The aerodynamics of an open top box at speed

Splendid illustration, tod.branko. :thumbsup:
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I'm not an expert in aerodynamics but i know that the bikes with screens tend to create an airflow that rolls forward from the back of the bike (basically turbulence) that was one of major quirks of that old Honda 800, what was it's name... Pacific Coast, yes. It would create this bubble that would keep smacking you in the back of the head constantly. I think it has something to do with creating a vacuum behind the windscreen and then the air would rush forward to fill up the negative pressure (but don't quote me on that), that's one of the reasons modern screens have some vents at the bottom to allow some air to fill up the bubble of negative pressure and reduce turbulence.
Anyways I think that could effectively keep the top box open.

I've only ever had one bike with a top box, it was a maxi scooter - Aprilia Atlantic 500. It was a Givi box, and fortunately I haven't had any issues with it, and the Mrs enjoyed having a backrest. The bike, on the other hand, was utter garbage, and I couldn't get rid of it soon enough.

I did forget to close my tank bag on a few occasions and I think it was only pure luck that saved me from losing all my stuff

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
4b20c6b69787c495cb53d2f03cfbae5d.jpg
Another sketch!

Tod: You should open a "gallery" thread. Early works are sometimes in most demand. :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I'm not an expert in aerodynamics but i know that the bikes with screens tend to create an airflow that rolls forward from the back of the bike (basically turbulence) that was one of major quirks of that old Honda 800, what was it's name... Pacific Coast, yes. It would create this bubble that would keep smacking you in the back of the head constantly. I think it has something to do with creating a vacuum behind the windscreen and then the air would rush forward to fill up the negative pressure (but don't quote me on that), that's one of the reasons modern screens have some vents at the bottom to allow some air to fill up the bubble of negative pressure and reduce turbulence.
Anyways I think that could effectively keep the top box open.

I've only ever had one bike with a top box, it was a maxi scooter - Aprilia Atlantic 500. It was a Givi box, and fortunately I haven't had any issues with it, and the Mrs enjoyed having a backrest. The bike, on the other hand, was utter garbage, and I couldn't get rid of it soon enough.

I did forget to close my tank bag on a few occasions and I think it was only pure luck that saved me from losing all my stuff

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
4b20c6b69787c495cb53d2f03cfbae5d.jpg
Another sketch!

Tod: You should open a "gallery" thread. Early works are sometimes in most demand. :)
Another sketch!

Tod: You should open a "gallery" thread. Early works are sometimes in most demand. :)
5bf1057e6ed157665cb4d40d3b117a94.png
35d66d59f57cd0918f4fa429062210c4.png
I will consider it

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Cave men did something similar when sketching animals on the walls of their living quarters, and people are still in awe over their art.
 
Just in case you guys were wondering...
My custom Fred Sanford design top box lid will flip up a 47.5 mph and spew all light weight contents IF left unlatched by mistake.

c63f746ef9ceea41c0d91e00a8bd9737.jpg
 
Are you sure it's not the flux capacitor warming up?
 
A new variation on " my dog eat my home work " Teacher , I lost my home assignment as the lid blew open on my top box and the papers flew out !
 
Thread starter
Tod, when I first glanced at your sketch, I got a totally different idea of what you were going for... until I took a closer look.
GO.... Apparently you're not a bowler.
 
This is an interesting thread. I have a Hepco & Becker Journey 40 top case on my CB and I only lock the top box when I leave something in it that I don't want to have stolen. I've had it over 80 mph and it's never popped open. I think the difference might be in the latching mechanism. Even when it's unlocked, the latch stays engaged with the lid.

ed62248bd1ee865d9054db508b818b52.jpg
 
My Givi top box passed rev limiter test 2 x....and Lord Popgun has a Givi as well...
The only difference between our top boxes is that mine keeps beer cooler 2x longer than his....if it is previously cooled in a fridge :)
:banana:
 
At this point I have to ask, What is a fridge? Sounds kinda familiar, but can’t place it.
 
I owned a late 60s Triumph with Lucas electrics. That bike nearly drove me insane. I actually used to carry a big 5 cell flashlight to strap on the handlebars if I rode it at night.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Tod, when I first glanced at your sketch, I got a totally different idea of what you were going for... until I took a closer look.
GO.... Apparently you're not a bowler.
Yeah, I suppose not. Well, I've bowled many times, but definitely lack the literacy. Hmm, just speaking the other day how all the bowling alleys in the local region have closed for good. (*sigh*)
 
Back
Top