Test rides..demo days

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Local Yammie dealer had demo days today. Got to test ride several models.

Tenere 700.. Best ergos and surprisingly good power for a 700 as long as you keep the revs up. Tall thing. I rode one with lowering kit and lowered seat and still it was iffy at stops with only one toe at a time touching. They had one without the lowering kit and there was no way I could get on it. Crazy tall.

9a40432ac9c1d58023f159025878d588.jpg


Niken..suprisingly a very nice ride. Rides like a normal motorcycle once you get the image of the front end and tank area out of your head and just ride the thing

8a7dcd13865a5d966198b5031088a4dd.jpg


MT-10 Sweet motor, seat and suspension very firm, ergos a little aggressive

f72eb5481c8201a9f9064ccde672c5b4.jpg


XSR 900 Liked this one the best. Normal ride below 4000 rpms..hold on above 5000. Good ergos, my toes touched on both sides.

fa83be26f49c9a6b97cb3c844682a8c1.jpg
 
Looks like fun! I'd be most interested in the XSR900. Was shopping one before I bought the CB, but the seller wouldn't budge on price. Interesting take on the Nikken.
 
Wow, very busy and fun day, several models = :thumbsup:
Now, tell us all, how distinctive our CBs are :)
 
I rode these bikes (except of course the new Tenere 700) during last year's Yamaha demo days here. I REALLY liked the Niken. What a great bike that was. Of course it is just too expensive for most people.
 
Thread starter
Technically there was a 3 ride limit, but being a Friday during a pandemic so the crowds were pretty small. My son rode 5 different bikes. I won't tell you what he said about the full dressed Venture thing he rode lol

They did social distancing at sign up and riders meetings. Pens were only used once when signing in and put in a spare box once used. They wiped down each bike after each ride. Hand sanitizer was on the sign in table for anyone's use. They are trying.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Technically there was a 3 ride limit, but being a Friday during a pandemic so the crowds were pretty small. My son rode 5 different bikes. I won't tell you what he said about the full dressed Venture thing he rode lol

They did social distancing at sign up and riders meetings. Pens were only used once when signing in and put in a spare box once used. They wiped down each bike after each ride. Hand sanitizer was on the sign in table for anyone's use. They are trying.
Ferret, please do, as we are interested in his opinion and this is very democratic forum.
Nobody gets hurt, :beerchug:
 
^^ If he used rude words, I might be offended. :D

That XSR looks small, Ferret. Like the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Technically there was a 3 ride limit, but being a Friday during a pandemic so the crowds were pretty small. My son rode 5 different bikes. I won't tell you what he said about the full dressed Venture thing he rode lol

They did social distancing at sign up and riders meetings. Pens were only used once when signing in and put in a spare box once used. They wiped down each bike after each ride. Hand sanitizer was on the sign in table for anyone's use. They are trying.
Ferret, please do, as we are interested in his opinion and this is very democratic forum.
Nobody gets hurt, :beerchug:
Ferret, please do, as we are interested in his opinion and this is very democratic forum.
Nobody gets hurt, :beerchug:
LOL let's just say he was overwhelmed by it's bulk and underwhelmed by it's performance

yes Cormanus the XSR is very much CB sized but lighter and with more horsepower.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
^^ If he used rude words, I might be offended. :D

That XSR looks small, Ferret. Like the CB1100.
The XSR is much taller than the CB, with quite a bit more legroom. Wheelbase is shorter. The view from the saddle offers a lot less frontal area, due to the tiny, offset, minimalist instrument cluster and retro-tiny headlight, plus it has a slimmer midsection, so the overall impression is that there is a whole lot less bike beneath you.

Weight-wise, it's apples and oranges. Pushing both bikes around the garage, the XSR feels almost like a bicycle, by comparison. Once out on the road, it still feels lighter, but not to anywhere near the same degree. It's really only under heavy braking or quick, side-to-side transitions that you notice the CB's massive weight, relative to the 150-lbs-lighter XSR.

The biggest difference is in the overall feel. The CB feels so much more polished and relaxed. The XSR feels very raw and frenetic. It can do the slow thing just fine, as it's much torquier than the CB, and its powerband is just as linear as the CB's, albeit a whole lot wider, but it (or maybe you?) never feel content going slowly on it. Its Inline Triple scream combined with so much thrust above 5K RPM simply goads you into riding it faster and harder, and you're both the happier for it.
 
Thread starter
Hey look who showed up at Demo Days this morning. None other than Stichill ..(on the left in the photo... check out his T shirt)

ca8fbd0a8849fcf3c195670f5d4af8fb.jpg


He showed up with his son in law and a riding buddy to ride some new Yammies. Particularly the XSR 700 P-2.

ba81047dd170d67ed8a8049412270749.jpg


I liked this shot I got of him taking off for his test ride ..remind you of the emoticon? :biker: lol

42b60138c5a41a53449bdd4a90b36f39.jpg


Was great seeing you again Mr. Stichill! :hello:
 
And even though it is not him, now we know what Ack-CB11 looks like riding his Niken up in Nantucket :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey look who showed up at Demo Days this morning. None other than Stichill ..(on the left in the photo... check out his T shirt)

ca8fbd0a8849fcf3c195670f5d4af8fb.jpg


He showed up with his son in law and a riding buddy to ride some new Yammies. Particularly the XSR 700 P-2.

ba81047dd170d67ed8a8049412270749.jpg


I liked this shot I got of him taking off for his test ride ..remind you of the emoticon? :biker: lol

42b60138c5a41a53449bdd4a90b36f39.jpg


Was great seeing you again Mr. Stichill! :hello:
That BIG HUGE yellow helmet really makes him visible!! :cool:
 
Lol there's a balloon-head demo'ing that bike! :P

Enjoyed seeing you again, ferret! That seems to be our traditional annual or bi-annual meet-up. Good thing you reminded me it was coming...I hadn't seen anything about it on (anti)social media.

Here's some pics I grabbed of the ride. No idea why I didn't take a picture of ferret...must've been too preoccupied with motorcycle awesomeness.

7049abf1381c7bfb90321a6432473108.jpg


I was really impressed with the little MT-03. Amazing that it was fitted with Yamaha factory bags and mounts. The engine is fairly tame puttering around but it's a little beastie above 7000 rpm.

c7bf0830726f5858559f74ff43dd2ab1.jpg


4e408c0af56891755cfcef7568c3c502.jpg


fbb7b9fecb48434a5dce1dcf04ab4003.jpg


Was not impressed with the fueling of the XSR700. Very abrupt on-off throttle made it hard to ride smoothly. The MT-07 was a lot better mannered and was my favorite bike of the three I rode (XSR700, MT-03, MT-07).

Supercub in the showroom. Was hoping to see a CB650R in person but didn't find one on the floor.

32111129755a0e0e170e70d99a305b8c.jpg


2b441ef21068aaf1a73c839c81bc7d00.jpg
 
Thanks for the description of the XSR, VLJ. On that basis I might avoid it as any such union could well end in tears. :s
 
Thread starter
I wasn't impressed with the XR 700 either. I thought the 700 adventure version ran a whole lot better and stronger. It was actually impressive where the XRS version was anemic.
 
Back
Top