that pinging noise when you turn off the motor....

jedd_imp

Been there
Thread starter
just curious...
that air cooling down noise that Honda is so proud of....

do you guys hear it directly off the cylinder fins?

I don't hear any cooling down noise off the motor on mine right after a day's ride...

I hear what I believe is cracking noise from the exhaust silencer cooling down.

Is this what Honda means? :thanks:
 
Yep. On mine, it's the exhaust, and it only lasts about a minute. My water-cooled bikes make the same noise. The catalytic converter gets really hot!
 
I'll often hear the fins ticking/pinging as the engine is cooling down, but I think that the noises made by the exhaust as it cools are typically louder.
 
There is an old thread on this, titled, "where's the pop and ting" or something like that.

Bottom line, i do not think the cooling fins make any significant noise despite the 2mm thickness and Honda's insistence they were designed to make that noise.
 
the cooling fins does.....well on my 15 DLX i hear nothing (but a colleague on his ) but now at the 17 EX i hear it clear.. ......
 
I guess I'm not all that surprised to learn so many people here haven't heard the cooling fins pinging on their CBs. One explanation for this might be the amount of hearing degradation typically associated with the age group that the CB1100 appeals to. While the engine on my bike doesn't make the pinging noises after every time out, I've certainly lost count of the number of times it has. But thinking about many of the conversations that have taken place on this forum, it seems that a few of us have noted hearing other noises associated this engine that most here don't notice/don't hear.

My dad worked for GTE (General Telephone & Electronics company) for almost his entire career. Much of that time was spent working in central offices where all of the (then) mechanical switching equipment was located. That job really took it's toll on his hearing. Later on in his life I was always amazed at the number of things that I could hear on a regular basis that he simply could not. So it goes.
 
So Guth just called us a bunch of old geezers. Well you know what Guth, I guess we are. :P
 
Huh?!?

I used to tell my customers, "You know you have a hearing problem when you can't hear people without your glasses!"
 
I don't hear well. Shooting guns since 7 years old ( we had a shooting range in the basement and got bricks of ammo for Christmas) rock and roll concerts in my late teens, early 20s, riding and racing motorcycles for 52 years .... all without the benefit of hearing protection has certainly taken it's toll. The tinnitus is 24/7/365 ..it's constant and it's loud, and probably takes up 25% of my hearing. I miss half the conversations in person, on TV and at the theatre. At least on the computer I can read what y'all are saying without having to hear it

Yet, I hear my bike pinging and tinking when I come in from every ride. only to me it sure sounds like it's coming from the mufflers cooling down amd not the cylinder fins. but at least I hear tinking and pinging like they promised so I am satisfied lol
 
Ferret, I'm in your boat, hearing-wise. 47 years of riding and playing the drums did it to me. And I've been riding with earplugs for the last 23 years.
 
No ticking and pinging for me. I wrote the original thread about this a while back. I suspected the noises I was hearing were related to the cat, header and exhaust ticking and pinging as opposed to the actual engine fins and my suspicion was confirmed when I switched to the full Yoshi system, eliminating the OEM headers and everything else rear of that. Now even those noises are gone since my ceramic coated headers and exhaust don't seem to make the same popping and tinking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My Honda NC700, Honda pioneer 700, and cb all make ticking sounds when first parked think its just cooling down pioneer is really loud ticking ...
 
COCB1100_imp said:
No ticking and pinging for me. I wrote the original thread about this a while back. I suspected the noises I was hearing were related to the cat, header and exhaust ticking and pinging as opposed to the actual engine fins and my suspicion was confirmed when I switched to the full Yoshi system, eliminating the OEM headers and everything else rear of that. Now even those noises are gone since my ceramic coated headers and exhaust don't seem to make the same popping and tinking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if you have been with us since June....I wrote the thread years ago, not months :D :P
 
Back
Top