Tea and a Honda

ivanb_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Here are some thoughts on the CB1100:

It has been said that to become a cultured person one should study the Japanese tea ceremony. Nothing is allowed to be rushed, and there are no shortcuts. The tea ceremony creates a sense of tranquility and peace, and is best described by the Japanese idiom, Ichi-go ichi-e, literally “one time, one meeting”. The term has several meanings. “One chance in a lifetime” is one.

Ichi-go ichi-e applies not just to people that one will never meet again, but to those we see regularly. No encounter can ever be repeated. Each moment in our lives is unique and special.

I have never been to Japan, and yet the country has always held my fascination. Ichi-go ichi-e and the country’s passion for precision captures the essence of its culture and carries over into many of its products.

My 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX motorcycle is one. It is an extraordinary piece of Japanese technology. No other motorcycle has roused in me so consistently that most alluring and ephemeral of experiences, the sheer joy one feels of simply riding a motorcycle. I think all committed riders know this feeling.

I have owned ten motorcycles since I was a teenager and ridden countless others. I loved them all, but none instilled that sense of joy more consistently and more often than the CB1100.

I wanted to make modifications when I bought it, but after reading several interviews with the design and engineering teams, I changed my mind. The bike was built around a single concept: to generate a feeling of peace and enjoyment at 3,000 rpm while travelling at 100 km/h, the speed limit in Japan.

Normally, a motorcycle is designed for maximum performance. The CB1100 was built to other standards: reliability, ease of use, functionality, comfort, and the creation of a sense of calmness in the rider. The engine was deliberately detuned to produce power at lower engine revolutions, giving a better ride overall.

In addition, the Honda engineers had spent countless hours dialing in the performance that they felt was optimum. I, on the other hand, had wanted to make changes with minimal experience. I decided to wait and see. Over time, I found that Honda had got it right. Although I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin, added LED braking flashers, and Beemer Buddy grips, I kept it stock.

Performance is always an issue in the motorcycle world. I have had several policemen roll up beside me and ask if the bike is underpowered. I usually shrug because the CB is, and it isn’t. It depends on one’s riding style. Normally, I like to ride with the rpms at or below 3,000. The bike is more comfortable there, but if I have to split lanes on the freeway, or travel quickly through LA traffic, I go into what I call mode 2. I keep the revs above 3,500 where there is more than enough power available. The machine then has two personalities, with the default being the more relaxed version, the one I enjoy the most.

The CB1100 has surprised me. I love to ride it. I will do errands at any time of the day, but the most telling sign of the joy I feel riding it is that I always want to take the long way home.

Ichi-go ichi-e is a concept I embrace. “Treasure every encounter, for it will never recur.” It is wonderfully appropriate, not just in riding motorcycles, but as a way of living.
 
Thanks for the wonderful analogy and comments. Welcome to the forum. :)

Also --- After you have been here for awhile, you will know why I assumed by the title of this post that TheFerret was making another ride report. :)
 
I think my CB1100 even says "ichi-go ichi-e" whenever I press the starter. Listen close next time you start yours, and I think you'll see what I mean. :)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks for the wonderful analogy and comments. Welcome to the forum. :)

Also --- After you have been here for awhile, you will know why I assumed by the title of this post that TheFerret was making another ride report. :)
I know what you mean. I've lurked on this forum for quite some time. It would be appropriate for the Ferret.
LongRanger_imp said:
Ivan, great writing. Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine anyone here would disagree with your observations.
I wrote this for my blog where motorcycle riders are likely in the minority. I didn't get into the more granular details as a result. My ride before the CB was a CBRXX. I was itching to re-flash the ECU but refrained. I also added SW-Motech bags which meant deploying the turn signals below the tail light. I like the look. I did see a picture of the 2018 CB1100 RS in gray on this site which had me wondering but I like the 2014. I bought the last new one that was available in the US. It was the 14th off the production line. First in Last out I suppose.
 
ivanb_imp said:
Here are some thoughts on the CB1100:

It has been said that to become a cultured person one should study the Japanese tea ceremony. Nothing is allowed to be rushed, and there are no shortcuts. The tea ceremony creates a sense of tranquility and peace, and is best described by the Japanese idiom, Ichi-go ichi-e, literally “one time, one meeting”. The term has several meanings. “One chance in a lifetime” is one.

Ichi-go ichi-e applies not just to people that one will never meet again, but to those we see regularly. No encounter can ever be repeated. Each moment in our lives is unique and special.

I have never been to Japan, and yet the country has always held my fascination. Ichi-go ichi-e and the country’s passion for precision captures the essence of its culture and carries over into many of its products.

My 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX motorcycle is one. It is an extraordinary piece of Japanese technology. No other motorcycle has roused in me so consistently that most alluring and ephemeral of experiences, the sheer joy one feels of simply riding a motorcycle. I think all committed riders know this feeling.

I have owned ten motorcycles since I was a teenager and ridden countless others. I loved them all, but none instilled that sense of joy more consistently and more often than the CB1100.

I wanted to make modifications when I bought it, but after reading several interviews with the design and engineering teams, I changed my mind. The bike was built around a single concept: to generate a feeling of peace and enjoyment at 3,000 rpm while travelling at 100 km/h, the speed limit in Japan.

Normally, a motorcycle is designed for maximum performance. The CB1100 was built to other standards: reliability, ease of use, functionality, comfort, and the creation of a sense of calmness in the rider. The engine was deliberately detuned to produce power at lower engine revolutions, giving a better ride overall.

In addition, the Honda engineers had spent countless hours dialing in the performance that they felt was optimum. I, on the other hand, had wanted to make changes with minimal experience. I decided to wait and see. Over time, I found that Honda had got it right. Although I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin, added LED braking flashers, and Beemer Buddy grips, I kept it stock.

Performance is always an issue in the motorcycle world. I have had several policemen roll up beside me and ask if the bike is underpowered. I usually shrug because the CB is, and it isn’t. It depends on one’s riding style. Normally, I like to ride with the rpms at or below 3,000. The bike is more comfortable there, but if I have to split lanes on the freeway, or travel quickly through LA traffic, I go into what I call mode 2. I keep the revs above 3,500 where there is more than enough power available. The machine then has two personalities, with the default being the more relaxed version, the one I enjoy the most.

The CB1100 has surprised me. I love to ride it. I will do errands at any time of the day, but the most telling sign of the joy I feel riding it is that I always want to take the long way home.

Ichi-go ichi-e is a concept I embrace. “Treasure every encounter, for it will never recur.” It is wonderfully appropriate, not just in riding motorcycles, but as a way of living.
You are the quintessential CB1100 forum member! :beerchug:

How does the Forum love thee? Let my count the ways:

1. Thread title combines genteel, cultured living with a classic name in motorcycles.:thumbsup:

2. A commentary on Japanese tradition suggests a keen capacity for refinement in every area of human endeavor.:thumbsup:

[Let me add here that the Mitsubishi A6M Zero aircraft is said to be one of the most beautiful aircraft of its type in the world, with flying characteristics to match. One engineer commented that the Zero "made excellent use of the French curve." In my interview with air racing champion and movie pilot Steve Hinton, he commented that the Zero had absolutely superior flight characteristics and was a joy to fly: light, agile, quick, neutral, and dependable.

Well, that is, until a .50 caliber round penetrates the non self-sealing fuel tank and lights the thing up like a "Zippo" cigarette lighter, which is just what they were called by the Yanks in World War II. But a great aircraft, nonetheless, in terms of pure NACA engineering.]

3. An introduction of Eastern thought and its attendant mysticism, which always imbues the subject with an ineffable quality of the spiritual.:thumbsup:

4. Ownership of enough bikes to know what it's all about, but not enough to be ostentatious.:thumbsup:

5. Keeping the RPMs down below 4000 unless absolutely necessary.:thumbsup:

6. An analytical mind with little restraint with respect to metaphorical and philosophical associations.:thumbsup:

7. A clearly romantic nature, which counts the CB1100 as an object of desire and fulfillment.:thumbsup:

8. An obvious facility for wordplay that is well beyond the average.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum!!!:hello:
 
I seen the headline and I thought this was a The ferret thread.
 
Thread starter
Thank you. What an extraordinary posting. It is an ideal that I aspire to. Judging from the posts I’ve read and the demographic of the members, what you have written likely applies to all of us in one way or another. As I’ve aged, I’ve dialed back my risk quotient, and the CB and I are comfortable in the current regime. That is not to say I won’t occasionally explore the triple digits, but thinking about the last time I checked the tire pressure and other similar thoughts usually keeps those wild moments fairly brief. By the way, tire pressure and handling performance are more pronounced with the CB than most other bikes I have ridden. A few psi makes a difference. It is something to know. The Zero was an extraordinary aircraft. Even more so were the Japanese pilots prior to the outbreak of hostilities. To fly one, you had to be able to see a star in daylight. The training and proficiency were at levels typical of the Japanese love of extremes. As the war progressed, pilot training and capabilities degraded due to the non self-sealing fuel tanks you mentioned as the old guard expired. The final outcome was due to disproportionate asset piles. If you are giving as good as you get, in the end, the larger pile always wins.
 
ivanb_imp said:
Thank you. What an extraordinary posting. It is an ideal that I aspire to. Judging from the posts I’ve read and the demographic of the members, what you have written likely applies to all of us in one way or another. As I’ve aged, I’ve dialed back my risk quotient, and the CB and I are comfortable in the current regime. That is not to say I won’t occasionally explore the triple digits, but thinking about the last time I checked the tire pressure and other similar thoughts usually keeps those wild moments fairly brief. By the way, tire pressure and handling performance are more pronounced with the CB than most other bikes I have ridden. A few psi makes a difference. It is something to know. The Zero was an extraordinary aircraft. Even more so were the Japanese pilots prior to the outbreak of hostilities. To fly one, you had to be able to see a star in daylight. The training and proficiency were at levels typical of the Japanese love of extremes. As the war progressed, pilot training and capabilities degraded due to the non self-sealing fuel tanks you mentioned as the old guard expired. The final outcome was due to disproportionate asset piles. If you are giving as good as you get, in the end, the larger pile always wins.
Good post; let's not forget the F6F Hellcat and P-38 Lightning, the Thach weave, and just the general cussedness of American pilots. Always looking for a fight.

a7b2f9e3910763b897c49b424caf6388.jpg


Dick Bong, 40 credits...and killed testing Lockheed P-80 jets in Burbank! Go figure.

Anyway, yep, the bike is really cool, and pretty responsive to changes. You have got yourself a very nice machine there!
 
Ahh.. Dick Bong (Although I think he went by "Ira"). From Wisconsin. In the 50s, The US was going to build a strategic defense air base in southern Wisconsin to serve Chicago and Milwaukee. There's still remnants of a runway there and some other structures, but it was decided to move things to Strategic Air Command and the Bong Air Force base eventually became the Bong Recreation Area -- My favorite of ALL recreation areas and the site of more state park sign thefts (presumably by college students) than any other state park in the U.S.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Ahh.. Dick Bong (Although I think he went by "Ira"). From Wisconsin. In the 50s, The US was going to build a strategic defense air base in southern Wisconsin to serve Chicago and Milwaukee. There's still remnants of a runway there and some other structures, but it was decided to move things to Strategic Air Command and the Bong Air Force base eventually became the Bong Recreation Area -- My favorite of ALL recreation areas and the site of more state park sign thefts (presumably by college students) than any other state park in the U.S.
Did not know about the Recreation Area but the thefts of the signs are no surprise!
 
They eventually changed all the signage in the area to "Richard Bong Recreational Area". I think they added the first name to deter the thefts and left out his middle initial for the same reason. Heck, I'd steal a sign that has "I Bong" in it. LOL
 
Ichi-go ichi-e

I like it. So cerebral those Japanese. Love their culture. Love seeing pictures of their country, and archirecture. And love riding the motorcycles they build.

Ichi-go ichi-e.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
They eventually changed all the signage in the area to "Richard Bong Recreational Area". I think they added the first name to deter the thefts and left out his middle initial for the same reason. Heck, I'd steal a sign that has "I Bong" in it. LOL
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
The ferret_imp said:
Ichi-go ichi-e

I like it. So cerebral those Japanese. Love their culture. Love seeing pictures of their country, and archirecture. And love riding the motorcycles they build.

Ichi-go ichi-e.
Lol, other than the migraine headache I got from a stay in Tokyo (it was either the pudding-thick smog or the endless diet of Udon and coffee drinks, not sure which), I did enjoy my brief week in Nippon. Toured around with some Asian acquaintances, went to the temples in Kyoto and elsewhere.

Also visited "Motorcycle Row" in Shinjuku, took the subway, ate endless amounts of shaved ice and fermented who-knows what at underground malls, which are everywhere.

Tons of motorcycles and scooters but very few big bikes. Tokyo was lit up like a Christmas tree gone crazy, looked like "Blade Runner" cubed.

Learning to use the "toilet" was an experience. They called it the "Asian squat" and you better be flat-footed or expect some extra hygienic effort.

Never goin' back again, though.
 
I like the concept of Ichi-go Ichi-e. I have always loved Japanese vehicles, bikes and cars. They have a vibe to them that I find comforting. Some insight into the culture and mindset of the engineers and designers who made them connects the dots for me. Good post.
 
ivanb_imp said:
Thank you. What an extraordinary posting. It is an ideal that I aspire to. Judging from the posts I’ve read and the demographic of the members, what you have written likely applies to all of us in one way or another. As I’ve aged, I’ve dialed back my risk quotient, and the CB and I are comfortable in the current regime. That is not to say I won’t occasionally explore the triple digits, but thinking about the last time I checked the tire pressure and other similar thoughts usually keeps those wild moments fairly brief. By the way, tire pressure and handling performance are more pronounced with the CB than most other bikes I have ridden. A few psi makes a difference. It is something to know. The Zero was an extraordinary aircraft. Even more so were the Japanese pilots prior to the outbreak of hostilities. To fly one, you had to be able to see a star in daylight. The training and proficiency were at levels typical of the Japanese love of extremes. As the war progressed, pilot training and capabilities degraded due to the non self-sealing fuel tanks you mentioned as the old guard expired. The final outcome was due to disproportionate asset piles. If you are giving as good as you get, in the end, the larger pile always wins.
"The Wind Rises(Kaze Tachinu)", an animation film by Hayao Miyazaki's Ghibli Studios is based on the life of the Japanese aviation engineer Jiro Horikoshi (Hideaki Anno), whose career includes the creation of the A6M World War II fighter plane. Quite an emotional film to watch.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top