The aerodynamics of an open top box at speed

Thread starter
GO, the bowling comment was a reference to the movie my new avatar comes from. When you connected the marmot in a tub, I figured you were a Lebowski fan.

My Givis are both pretty good at keeping beer cold. I think the added weight of the V47 reduces vibration a bit, which aids in how quickly you can open the beers without concern of excess pressure.
 
Thread starter
Ahh shoot, and I messed that up..

I meant that obviously you’re not a golfer.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ahh shoot, and I messed that up..

I meant that obviously you’re not a golfer.
You are psychic!



In the spirit of the thread, I am not sure which is harder to carry on the CB1100:

* A bowling ball, particularly in the top box :s
* Or a reasonable set of clubs? :)

I suspect the latter.
 
Thread starter
If you look at sports roadsters of the 30s, like Mercer, Stutz, etc, they were meant to exude the spirit of the sportsman. Many of them had golf bag holders built onto the fenders. I imagine a similar setup could be made to a CB, but I'd hate to see how many clubs were missing by the time I got to the course.

Regarding the bowling ball... on the way home last night, I picked up two gallons of Odoban sanitizer at the store and took them home in the Givi. Gotta figure that combined weight was at least one bowling ball. She handled fine, but not being a ball, it wasn't rolling around back there while I was riding.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
If you look at sports roadsters of the 30s, like Mercer, Stutz, etc, they were meant to exude the spirit of the sportsman. Many of them had golf bag holders built onto the fenders. I imagine a similar setup could be made to a CB, but I'd hate to see how many clubs were missing by the time I got to the course.

Regarding the bowling ball... on the way home last night, I picked up two gallons of Odoban sanitizer at the store and took them home in the Givi. Gotta figure that combined weight was at least one bowling ball. She handled fine, but not being a ball, it wasn't rolling around back there while I was riding.
Agreed on the "rolling bowling ball" thang.

I have overloaded the 50L+ top case a few times and it did not misbehave. I suspect if the load was loose and wild things would have been different.
 
Flynrider, you can’t close the Givi monolock cases and get the key out unless they’re locked. It’s a flaw in my view.
 
Thread starter
I don't know that it's a flaw, more than it is an attempt for them to help you not lock your key inside the box.

You can, however, lock the box with the lid open, remove the key, toss the key in the box, and shut the lid, locking the key inside. So, it's not foolproof. Thankfully I haven't been fool enough to do that so far...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know that it's a flaw, more than it is an attempt for them to help you not lock your key inside the box.

You can, however, lock the box with the lid open, remove the key, toss the key in the box, and shut the lid, locking the key inside. So, it's not foolproof. Thankfully I haven't been fool enough to do that so far...
It is extra wise to ensure your ignition key is not on the same ring as the box key.
 
Thread starter
Mostly I've been guilty of leaving the key in the lock when I ride. Part of my routine is that, right before I get on the bike, I swipe my hand across the back of the box to make sure the key is out, then push on my pocket to make sure I feel the key.
 
Interesting Gone in 60. I can’t close mine if it’s locked.
 
Thread starter
Huh. I can with my two Monokey boxes. Maybe different from the Monolock boxes.
 
Did same thing myself. Took Givi off Dakar to clean it, clipped back on and went for ride. Few kms down road, hit a bump and away goes the topbox. They certainly make 'em tough.
 
hondadownunder_imp said:
Did same thing myself. Took Givi off Dakar to clean it, clipped back on and went for ride. Few kms down road, hit a bump and away goes the topbox. They certainly make 'em tough.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Wow, never had one of mine depart the bike, thankfully. If yours got lost, I do have one for sale in the classifieds. Just sayin’…
 
Back
Top