The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake and Elwood

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
The Cormanus Chronicles — Remembering Jake and Elwood

Preface
In early 2018, Pterodactyl, NoRoomtoMove and I managed to entice AussieFlyer to take to the road with us. We introduced him to the Great Alpine Road, the Omeo Valley Highway and the Bogong High Plains Road. The ride didn’t last as long as expected, so we agreed that we’d try again another time. Soon. Aussie Flyer and I had a plan to ride together for a day in 2019, but it was so hot we abandoned the plan and went out to lunch instead. En route to Tasmania in early 2020 I was joined by Pterodactyl for a day or two and then a day or so later by Aussie Flyer and NoRoomtoMove on some of the better local roads to the north of Melbourne.

Then there was covid.

Then I had both knees replaced.

Surely, almost four years later, it was about time to make a valiant attempt to put the band back together?

A note on maps
As usual, I’ve prepared maps of the journey. At the start of whatever nonsense I’ve written about each day there’ll be an image of the portion of the map covering that day. Underneath will be a link to the map from which it is taken. Clicking on that link will take you to Google Maps where you can view the entire portion of the route covered by the map and do all the fun things that Google Maps offers. In this case there are two main maps: Map #1, covering most of the journey; and [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1TYCxvZiWMQORjl44JNaaO6Lz8Cf3hvo&usp=sharing]Map #2, covering the homeward section.






Chapter One

Warming up
Day 1 — Brisbane to Walcha

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

As mid 2022 was the last time I’d been on a long ride away from home ([url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18075]see here), I was concerned about my ‘ride fitness’. First, obviously, I hadn’t ridden much long distance since mid 2022. Secondly, I’ve had new knees fitted. Thirdly, my new year’s present was a first dose of covid with after effects that were lingering a month later. Clearly, before saddling up with the blokes, I needed a warm up ride.

My wife and I had arrangements to visit old friends on the south coast of New South Wales (about 1,600 kms as the CB1100 travels or 1,210 kms by freeway. Mrs C declined to join me on the bike. I figured three or so days in the saddle would either sort me out or I’d have to stop for a rest and be late arriving.

So, it came to pass that at 0600 on 2 February 2024, I pointed the CB south, took the freeway to Grafton in Northern New South Wales to get some easy kms under my belt before taking to the hills and roads worth riding. The freeway’s the freeway, although probably quiet by the standards of more populous countries so 4 hours and one fuel and coffee stop later I was 300 + kms down the road and refuelling again to be sure I’d make it to the next bowser
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
A couple of shots from the freeway. In the second, a recently built bridge climbs nearly to the height of the old lift bridge.

‘Up the hill’ was the Armidale Road from Grafton to Armidale — long a favourite road, badly hit by fire in 2019-20. For a little over 100 kms it winds diagonally up the side of the Great Dividing Range to Ebor, a small town with police, a school, a motel and Fusspots Café. After that the road makes it way another 70 or so kms to Armidale. Since I was last on the stretch to Ebor, a bridge damaged by fire had been replaced and work had been done on the surface. As usual it was a great ride, although hot. Lunch and a cool drink at Fusspots was welcome.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
These pictures may give some idea of why I like the road from Grafton to Armidale

[url=https://postimages.org/]
NoRoomtoMove understands this

After lunch I rode the rest of the road to Armidale. It runs across the plateau of the Great Dividing Range and is fast and enjoyable. My right wrist was sore so I stopped at the motorcycle dealer in Armidale and bought a wrist rest. It took some getting used to, but provided considerable relief to my arthritic paw for the rest of the trip.

Just under 60 kms further down the road, and 587 kms from home, I stopped for the night at the Apsley Arms Hotel in Walcha.

Not bad for a first day back.
 
So fun to pore over the maps and see the details of your ride. And on new knees no less!
 
Thread starter
Day 2 — Walcha to Oberon

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

I nearly always travel south through Walcha. It’s on the New England Plateau and is the starting point of many a fine ride, including the Oxley Highway, regarded by many as the best riding road in Australia. My path usually takes me down Thunderbolts Way (named after an Australian Bush Ranger) to Gloucester and Dungog. Not today. I wanted to find other interesting ways to avoid Sydney.

After half an hour or so, I turned right off Thunderbolts Way and rode west along Topdale Road and descended the Port Stephens Cutting, a narrow, twisting and steep descent to the valley below. From there it’s a pretty ride through hilly agricultural country to Dungowan where the country starts to open out onto the Macquarie Plain. Turning left I rode past the Chaffey Dam and then further west to Wallabadah where I stopped for fuel for both me and the CB. All good riding. These are old but reasonably well-maintained country roads with more than enough undulation and good sweeping corners to be interesting and fun for a motorcyclist.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
A couple of sections of the Port Stephens Cutting

[url=https://postimages.org/]
The CB at Dungowan

As an aside, it was summer in Australia and the days were hot — north of 30ºC. So it was strange to have left Walcha wearing the inner thermal lining of my jacket and winter gloves to ward off the early morning chill. By Wallabadah, the need for them was well and truly over.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Heading south from Dungowan

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Chaffey Dam

For the next 70 kms or so I rode along the New England Highway: pretty enough, but a major road with all the joys of cars, trucks and traffic. I turned west on the outskirts of Scone, bound to Merriwah. I refuelled there before riding on to Mudgee, where I stopped to rehydrate and eat. Did I mention it was hot? The afternoon took me along some new and some familiar roads to the city of Bathurst.

For those in whose veins runs the fuel of the internal combustion engine, Bathurst is a mecca for its Mount Panorama motor racing circuit. While I was on this trip it would host a [url=https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au]12-hour endurance race. On the first weekend of October it is home to the [url=https://www.supercars.com/events/2023-bathurst-1000]Bathurst 1000, a major event on the Australian motorsport calendar.

I mention this because when it’s not being used for racing the circuit is a public road and I’ve always wondered about riding around it. Today was the day.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
You can zoom in on it on the [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-%20HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1 towards the end of Day 2, and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGW7YbGvuw]here’s a video of a lap through the window of a cage.

I did a couple of careful laps at the posted speed limit of 60 kph and realised you’d want lots of practice before hurtling around it at high speed.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Near the top of Mount Panorama.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Con Rod straight. There were more photos of the track, but lanyard cam malfunctioned and the lens cover didn’t open properly.

A soccer carnival meant every venue in Bathurst was fully booked so I rode on to Oberon and the Big Trout Motor Inn.

After 644 kms over the day, I was still feeling pretty good about my riding fitness.
 
Thank you, Cormanus. Very nice and encouraging for this old Geezer contemplating getting back on the CB. Beautiful scenery, as well.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Day 2 — Walcha to Oberon

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

I nearly always travel south through Walcha. It’s on the New England Plateau and is the starting point of many a fine ride, including the Oxley Highway, regarded by many as the best riding road in Australia. My path usually takes me down Thunderbolts Way (named after an Australian Bush Ranger) to Gloucester and Dungog. Not today. I wanted to find other interesting ways to avoid Sydney.

After half an hour or so, I turned right off Thunderbolts Way and rode west along Topdale Road and descended the Port Stephens Cutting, a narrow, twisting and steep descent to the valley below. From there it’s a pretty ride through hilly agricultural country to Dungowan where the country starts to open out onto the Macquarie Plain. Turning left I rode past the Chaffey Dam and then further west to Wallabadah where I stopped for fuel for both me and the CB. All good riding. These are old but reasonably well-maintained country roads with more than enough undulation and good sweeping corners to be interesting and fun for a motorcyclist.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
A couple of sections of the Port Stephens Cutting

[url=https://postimages.org/]
The CB at Dungowan

As an aside, it was summer in Australia and the days were hot — north of 30ºC. So it was strange to have left Walcha wearing the inner thermal lining of my jacket and winter gloves to ward off the early morning chill. By Wallabadah, the need for them was well and truly over.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Heading south from Dungowan

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Chaffey Dam

For the next 70 kms or so I rode along the New England Highway: pretty enough, but a major road with all the joys of cars, trucks and traffic. I turned west on the outskirts of Scone, bound to Merriwah. I refuelled there before riding on to Mudgee, where I stopped to rehydrate and eat. Did I mention it was hot? The afternoon took me along some new and some familiar roads to the city of Bathurst.

For those in whose veins runs the fuel of the internal combustion engine, Bathurst is a mecca for its Mount Panorama motor racing circuit. While I was on this trip it would host a [url=https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au]12-hour endurance race. On the first weekend of October it is home to the [url=https://www.supercars.com/events/2023-bathurst-1000]Bathurst 1000, a major event on the Australian motorsport calendar.

I mention this because when it’s not being used for racing the circuit is a public road and I’ve always wondered about riding around it. Today was the day.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
You can zoom in on it on the [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-%20HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1 towards the end of Day 2, and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGW7YbGvuw]here’s a video of a lap through the window of a cage.

I did a couple of careful laps at the posted speed limit of 60 kph and realised you’d want lots of practice before hurtling around it at high speed.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Near the top of Mount Panorama.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Con Rod straight. There were more photos of the track, but lanyard cam malfunctioned and the lens cover didn’t open properly.

A soccer carnival meant every venue in Bathurst was fully booked so I rode on to Oberon and the Big Trout Motor Inn.

After 644 kms over the day, I was still feeling pretty good about my riding fitness.

I think I have made a similar comment in your other ride reports, but it's so fun to read the strange 'sounding' names. Not sure if all the above are examples of an internet search regarding the use of Aboriginal names for geographical sites in Australia, but here's the link that explains the short of it:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_place_names_of_Aboriginal_origin#:~:text=Place%20names%20in%2​0Australia%20have,the%20place%20was%20so%2Dnamed.]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_place_names_of_Aboriginal_origin#:~:text=Place%20names%20in%2​0Australia%20have,the%20place%20was%20so%2Dnamed.


These, juxtaposed with 'English sounding' names, create quite the contrast.

Cormanus_imp said:
Day 2 — Walcha to Oberon

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

I nearly always travel south through Walcha. It’s on the New England Plateau and is the starting point of many a fine ride, including the Oxley Highway, regarded by many as the best riding road in Australia. My path usually takes me down Thunderbolts Way (named after an Australian Bush Ranger) to Gloucester and Dungog. Not today. I wanted to find other interesting ways to avoid Sydney.

After half an hour or so, I turned right off Thunderbolts Way and rode west along Topdale Road and descended the Port Stephens Cutting, a narrow, twisting and steep descent to the valley below. From there it’s a pretty ride through hilly agricultural country to Dungowan where the country starts to open out onto the Macquarie Plain. Turning left I rode past the Chaffey Dam and then further west to Wallabadah where I stopped for fuel for both me and the CB. All good riding. These are old but reasonably well-maintained country roads with more than enough undulation and good sweeping corners to be interesting and fun for a motorcyclist.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
A couple of sections of the Port Stephens Cutting

[url=https://postimages.org/]
The CB at Dungowan

As an aside, it was summer in Australia and the days were hot — north of 30ºC. So it was strange to have left Walcha wearing the inner thermal lining of my jacket and winter gloves to ward off the early morning chill. By Wallabadah, the need for them was well and truly over.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Heading south from Dungowan

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Chaffey Dam

For the next 70 kms or so I rode along the New England Highway: pretty enough, but a major road with all the joys of cars, trucks and traffic. I turned west on the outskirts of Scone, bound to Merriwah. I refuelled there before riding on to Mudgee, where I stopped to rehydrate and eat. Did I mention it was hot? The afternoon took me along some new and some familiar roads to the city of Bathurst.

For those in whose veins runs the fuel of the internal combustion engine, Bathurst is a mecca for its Mount Panorama motor racing circuit. While I was on this trip it would host a [url=https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au]12-hour endurance race. On the first weekend of October it is home to the [url=https://www.supercars.com/events/2023-bathurst-1000]Bathurst 1000, a major event on the Australian motorsport calendar.

I mention this because when it’s not being used for racing the circuit is a public road and I’ve always wondered about riding around it. Today was the day.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
You can zoom in on it on the [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-%20HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1 towards the end of Day 2, and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGW7YbGvuw]here’s a video of a lap through the window of a cage.

I did a couple of careful laps at the posted speed limit of 60 kph and realised you’d want lots of practice before hurtling around it at high speed.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Near the top of Mount Panorama.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Con Rod straight. There were more photos of the track, but lanyard cam malfunctioned and the lens cover didn’t open properly.

A soccer carnival meant every venue in Bathurst was fully booked so I rode on to Oberon and the Big Trout Motor Inn.

After 644 kms over the day, I was still feeling pretty good about my riding fitness.

60kph? So a mostly public road has that limit, but at times is a racing route! If one got pulled over for speeding on that road, I don't know...an arg! moment.

Cormanus_imp said:
Day 2 — Walcha to Oberon
[url=https://postimages.org/]
[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

I nearly always travel south through Walcha. It’s on the New England Plateau and is the starting point of many a fine ride, including the Oxley Highway, regarded by many as the best riding road in Australia. My path usually takes me down Thunderbolts Way (named after an Australian Bush Ranger) to Gloucester and Dungog. Not today. I wanted to find other interesting ways to avoid Sydney.

After half an hour or so, I turned right off Thunderbolts Way and rode west along Topdale Road and descended the Port Stephens Cutting, a narrow, twisting and steep descent to the valley below. From there it’s a pretty ride through hilly agricultural country to Dungowan where the country starts to open out onto the Macquarie Plain. Turning left I rode past the Chaffey Dam and then further west to Wallabadah where I stopped for fuel for both me and the CB. All good riding. These are old but reasonably well-maintained country roads with more than enough undulation and good sweeping corners to be interesting and fun for a motorcyclist.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
A couple of sections of the Port Stephens Cutting

[url=https://postimages.org/]
The CB at Dungowan

As an aside, it was summer in Australia and the days were hot — north of 30ºC. So it was strange to have left Walcha wearing the inner thermal lining of my jacket and winter gloves to ward off the early morning chill. By Wallabadah, the need for them was well and truly over.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Heading south from Dungowan

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Chaffey Dam

For the next 70 kms or so I rode along the New England Highway: pretty enough, but a major road with all the joys of cars, trucks and traffic. I turned west on the outskirts of Scone, bound to Merriwah. I refuelled there before riding on to Mudgee, where I stopped to rehydrate and eat. Did I mention it was hot? The afternoon took me along some new and some familiar roads to the city of Bathurst.

For those in whose veins runs the fuel of the internal combustion engine, Bathurst is a mecca for its Mount Panorama motor racing circuit. While I was on this trip it would host a [url=https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au]12-hour endurance race. On the first weekend of October it is home to the [url=https://www.supercars.com/events/2023-bathurst-1000]Bathurst 1000, a major event on the Australian motorsport calendar.

I mention this because when it’s not being used for racing the circuit is a public road and I’ve always wondered about riding around it. Today was the day.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
You can zoom in on it on the [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-%20HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1 towards the end of Day 2, and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGW7YbGvuw]here’s a video of a lap through the window of a cage.

I did a couple of careful laps at the posted speed limit of 60 kph and realised you’d want lots of practice before hurtling around it at high speed.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Near the top of Mount Panorama.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Con Rod straight. There were more photos of the track, but lanyard cam malfunctioned and the lens cover didn’t open properly.

A soccer carnival meant every venue in Bathurst was fully booked so I rode on to Oberon and the Big Trout Motor Inn.

After 644 kms over the day, I was still feeling pretty good about my riding fitness.
That's a good riding day. How did the new bionic knees feel? Does the sustained riding position or maybe the heat affect them?
 
One question... did you stop and see the Penguin?
 
Thread starter
pdedse,
[li]Some parts of Australia are having their indigenous names restored. As you say the juxtaposition is great. On a pedantic note, Oberon, is a European word — see A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream.[/li] [li]60 kph is the posted speed limit for many built up areas. Increasingly, it’s being reduced to 50 kph in urban and suburban streets. Freeway speed limits are 100 or 110 kph.[/li] [li]The bionic knees are just terrific. The only inconvenience is in one hip muscle that seems to have been badly weakened by years of compensating for the bad knee. :thumbsup:I’m in much better shape now at the end of the day.
[/li]

Ferret

:rofl:

Penguins are way too scary. :angel:
 
... in urban southern Ontario:

Many areas are changing from 60 to 50 km/h.

Proper urban is 40 km/h, and some areas have changed from 40 to 30 km/h with "catalytic converter thieving" speed bumps.
 
My wife grew up Catholic, the portrayal wasn't far off according to her.

Wonderful read Cormanus.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse,
[li]Some parts of Australia are having their indigenous names restored. As you say the juxtaposition is great. On a pedantic note, Oberon, is a European word — see A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream.[/li] [li]60 kph is the posted speed limit for many built up areas. Increasingly, it’s being reduced to 50 kph in urban and suburban streets. Freeway speed limits are 100 or 110 kph.[/li] [li]The bionic knees are just terrific. The only inconvenience is in one hip muscle that seems to have been badly weakened by years of compensating for the bad knee. :thumbsup:I’m in much better shape now at the end of the day.
[/li]

Ferret

:rofl:

Penguins are way too scary. :angel:
Oh, that's right...Oberon, king of the fairies. My English major is failing me in recent posts. And I even performed part of that play in my Shakespeare class so many years ago.

Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse,
[li]Some parts of Australia are having their indigenous names restored. As you say the juxtaposition is great. On a pedantic note, Oberon, is a European word — see A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream.[/li] [li]60 kph is the posted speed limit for many built up areas. Increasingly, it’s being reduced to 50 kph in urban and suburban streets. Freeway speed limits are 100 or 110 kph.[/li] [li]The bionic knees are just terrific. The only inconvenience is in one hip muscle that seems to have been badly weakened by years of compensating for the bad knee. :thumbsup:I’m in much better shape now at the end of the day.
[/li]

Ferret

:rofl:

Penguins are way too scary. :angel:
Very glad to hear.
 
On a mission from God.

When you are out on that road, watch out for—— wait for it— Rollers ;)
 
Thread starter
Day 3 — Oberon to Moruya


[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

Thermal layers again as I set off over Shooters Hill along an oft-ridden road to Taralga. I like Taralga; Pterodactyl doesn’t. I don’t know why. Since I was last there, the General Store has sprouted an extension called Grand Ettie where I got breakfast, an excellent cup of coffee and a pastry that I shouldn’t have eaten. Not that there was anything wrong with it; I simply don’t need all that sugar.

Early morning mist as I left Oberon

There being no petrol to be had in Taralga on Saturday; me being earlier than expected; and the road to Goulburn not being all that interesting, led to my deciding to ride to Crookwell along a pretty country road of many sweeping corners. I planned to ride via a small town called Roslyn for no reason other than that it showed up on the map, but every road I saw was dirt. While I’m not averse to riding the CB on a well-made dirt road, I’m increasingly reluctant to do it on my own and, anyway, the bike was uncharacteristically clean.

Near Crookwell

After getting fuel in Crookwell, I headed for Goulburn — another pretty enough route — and then to Tarago where, at the Loaded Dog Hotel, Inhouse Bob had his first encounter with Vegemite. (the story is [url=http://www.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10537]here but all the pictures have disappeared thanks to the hosting service, so here’s Bob and the Vegemite.



At Braidwood I stopped at a French-themed café (who knew the country towns were so trendy, but then I suppose Braidwood is close to Canberra) before making my way down the beautiful Clyde Mountain Road to Batemans Bay* and thence to Moruya.

Another 380 kms or so under the tyres. Knees holding up well. Notwithstanding, I was looking forward to a few days out of the saddle and time with my wife and old friends.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
Back near the sea

* The last time I recall riding down the Clyde Mountain was horrendous. Pterodactyl described it well [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=187995#pid187995]here under the heading The Very Abbreviated Seat Time Bit.
 
Thread starter
Chapter Two

The Band
Day 4 — Moruya to Cooma

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

My wife and I had a great time with our friends and a bit of a look around the lovely part of Australia in which they’ve chosen to live — on the coast with good swimming and surfing as well as fertile land and mountains to the west. Adjacent to some great motorcycle country!

Somewhere on the way south the visor of my helmet had broken. The right-hand side lugs holding it to the helmet had snapped off. It kinda worked until I turned my head to the right and it would pop out. I could see it popping out so exuberantly that it would snap the other side. I’d had the helmet since 2016 when its predecessor blew off a guidepost on top of a mountain in Tasmania and was damaged. It was a good 7 years old and everyone I talked to told me it was due for replacement. I didn’t want to do it, but I couldn’t source a replacement visor anywhere. Nowra, a couple of hours to the north up the main coast road offered an opportunity. It’s also an easy ride to Braidwood where Pterodactyl and I planned to meet at the end of the day.

The helmet was duly replaced with a flash new Shark Carbon Spartan and I went across the road for a cup of coffee. There I met a bloke who had just bought a Honda CBX and was fuming at the difficulty of transferring the registration. I think he’d made a mistake on the hand-written form which meant he had to do the thing all over again. It’s the sort of rank stupidity that rightly gives bureaucracy a bad name.
[url=https://postimg.cc/Ty2202CN]
there’s nothing wrong with riding up this bit of the coast road

[url=https://postimages.org/]
New lid

[url=https://postimages.org/]
This guy (obscured) was really friendly. He wasn’t riding the CBX. His was the Suzuki next to it. As I didn’t ask whether I could take or publish his picture,I’ve wiped him out so to speak.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Gotta love a CBX

To stay on sealed road, I had to make another detour past Tarago and the Loaded Dog. Somewhere around there, it became clear Pterodactyl had left Sydney a day early and was heading for Cooma. I called him and we agreed I’d head for Cooma and he’d ride out to meet me.

[url=https://postimg.cc/7CBHWvRH]
Nothing wrong with the road to Tarago and Braidwood either

I remembered them as not being too long and in good condition There’s a pretty and direct road to Cooma from Braidwood. It has gravel sections, but when I rode them with Pterodactyl and NoRoomtoMove. I remember we stopped in a very pretty bush camping area for a cup of tea.

WRONG!! The gravel section was longer I recalled and the weather had played havoc with the surface in the intervening years. The sealed bits at either end were fast and lots of fun; the gravel was slow and rattled the fillings in my teeth. Google Maps told Pterodactyl a section of the road at his end was closed (it wasn’t) and led him a merry dance. We finally met up in Cooma and checked into the Alpine Hotel.

[url=https://postimg.cc/s1GjwN4z]
The sealed bits of the Braidwood Cooma Road were just fantastic; an antidote to boredom …

[url=https://postimg.cc/CBXFwGY9]
… but much of this gravelly stuff was not much fun at all. To be fair it was prettier than the alternative route.

Participants in the Rally Down Under stayed here in 2017. In those heady days, Pterodactyl and I used to enjoy a beer or two followed by a glass or two of fine red wine followed by increasingly animated discussions. I’m not sure they were always fun for spectators. These days, we’re both considerably more subdued.

Two members of the band were together.
 
What a great experience and write-up. Wonderful pictures too! Posts like this makes me wish there were such things like the transporters from Star Trek. Would be nice to be able to just pop over with the bike for a ride and a brew and be back in my own bed that evening.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Chapter Two

The Band
Day 4 — Moruya to Cooma

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ABt-HMtcUT7QB20xDoDdA61uMte9GP0&usp=sharing]Master map #1

My wife and I had a great time with our friends and a bit of a look around the lovely part of Australia in which they’ve chosen to live — on the coast with good swimming and surfing as well as fertile land and mountains to the west. Adjacent to some great motorcycle country!

Somewhere on the way south the visor of my helmet had broken. The right-hand side lugs holding it to the helmet had snapped off. It kinda worked until I turned my head to the right and it would pop out. I could see it popping out so exuberantly that it would snap the other side. I’d had the helmet since 2016 when its predecessor blew off a guidepost on top of a mountain in Tasmania and was damaged. It was a good 7 years old and everyone I talked to told me it was due for replacement. I didn’t want to do it, but I couldn’t source a replacement visor anywhere. Nowra, a couple of hours to the north up the main coast road offered an opportunity. It’s also an easy ride to Braidwood where Pterodactyl and I planned to meet at the end of the day.

The helmet was duly replaced with a flash new Shark Carbon Spartan and I went across the road for a cup of coffee. There I met a bloke who had just bought a Honda CBX and was fuming at the difficulty of transferring the registration. I think he’d made a mistake on the hand-written form which meant he had to do the thing all over again. It’s the sort of rank stupidity that rightly gives bureaucracy a bad name.
[url=https://postimg.cc/Ty2202CN]
there’s nothing wrong with riding up this bit of the coast road

[url=https://postimages.org/]
New lid

[url=https://postimages.org/]
This guy (obscured) was really friendly. He wasn’t riding the CBX. His was the Suzuki next to it. As I didn’t ask whether I could take or publish his picture,I’ve wiped him out so to speak.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Gotta love a CBX

To stay on sealed road, I had to make another detour past Tarago and the Loaded Dog. Somewhere around there, it became clear Pterodactyl had left Sydney a day early and was heading for Cooma. I called him and we agreed I’d head for Cooma and he’d ride out to meet me.

[url=https://postimg.cc/7CBHWvRH]
Nothing wrong with the road to Tarago and Braidwood either

I remembered them as not being too long and in good condition There’s a pretty and direct road to Cooma from Braidwood. It has gravel sections, but when I rode them with Pterodactyl and NoRoomtoMove. I remember we stopped in a very pretty bush camping area for a cup of tea.

WRONG!! The gravel section was longer I recalled and the weather had played havoc with the surface in the intervening years. The sealed bits at either end were fast and lots of fun; the gravel was slow and rattled the fillings in my teeth. Google Maps told Pterodactyl a section of the road at his end was closed (it wasn’t) and led him a merry dance. We finally met up in Cooma and checked into the Alpine Hotel.

[url=https://postimg.cc/s1GjwN4z]
The sealed bits of the Braidwood Cooma Road were just fantastic; an antidote to boredom …

[url=https://postimg.cc/CBXFwGY9]
… but much of this gravelly stuff was not much fun at all. To be fair it was prettier than the alternative route.

Participants in the Rally Down Under stayed here in 2017. In those heady days, Pterodactyl and I used to enjoy a beer or two followed by a glass or two of fine red wine followed by increasingly animated discussions. I’m not sure they were always fun for spectators. These days, we’re both considerably more subdued.

Two members of the band were together.

Ah! Saw your new helmet purchase in another thread...so it was an "emergency" purchase, so to speak. Looks great to me. How is it?
 
Whoops_imp said:
What a great experience and write-up. Wonderful pictures too! Posts like this makes me wish there were such things like the transporters from Star Trek. Would be nice to be able to just pop over with the bike for a ride and a brew and be back in my own bed that evening.
(+1) on that. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the kind words, folks. Tev, an AirHawk makes long days possible.

Lord Popgun, I kept an eye out for Rollers. I also fixed the cigarette lighter.

pdedse, the new lid is great. It’s comfortable, light and suits my head well. I’m very happy with it.
 
Back
Top