The Colours of Australia

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Have you ever wondered why Australian sporting teams wear green and gold? No, you reply. I thought so. The question was rhetorical really. Well in the time honoured tradition of rhetorical question askers (particularly elderly ones) I'm going to fill you in.

To put this in context, it is a general, but not binding, rule that the colours (OK, colors) of a country generally follow that of the national flag. For example the sportspeople of the USA (I am getting really good at this PC stuff now) generally have a red, white and blue motif, or even the flag itself. The English red and white, the French the tricolour, the Italians green, red and white, Bahrain red and white.......and the list goes on. However, the Australian flag, for the moment anyway, is good old red, white and blue. Our national colours are green and gold. Why? Well here is a clue. Riding down the Bylong Valley road last weekend I dismounted for a comfort stop and took these photos.

a51dd610764b0b4ea52e1a6bd09d608b.jpg


96e0efcb442d767015390b0af6f77c4a.jpg


6e13c4626a323c54e085c84c7f317079.jpg


For more information to add to the trivia bank: Colours of Australia.

Cheers
 
Beautiful Ptero! 1st and 3rd photos look very similar lol.

so, are there plans to change the Aussie flag?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Beautiful Ptero! 1st and 3rd photos look very similar lol.

so, are there plans to change the Aussie flag?
Similar, yes. The same, no. :D


The flag? What you might call a vexed question. The Aussies on this forum would almost certainly have some different, or even different and passionate, views. Perhaps best left to other places.

Cheers
 
Oh I thought maybe something was going through your congress/parliament or something
 
Lovely photos Ptero, indeed there is much green and gold and a pleasing combo to the eye it is.

Would you know the common name of those trees? They appear similar to our Cassias or even some Mesquite.

Did you get home in time for dinner?
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Lovely photos Ptero, indeed there is much green and gold and a pleasing combo to the eye it is.

Would you know the common name of those trees? They appear similar to our Cassias or even some Mesquite.

Did you get home in time for dinner?
They are an Acacia, commonly known as Wattle. See this link:

Acacia pycnantha - Wikipedia

At this time of the year large swathes of the countryside are in colour from them

Mate, I am never late for dinner :).

Cheers
 
I was planning on adding some smart aleck comment about seeing the Aussie women wearing green and gold when they lost to the US at World Cup and thinking wow, those are some good looking colors... But I thought I would take the high road and just say WOW, those are some good looking colors! I'm a sucker for nature, absolutely beautiful. I hope to make it out your way some day!!!


Some how I think I missed the mark and made an a$$ of myself anyway... :P
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Lovely photos Ptero, indeed there is much green and gold and a pleasing combo to the eye it is.

Would you know the common name of those trees? They appear similar to our Cassias or even some Mesquite.

Did you get home in time for dinner?
They are an Acacia, commonly known as Wattle. See this link:

Acacia pycnantha - Wikipedia

At this time of the year large swathes of the countryside are in colour from them

Mate, I am never late for dinner :).

Cheers
A tip o' the hat and thanks Ptero for the link.
 
Lookin good my friend. Post all the pictures you want, only way I'll get to enjoy your country.

Interested in swapping a shipment of favorite beers?
 
Thread starter
Dharma_Jones93_imp said:
I was planning on adding some smart aleck comment about seeing the Aussie women wearing green and gold when they lost to the US at World Cup and thinking wow, those are some good looking colors... But I thought I would take the high road and just say WOW, those are some good looking colors! I'm a sucker for nature, absolutely beautiful. I hope to make it out your way some day!!!


Some how I think I missed the mark and made an a$$ of myself anyway... :P
No need for apologies mate. In fact I should apologise for the delay in responding to your post. I was watching a replay of the PGA.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Oh I thought maybe something was going through your congress/parliament or something
That is our New Zealand cousins.
That is our New Zealand cousins.
Hey Cousin :thumbsup: you are right! A total waste of time and money by people who've nothing better to do..
 
The boxing kangaroo flag is green and gold, I think you might have seen it on sail boat back in 83.

Ive got a piece of its sail right next to me.

Anyone want to buy a bridge!

Regards
 
Nice pictures :thumbsup:
When I was in Australia it was in January so those trees and bushes probably weren't in bloom as a don't recall seeing anything like that.
 
Wattle I do withut them?

Great photos of a great road Pterodactyl. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
^^^^^. Nice photo.


Rocky_imp said:
Nice pictures :thumbsup:
When I was in Australia it was in January so those trees and bushes probably weren't in bloom as a don't recall seeing anything like that.
You are right, Rocky. Wattles bloom in late winter and early spring, with some variation depending on variety, and local temperatures controlled by both latitude and elevation. Blooms are well and truly gone by January which is mid summer for us.

Cheers
 
Back
Top