The Cormanus Chronicles: 5 of 2017

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
For lots of reasons, I’ve not done much riding since the Ride Down Under in March. So I was overdue for a day out. Well overdue.

Queensland, Australia, in the winter is glorious for riding: cool mornings and clear, sunny skies, make way for temperatures in the low to mid 20s (Celsius) during the middle of the day. The lower temperatures reduce the heat haze, so the visibility is good.



[url=https://goo.gl/maps/sBXn7NDSBew]Link to Map

I headed south down the motorway—clockwise around the ‘8’.


And came to the Gold Coast-Springbrook Road where, at some point, a sign warned me it was closed ahead.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/cvfbsi91b/]

But, because I wanted to have a look, I kept going until I came to Polly’s Country Kitchen. I was hungry so I stopped for coffee and food. Polly made a passable cappuccino and an excellent plate of eggs and bacon, and I took a photo of the bike.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/waq3lm2bj/]

My timing was impeccable. Three hundred metres or so further-on the road was closed. I retraced my steps a little, rode some pretty roads and came to views of mountains.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/7g6lrjhhb/]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/h5tzo3e4f/]

By then I was over the border into New South Wales. And I took a new turn to head to Tyalgum. There was a lovely view looking back to a section of the Border Ranges which formed a natural amphitheatre.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/i1lvpsyf3/]

There were cows.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/6ka4c37sv/]

And streams.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/4v1140s3j/]

And road through pretty Australian bush.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/i0gja4lz3/]

There were wooden bridges
[url=https://postimg.org/image/p4ycj5t8f/]

And more mountains.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/sr8r9jozj/]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/spytg4n5r/]

And then, 469 kilometres later, I was home. And tired. And happy.
 
Magnificent Cormanus. Beautiful country, even better weather, and a fabulous bike ... you're one lucky Australia CB1100 rider living in QLD. Keep riding and posting those pictures, they look great.
 
Been down those roads a few times in the last couple of months. Maybe we passes one another. Love the Numinbar valley for the spectacular scenery.
 
Having spent three weeks in Australia, and had the time of my life, I'm always happy to see pictures of your rides there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
It's good to get out after an absence. I wish we had mountains close to me. I have to drive 7 or 8 hours to get to some.

Nice report and pics Cormanus
 
Australia was one of our favorite ports to visit during my time in the Navy. I remember Darwin and its changing tide levels. We had go constantly adjust the ship's mooring lines to keep it on the pier. Land down under!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That's some lovely country, Cormanus. Now you reap the reward of enduring the high heat of summertime down there: temperate winter riding weather.
 
Nice pictures and nice trip, Cromanus!

It seems as if you´ve got a lot of landscape over there and have to ride great distances.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the kind words.

Blockhead, once you get off the slab, it's good riding. There's better roads, but the countryside around the border is pretty special.

Alohacmc, as I recall the tide rises an falls about 30 feet in Darwin. Much more than anywhere else I've been in Australia.

Stichill, you are so right about the trade off for the glorious winters.

Tezza, sorry not to have seen you about.

Coliban, it's a big place.

Rocky, come again and we'll go for a ride.

Aussieflyer and noroomtomove, you could ride up and collect Pterodactyl on the way. Maybe?

Ferret, you're missing something.
 
Back
Top