Thanks Sportster Doc

The ferret_imp said:
Oh yea? Which direction Roper?

On a side note, I don't know that I'd ride 2 1/2 hours to have lunch with me lol.

We are driving to Bryce tomorrow and maybe Coral Reef and RT 12 Grande Escalante Saturday.( supposedly one of the premier motorcycle roads in the country Ive been told.
North. I'm in Santaquin--a little town off I-15. Sorry I missed you this time around. Let me know when you're in UT next time. There are also some spectacular roads in the Wasatch range and into western WY.
 
Ferret, one more suggestion, though I may be too late: I imagine you'll be passing through Green River, UT, on I-70 as you begin your journey east. If so, a 1-2 hour stop at the John Wesley Powell Museum in town is highly recommended.
 
Thread starter
Yes LR it was Capitol Reef

How good is UT 12 / Grande Staircase Escalante? There is a sign at the start..big led light flashing thing ( I tried to take a pic but camera or phone wouldn't read the sign) that says

MOTORCYCLISTS USE CAUTION NEXT 110 MILES

OH YEA, It was a great road and we saw many motorcycles on it.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Ferret, one more suggestion, though I may be too late: I imagine you'll be passing through Green River, UT, on I-70 as you begin your journey east. If so, a 1-2 hour stop at the John Wesley Powell Museum in town is highly recommended.
Yes, wife and I been there TWICE.
A well done museum.
 
ferret is in some of the better parts of Utah. The area around Green River is barren. Long Rider could tecommend great country roads in Colorado, on your way to Utah.
 
Certainly could. I'd route him back to Moab on US 191 to La Sal Junction, then east into Colorado on UT 46 / CO 90 through Paradox valley. Once in Naturita, CO, head north on CO 141 through Gateway towards Grand Junction. This road is gorgeous and will bring Ferret to tears. CO 141 ends at US 50, so continue north on US 50 to Clifton / I-70. Enter I-70 east and exit at CO 65 towards Mesa. Then, south on CO 65 over Grand Mesa until it meets up with CO 92. More tears. Follow CO 92 east to Hotchkiss, then south on CO 92 past the Black Canyon of the Gunnison until it goes over the dam and meets up with US 50. Now Ferret is balling his eyes out. These roads are motorcycle nirvana.

More sobbing awaits. Continue on US 50 eastbound past Curecanti towards Gunnison until you reach CO 149, the "Silver Thread Scenic Byway." Right on CO 149 towards Lake City, over the Continental Divide at Spring Creek Pass, and into South Fork. Have enough yet? No? At South Fork, east on US 160 until it meets up with US 285. North on US 285 to Saguache, then left on CO 114 over the Continental Divide again at North Pass, towards Gunnison. When you reach US 50, head east over the Continental Divide once more at Monarach Pass, rejoin US 285, and follow it north to Jefferson. Right on CO 177 Tarryall Road to Lake George (Ferret and Offroad rode this with me last year), meet up with US 24, and either follow it to Colorado Springs and points east, or, when you reach Woodland Park, head north on CO 67 through Deckers and Pine Grove back to US 285 and down Turkey Creek Canyon to Denver and beyond.

At this point, Ferret is drowning in tears and frustration, but he's taking notes and will be back on his FJR to experience these roads for real. I hope.
 
Thread starter
Lol When Ferret leaves here it's going to be a straight shot as fast as he can back to Ohio with maybe a stop in Evergreen Colorado to have dinner with some friends if they are available. We are leaving a day early so will be passing thru Evergreen tomorrow ( Tuesday) night. (you get the hint LR? Lol)
 
Thread starter
Hey Doc, stopped by the bakery on 89 in Oderville on our way back from Lake Powell but it was closed. Btw 89 south of there to AZ is a hot flat straight boring road unfit for motorcycles. I don't know that I would run 89 much south of 9 on 2 wheels
 
Sounds like a great trip, Mickey. I'm going to be doing a similar trip in about two weeks (also on 4 wheels) and hope to finally check out Bryce and Capitol Reef on the way back.

I haven't really done a 4 wheel trip since the 80s. I've got to head up to Idaho to check on my plane and drop off some maintenance docs. While there I'm picking up all of my summer camping gear that I had to leave up there when I broke the plane. I figured since I'll be making my way back through Utah with a load of camping gear, I might as well make some lemonade out of my lemon filled summer. :D
 
Thread starter
Good plan flyin. It is getting nippy at nights here..mid 30's but days have been in the upper 70s low 80s.
 
Sounds a good plan to me, Flyn. Enjoy.
 
It was great seeing Ferret again last night and meeting Mrs. Ferret for the first time. He's looking well considering his recent get-off and she is absolutely delightful! Nice people!

Hope you two were able to hit the road early enough this morning to avoid Denver traffic. By now you're probably sailing across Kansas and dreaming of the comfy bed that awaits you tonight. Safe travels! Next time on two wheels, not four!
 
He wasn't riding so I don't know. But knowing ferret, he'll defy Dr's orders and be back on his bike before he's supposed to. Can't keep this guy off two wheels.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey Doc, stopped by the bakery on 89 in Oderville on our way back from Lake Powell but it was closed. Btw 89 south of there to AZ is a hot flat straight boring road unfit for motorcycles. I don't know that I would run 89 much south of 9 on 2 wheels
Sorry you missed the bakery.

89A to 67 through Jacob Lake to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, is nice, once 89A starts climbing.

Google Maps

Just got back from Northern Arizona with my 6 year old grandson.
Miss the CB, but still enjoying retirement!
 
Thread starter
Did not know where 89a went. Wished I had known. Wife wanted to go to north rim of GC, but we stopped at lake powell and GPS said GC was 2 1/2 hours away.

On way home now, spent all day driving thru Kansas. Man what a boring ride

Btw had a great visit and dinner with Long Ranger last night. Great guy.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Did not know where 89a went. Wished I had known. Wife wanted to go to north rim of GC, but we stopped at lake powell and GPS said GC was 2 1/2 hours away.

On way home now, spent all day driving thru Kansas. Man what a boring ride

Btw had a great visit and dinner with Long Ranger last night. Great guy.
89a is also a nice ride from Prescott Valley to Clarkdale (Mingus Mountain pass is > 7,000 feet) and Sedona to Flagstaff (Oak Creek Canyon).

Google Maps

Eric is a very friendly and hospitable person!
He has offered me use of one of his bikes, but I would be very hesitant to do so, even before the eye issue...but very much appreciated his offer.

Don't know if he is Long Ranger due to distances traveled or his height!
 
Back
Top