_imp said:Yea, what's a road trip called on the water?
She's a beaut Cormanus!
Such a good-looker, Cormanus. I think you need a deck-hand to get in your way as you sail that vessel home.