Test Drives / OTD price

It absolutely depends on the dealer if they know you and how they do business.

Fortunately we have three dealers in the Western NY, Buffalo area. One is close to my home that I have bought a couple of bikes from prior. They know me, so they will let me test ride.

I was lucky to get mine. I had an opportunity to buy from my closest dealer. I held off for a week because I wasn't ready at the time and lost the opportunity. It sold within days. So I called around, found one and bought it quickly. That dealer did let me test ride before purchasing or putting any money down.

Considering low supply, high demand, the dealer sold the Standard model to me for $600 off list, $9,400 + NY tax, title, freight, set up, $10,600 OTD. IMO a good deal and just to find one in my area.

Like Guth said: very happy with the Bike, the Deal & the Dealer!
 
Thought I'd share my experience hitting dealers today. I visited three dealerships around Los Angeles County and after having read this thread, I was surprised at how high the OTD prices were at all of them. Not a single one started out at less than $12.5k.

I negotiated pretty hard with all of them but was only able to get 2 of them down to just below $11.2K...beyond what I'm willing to pay for this bike. What seems to be driving up the cost are their bloated freight and assembly fees. The freight fee at each dealer was over $700 and the assembly fee was over $400. They all claimed it's because we're in California and they have to do special things and use real mechanics blah blah blah. It seems ridiculous to me. I pressed the last dealer on these added costs and told him for $10.5k OTD, I'd write him a check on the spot. He wouldn't budge and I'm not considering anything over $11k OTD.

Thanks to everyone whose been posting their experiences here. It was really helpful in establishing a budget I'd be happy with and making sure I don't spend more than I need to, even if I REALLY want it. I'll keep looking and will check out some bonnies as well.
 
Joola, Is your sales tax around 9%? I'm at 9.25% up here in San Mateo county, so 10K list plus tax puts me $75 shy of 11K. Now if they waive the shipping and assembly/set-up charges, there's just some dinky state fees and registration, so that puts me at 11.1 to 11.2 OTD. I think, like cars, we can't buy out of state and register them here - is that your understanding?
 
Rolls_imp said:
Joola, Is your sales tax around 9%? I'm at 9.25% up here in San Mateo county, so 10K list plus tax puts me $75 shy of 11K. Now if they waive the shipping and assembly/set-up charges, there's just some dinky state fees and registration, so that puts me at 11.1 to 11.2 OTD. I think, like cars, we can't buy out of state and register them here - is that your understanding?
Sales tax in LA County is 9% so I'm at $10,899 (MSRP + tax). Of course you have to pay tax on top of their inflated freight and assembly fee so that's what's killin' me. I saw another member here purchase one in LA for $11k. I'd be interested to know what owners in other parts of the state are able to get.

If life was perfect, they'd take $500 off the list price and only charge the ~$350 freight fee that Honda bills them. I'd be ~$10,886 after registration fees.

Rolls_imp said:
Joola, Is your sales tax around 9%? I'm at 9.25% up here in San Mateo county, so 10K list plus tax puts me $75 shy of 11K. Now if they waive the shipping and assembly/set-up charges, there's just some dinky state fees and registration, so that puts me at 11.1 to 11.2 OTD. I think, like cars, we can't buy out of state and register them here - is that your understanding?
You can't buy a new vehicle out of state and register it in Cali unless it has a 50 state emissions label (there are other exceptions but they don't apply here). The CB1100 has a California specific model. The rest of the country gets CB1100s with 49 state emission labels
 
No test rides here either.
The Honda dealer also carries BMW and Triumph. He has demo bikes for those lines. Couple years ago he asked me would I mind taking a 1200GS out for the day to put some demo miles on it. I grudgingly agreed to do it-270 miles, just trying to help him out!
We talked about test riding the CB 1100, he noted that Honda doesn't have a demo program per se. The dealer is on his own to decide if a bike should be a demo and get miles put on it. He does have a Goldwing as a demo, but they sell many more of them than they do 1100's.
When I sell my V strom and am ready for the 1100 he said I could take it out for 10 miles or so. The one on the floor has 4 miles on it.
Two more are due in by the end of the month. I'm sure both will be red.[/i]
 
At my dealer Sunrise Honda here in Arkansas they have a whole row of bikes all gassed and ready to go for test rides. Just have to hae mc endorsement on your license.
They only had 1 CB11 in stock. He told me I have 1 of only 3 or 4 in the state.
 
Joola, Im also in the Los Angeles area and ran into the similar situation with my local dealers. I made what I thought was a great offer (11K OTD for standard model) and I was willing to up it by a Franklin, but they wouldn't budge, blink or smile. I tried all my usually successful techniques (i.e. feigning disinterest, "like it/but dont really need this bike", "other bikes i'm intereted in"....etc----I could have won an Academy Award) and I casually walked out the door to wait patiently for the "come back" call that never came.
I am wondering what you ended up paying "OTD" and for what model (ABS/Standard). I am suspecting that the LA dealers communicate with each other about the CB and that prices will remain high for the few they have. Even if they hold on to them longer than they wanted to.
 
MrFerley,

Sorry to hear you're struggling with the local dealers as I was. I was able to get 11K OTD (standard model) from a dealer in Inglewood. He removed all of the freight and assembly fees so it was something like $9,950 + tax and DMV fees.

Just keep trying and maybe you'll get lucky like I did.
 
As with many things in life, it's fairly obvious that in general, pricing is going to be dependent upon many things including geography, dealer size, etc..
 
Guth_imp said:
As with many things in life, it's fairly obvious that in general, pricing is going to be dependent upon many things including geography, dealer size, etc..
Of course your’e right Guth. I bought my bike the first week of April. I think the local dealers were still trying to find their price point and I paid a slight premium for being amongst the first owners in my area. I’m just going to enjoy this great bike and forget that I gave up a future farkle (Moriwaki sliders) in order to have the pleasure of smiling/riding sooner than others.
 
None to be found, mostly, in my area (southeast PA, DE, NJ). I found one, on "sale" for about $9,645. Add all the usual back in it came to something like $10,300 OTD. Non ABS.

> Like Guth said: very happy with the Bike, the Deal & the Dealer!

+1
 
Gentlemen,

When the CB1100 first came out I went to see one at GoAZ Motorcycles in Scottsdale. The best deal they were willing to make for a non-ABS model was $13,000 OTD. What a joke. So I called Western Honda, also in Scottsdale and they sold me one for $10,100 OTD and that included Arizona's 9.5% sales tax and $300 license plates. A $2900 difference on the same bike in the same city for a $9999 bike. Get on the Internet and shop around.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

When the CB1100 first came out I went to see one at GoAZ Motorcycles in Scottsdale. The best deal they were willing to make for a non-ABS model was $13,000 OTD. What a joke. So I called Western Honda, also in Scottsdale and they sold me one for $10,100 OTD and that included Arizona's 9.5% sales tax and $300 license plates. A $2900 difference on the same bike in the same city for a $9999 bike. Get on the Internet and shop around.

Chip
WOW... That says it all Chip! Got to shop around!
 
I drove 60 miles and saved at least $1300. Two dealers close to me would not come off MSRP so away I went.
 
I got my bike form Dreyer Honda in Indy, which is the oldest US dealership. I had them put a hold on the first one back in November and we worked out the value for my trade then as well, but at the time the CB1100 release date was expected for the last week of November. Fast forward to the end of March and I get a call that their shipment of CBs had arrived (2 of them) and within the hour I was at the dealership. I had no chance for a test ride since neither had been prepped yet. While I was waiting we did the paperwork and I managed to get another $500 off or value for my trade. The only dealer fee was freight which is the $495 they have on all new bikes, no other charges. 2 days before I found out about the CB1100 I nearly bought a new Triumph America, and even though the list price was nearly $800 less, it would have cost me roughly $1500 more had I gone through with it since the Triumph dealer will not budge on price and offered a pitiful amount on my trade.

A few weeks later I stopped by the dealer for my first service and found out the 2nd CB1100 was bought by Vance & Hines whose shop is just a few miles from there. I stopped by again this last Friday and they had a CB1100 with a hold tag on it and when I was going to leave a customer was about to take it for a test ride. Timing could not have been better for the salesman.
 
Back
Top