Tank Pad

Capo

Road warrior
Thread starter
Does anyone have the Honda (or aftermarket) tank protection pad installed? If so, can you provide a photo? I'm not necessarily a fan of them, but I want to avoid the jacket scratches on the tank that are so common...the CB tank is too beautiful to mark up! Greatly appreciate any photos.
 
Capo_imp said:
Does anyone have the Honda (or aftermarket) tank protection pad installed? If so, can you provide a photo? I'm not necessarily a fan of them, but I want to avoid the jacket scratches on the tank that are so common...the CB tank is too beautiful to mark up! Greatly appreciate any photos.
Have a look at these:- Basically clear film but already cut to shape / size, and I'm very happy with the result! http://thetankslapper.biz/osc/index.php?cPath=25_1229
 
One more option: using a spray-on plastic film called 3M Paint Defender.

It's more effort to use than applying a pre-cut piece of film. But it has the advantage of covering the corners of the tank where the pre-cut film doesn't reach, and which could still be scuffed. Pros and cons to either approach.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

How to apply 3M Paint Defender Spray
 
Thread starter
All great advice, and much appreciated. I decided to go with the Honda one, ordered and on the way.
 
Does anyone make tank pads for the side scallops where your legs contact the tank? Maybe from a similar pseudo carbon-fiber material as the standard Honda tank pad? My forum searches have only turned up standard hour glass shaped tank pads or 3M type paint protection film.

I don't want anything as obtrusive as the Triumph style pads, but it would be nice to protect the paint from getting worn at leg contact areas, especially where the inner seam on my jeans rub on the paint.
 
Thread starter
I only have tips on how to put it on un-evenly. I ended up pulling it off and mounting a bit lower on the tank so that only the top 2 pieces show. I't enough to prevent scratches from the jacket.
 
Honda OEM tank pad

b3a613be4d8accf80820d01e2625799f.jpg
 
Maybe I can lay them out where I want and hold in place on one side with a light tape while I peel off the backing. I will need the spacing between the three to be obsessively perfect, unfortunately.
 
Honda tank pad is easy to apply. It is sandwiched between 2 oversized squares: a top clear plastic sheet and wax paper bottom. Peel off one end of the paper, position the pad on the tank, start applying and continue to peel the paper as you go. Then peel off the top plastic sheet. All 3 pieces are perfectly positioned. It's so easy even I can't screw it up.

About $30 from Mr T. with free shipping if you combine with another order.
 
I put mine on yesterday, position it where you want it, use masking tape on top and sides to mark the area, then once you pull off the paper on the sticky side you can lay it right between your masking tape.It is small but any bigger would'nt work out too good...:biker:
 
i went to a tint shop and had them apply the clear 3M paint protector. you can kinda see the outline in this pic. its on the front of the tank, and covers the entire side (where your legs would rub).

If you're near CLT, NC check out Gordon at SunStoppers on Independence...he's the MAN. And since he made template for my bike he said he'd give anyone w/ a CB a killer deal.



trying to get a better pic where you can see it, but he did such a good job its pretty much invisible

 
Back
Top