Thanks Sportster Doc

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Drove ( yea I know..still not cleared to ride), a great road today thanks to Sporster Doc. RT 14 in Utah between 89 and Cedar City. What a great road... Also drove 89, 148 thru Cedar Breaks, and 143. Every one a great motorcycle road.

Man I miss my motorcycle.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Drove ( yea I know..still not cleared to ride), a great road today thanks to Sporster Doc. RT 14 in Utah between 89 and Cedar City. What a great road... Also drove 89, 148 thru Cedar Breaks, and 143. Every one a great motorcycle road.

Man I miss my motorcycle.
GOOGLE map, please
....practicing before full recovery?? :P
 
Thread starter
Oh yea? Which direction Roper?

On a side note, I don't know that I'd ride 2 1/2 hours to have lunch with me lol.

We are driving to Bryce tomorrow and maybe Coral Reef and RT 12 Grande Escalante Saturday.( supposedly one of the premier motorcycle roads in the country Ive been told.
 
Utah is the best. This is the Devil's Backbone on UT12, just south of Torrey. Can't believe this photo was taken 16 years ago.

dd241e17b1c3ab642dcb3ea4d6e662ff.jpg
 
Glad you enjoyed it, but on a M/C is wonderful

Here you go, Peter: Google Maps

Continuing east on 14 to Duck Creek goes through lava beds.

If you go to Zion National Park, enter from the east..much less traffic.

I am planning on taking my wife to Bryce and Zion in early November...but it will be in our truck.
 
Doc, isn't Zion Canyon closed to traffic now? The only allowed traffic in the park is east-west through the tunnel, Carmel Junction to Springdale (which is awesome), but if you want to go to Zion Lodge you need to take the shuttle?
 
Thread starter
We did Zion today... both directions. Entered and exited from the south. Traffic wasn't too bad, guess cause it was a mid week morning when we went.

The lava rocks were amazing. The Aspen leaves are mostly bright yellow, skies are blue and temps are moderate. Curve after curve after curve with elevation changes makes traveling a pleasure.

Most fun part at Zion, I had 2 folding chairs with arm tables. We pulled over in a turn off, pulled out our chairs and had a turkey and colby jack cheese roll ups, red grapes, fritos, and gatorade picnic while staring at amazing scenery.

Tomorrow is the last day I have to wear the sling, and get to start working the arm in preparation for our return home amd my return to 2 wheels.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Doc, isn't Zion Canyon closed to traffic now? The only allowed traffic in the park is east-west through the tunnel, Carmel Junction to Springdale (which is awesome), but if you want to go to Zion Lodge you need to take the shuttle?
Yes, the road up to the narrow Virgin River Canyon is closed to traffic, other than shuttles, except the winter. East / west on 9 is open year round.

I have been up in the canyon, in the winter months, on different M/C, when there would have been no parking for a car/truck. There is a trail past the parking lot and restrooms. When the trail ends, walking in the river is necessary. A year or two ago, my wife discovered that her "snow boots" are NOT waterproof. Gorge so narrow, I lost satellite coverage on GPS, when we have gone up there in our truck!

Google Maps

Zion is beautiful, but parking is very, very limited. Being able to pull over at a narrow spot on a bike is a big plus. Last trip there (Aug 27, riding one eyed), my Vrod friend was first to notice a group (herd?) of big horn sheep fairly close to the highway, but no place to stop, even on a bike.
 
Thread starter
We spotted big horn sheep when we visited Zion on the Bonneville in 2003, but none today. Did see a small group of Mule Deer on 14.

We did see a herd on 70 south of Denver on the way down ( also saw herd of elk and a herd of Bison)
 
I've stayed at Zion Lodge on many motorcycle trips, back in the days when you could drive your vehicle up the canyon in the summer. It is beautiful. I've also hiked up the river trail (remember Weeping Rock?) and into the river past where the trail ends. Unsuspecting day hikers have been caught during sudden flash floods and drowned.

The Baby Butt 1000 that I held in 2001 ran through Zion, but most folks rode through at midnight and missed everything!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I've stayed at Zion Lodge on many motorcycle trips, back in the days when you could drive your vehicle up the canyon in the summer. It is beautiful. I've also hiked up the river trail (remember Weeping Rock?) and into the river past where the trail ends. Unsuspecting day hikers have been caught during sudden flash floods and drowned.

The Baby Butt 1000 that I held in 2001 ran through Zion, but most folks rode through at midnight and missed everything!
05747e3e68ed36ad12b184e2c274940a.jpg
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Glad you enjoyed it, but on a M/C is wonderful

Here you go, Peter: Google Maps

Continuing east on 14 to Duck Creek goes through lava beds.

If you go to Zion National Park, enter from the east..much less traffic.

I am planning on taking my wife to Bryce and Zion in early November...but it will be in our truck.
:thanks::worship::hello::hello:
 
Such beautiful country in that area.
In November, we plan to stay the first night in/near Bryce.
The second night either in a cabin at Zion Mountain Ranch (large herd of buffalo) or go down to Kanab to the Hampton Inn.
Zion Mountain Ranch has horse back rides, so I can get back in a saddle...but we have already been on that ride.

Google Maps

BTW, if you are in the area, do not miss the German bakery on the east side of 89, near Orderville. However, its pea gravel parking lot was one of the reasons to put scrambler tires on the CB.
 
Thread starter
Doc, saw the bakery. Unfortunately because of my colitis, I cannot eat any of it. man do I miss pastries and pies and cakes.

Spent all day in Bryce. The scenery is amazing. We pic nic'd on the edge of nothing with a view of everything. Saw mule deer and antelope. Spent the last hour of the day sitting in our chairs on the precipice of the amphitheater at Sunset Point watching the sun dissapear bit by bit from the hoo doos.

Tomorrow, Ut 12, Grande Staircase Escalante and Coral Reef Natl Park.

The last time Di and I rode here we were on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville back in 2003. Life has changed a lot in the 15 years in between.

Btw no CB's spotted and the west is chock full of Harley's , BMWs and KTMs.
 
Ferret, sounds like an awesome trip so far. I love where you're at.

I think for tomorrow you meant Capital Reef Natl Park, not Coral Reef. If so, I highly recommend Cafe Diablo in Torrey, just before the park, for great eats. It's on Main Street -- you can't miss it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Doc, saw the bakery. Unfortunately because of my colitis, I cannot eat any of it. man do I miss pastries and pies and cakes.

Spent all day in Bryce. The scenery is amazing. We pic nic'd on the edge of nothing with a view of everything. Saw mule deer and antelope. Spent the last hour of the day sitting in our chairs on the precipice of the amphitheater at Sunset Point watching the sun dissapear bit by bit from the hoo doos.

Tomorrow, Ut 12, Grande Staircase Escalante and Coral Reef Natl Park.

The last time Di and I rode here we were on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville back in 2003. Life has changed a lot in the 15 years in between.

Btw no CB's spotted and the west is chock full of Harley's , BMWs and KTMs.
Sorry for that. I am not much on cake (usually too dry) and not as much on cookies (as I used to be!), but pie and ice cream are still a major attraction.

My wife wanted me to take her to Blueberry Hill for lunch yesterday. There is a Bible book store next door and a grandson's birthday is coming up.

Considering the name of the restaurant, I had to have a slice of blueberry pie. Best I've had since Whidbey Island this past June.
The ferret_imp said:
Doc, saw the bakery. Unfortunately because of my colitis, I cannot eat any of it. man do I miss pastries and pies and cakes.

Spent all day in Bryce. The scenery is amazing. We pic nic'd on the edge of nothing with a view of everything. Saw mule deer and antelope. Spent the last hour of the day sitting in our chairs on the precipice of the amphitheater at Sunset Point watching the sun dissapear bit by bit from the hoo doos.

Tomorrow, Ut 12, Grande Staircase Escalante and Coral Reef Natl Park.

The last time Di and I rode here we were on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville back in 2003. Life has changed a lot in the 15 years in between.

Btw no CB's spotted and the west is chock full of Harley's , BMWs and KTMs.
12,523 miles in 10 months and I have not seen another CB1100, other than for sale at a dealership (Simi Valley, CA and Las Vegas, NV).
That is ranging from SoCal to Las Vegas, up to Tonopah, NV, SW Utah, NW Arizona and central Arizona. Not a one.

Harleys must be at least 90% of what I see.
 
Back
Top