Tents

zippooriginal_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
My main consideration is to stay dry during any kind of rainstorm.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
 
On my motorbike trips I use a tunnel tent called 'Tatonka Alaska'. It is a 2 room tent with enough space for my luggage, rain- and stormproofed, but not cheap and you can open all sides to have a nice airflow in hot weather.

The area where you sleep is totally surrounded with a mosquito net. If you are used to it, it's not hard to build it up and rebuild it. You can even use it for longer stands than only for one night at one place.

I checked out 2 other tents in years before, but this one convinces me, no matter where and under which conditions I camped and I had trips with lots of rain.....

https://www.tatonka.com/de/Zelte-Tarps-2-Personen-Zelte-Alaska-2235-PU/2455

Wisedrum
 
very nice looking tent Wisedrum , they have come a long way since i was a kid and used them. I would think since the OP lives in NM he will want one snakes and scorpions can not crawl in at night for sure.

short tent story - when in the boy scouts i did not use any tent pegs one night and got up in the night to - "go" .
when i came back my tent was gone with all my cloths and was just in my undies . now freezing i went to a friends tent who let me in and had a spare blanket. the next morning we found my tent that had blown over a cliff into Perdido Bay . " tent pegs matter "
 
zippooriginal_imp said:
I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
My main consideration is to stay dry during any kind of rainstorm.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.
 
use2b_imp said:
very nice looking tent Wisedrum , they have come a long way since i was a kid and used them. I would think since the OP lives in NM he will want one snakes and scorpions can not crawl in at night for sure.

short tent story - when in the boy scouts i did not use any tent pegs one night and got up in the night to - "go" .
when i came back my tent was gone with all my cloths and was just in my undies . now freezing i went to a friends tent who let me in and had a spare blanket. the next morning we found my tent that had blown over a cliff into Perdido Bay . " tent pegs matter "
I bet your friend was a little surprised at first when you started crawling into his tent in your underwear! :D
 
Blockhead_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
very nice looking tent Wisedrum , they have come a long way since i was a kid and used them. I would think since the OP lives in NM he will want one snakes and scorpions can not crawl in at night for sure.

short tent story - when in the boy scouts i did not use any tent pegs one night and got up in the night to - "go" .
when i came back my tent was gone with all my cloths and was just in my undies . now freezing i went to a friends tent who let me in and had a spare blanket. the next morning we found my tent that had blown over a cliff into Perdido Bay . " tent pegs matter "
I bet your friend was a little surprised at first when you started crawling into his tent in your underwear! :D
'Surprised' is such a useful word if one aims for ambiguity, don't you think? Were you thinking use2be's friend was pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
very nice looking tent Wisedrum , they have come a long way since i was a kid and used them. I would think since the OP lives in NM he will want one snakes and scorpions can not crawl in at night for sure.

short tent story - when in the boy scouts i did not use any tent pegs one night and got up in the night to - "go" .
when i came back my tent was gone with all my cloths and was just in my undies . now freezing i went to a friends tent who let me in and had a spare blanket. the next morning we found my tent that had blown over a cliff into Perdido Bay . " tent pegs matter "
I bet your friend was a little surprised at first when you started crawling into his tent in your underwear! :D
'Surprised' is such a useful word if one aims for ambiguity, don't you think? Were you thinking use2be's friend was pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised?
'Surprised' is such a useful word if one aims for ambiguity, don't you think? Were you thinking use2be's friend was pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised?
Umm, I’m not sure Cormanus. :dodgy:

However, the visual I get of some of my burly friends trying to enter my tent in the middle of the night wearing only their ‘tighty whiteys’ is funny. Can only imagine what the look on my face would be...:rofl:
 
I suppose, in the context of use2be's story, it's safe to assume the person in the tent was a scout not a guide. So, yes, they may well have been apprehensive at the sight of use2be in his 'tighty whiteys' (great expression that). On the other hand, I'm reminded of Tom Lehrer's wonderful song about the scouts, Be Prepared, in which he sings about an encounter:

"Don't be nervous,
Don't be flustered,
Don't be scared.
Be prepared"
 
Everything you see to the left fits inside my duffel bag,
Plus, I have a set of walking around clothes, my toiletries, and a small jet boil for heating up water for my morning coffee and oatmeal. That's all the cooking I care to do when I tour.

8c835cc798b98e0f44feb9ff8cc24a01.jpg


The tent is a 2 person size,by L.L.Bean callled the Microlight Tent

It packs down very small and is light for hiking.
Under the top rain cover, it's fully meshed for getting that air flowing through the tent during summer use.
0caa16026f804615a5db8ef92e3cb9fc.jpg


Here's a quick overview of the tent
https://www.backpacker.com/gear/gear-review-l-l-bean-microlight-2-tent
 
zippooriginal_imp said:
I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
My main consideration is to stay dry during any kind of rainstorm.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
If you're talking about serious rainstorms, I can recommend the Tatonka Sherpa Dome. I've had it for the last 15 years an the tent has performed very well in any kind of weather. It has space for three or two plus bags, and a vestibule. Folded, fits a 40 liter sidecase with some room to spare. It is just a bit tricky setting up, but I hear the new version has continuous sleeves fot the rods so setup should take under 5 mins...

__________________________

Reporting from Boca de Camarioca, Cuba

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
Riding in the rain is not particularly fun, but camping in it is miserable lol.

here's a good website for guys who like to camp on motorcycles run by a great fellow from the ST forum

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/forum.php
I agree ferret.
In the 90's into the early 20's I did some tent camping on bike trips with a pop-up dome tent, but if the weather was closing in I always had funds on hand for a motel :D
 
Hammocks and tarps for me though I admit to preferring hotels with free breakfast the past few decades.

My wifes idea of a night under the stars involves 5 star hotels though she will consider 4stars if the restaurant is good.
 
Thread starter
Banned_imp said:
zippooriginal_imp said:
I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
My main consideration is to stay dry during any kind of rainstorm.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.
Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.

Since I camp alone a 2 man tent is sufficient for me and gear. Price around $250.
 
zippooriginal_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
zippooriginal_imp said:
I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
My main consideration is to stay dry during any kind of rainstorm.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.
Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.

Since I camp alone a 2 man tent is sufficient for me and gear. Price around $250.
Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.

Since I camp alone a 2 man tent is sufficient for me and gear. Price around $250.
Here is the updated version of the tent I have been using since 1997:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5058-188/Elixir-2-Tent

I have never gotten wet in it, we got caught in a freak storm in Green River, UT in '08 that my wife thought was going to kill us -dry as a bone.

I would recommend a dome tent over a tunnel tent. Dome tents are free standing in case of hard ground where you can't drive pegs in (happens).
 
My first priority for a tent is like yours. Stay dry!

For the last seven seasons I've been using a Coleman Hooligan 2 for both plane and motorcycle camping. It's a 2 person tent with a relatively large footprint, so there's plenty of room for gear.

It's a basic single pole tent, so you do have to stake the 4 corners to set it up (i.e. it's not a standalone tent). It sets up in about 5 min.

For weather protection it has a 4 inch, ripstop tub floor. The rain fly comes down below the upper edge of the floor, making it virtually rain proof. I haven't gotten wet, even in torrential downpours.

The tent itself is all mesh, with the rain fly providing weather protection. As such, there is plenty of ventilation.

They retail for about $50.

Amazon.com: Coleman Hooligan Backpacking Tent, 2/3/4 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent, Includes Full Rainfly, Storage Pocket, Carry Bag and 10 Minute Setup : Sports & Outdoors
 
Back
Top