Tall Windshield

Nortoon_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I searched through the windshield threads, but could not find a reference to this one.


After a 565 kilometer/350 mile day ride today, I really want a something to break the wind and spare me the constant barrage of bugs. I am 6'2" tall, so I don't think the stylish headlight fairing is going to be sufficient.

Does anyone know who's CB this is or what shield they are using?
 
I'm using Givi Airflow AF49, its advantage is its heigh can be adjusted. And it is 4 points mounted so it's very durable, no shaky under high wind.

4474574e1725ca2e12d3f45fa68952eb.jpg
 
Where did you find the picture, Nortoon?
 
Nortoon_imp said:
I searched through the windshield threads, but could not find a reference to this one.


After a 565 kilometer/350 mile day ride today, I really want a something to break the wind and spare me the constant barrage of bugs. I am 6'2" tall, so I don't think the stylish headlight fairing is going to be sufficient.

Does anyone know who's CB this is or what shield they are using?
I can't answer either of your questions, but, I've found the National Cycle PS 2 with a MRA X-Creen Touring Windscreen Spoiler attached is very effective in solving your problem. Sorry, no pic, my bike is currently in the shop for a valve clearance inspection.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Where did you find the picture, Nortoon?
I assume I copied it from this website when I was hoping to import the Deluxe model. The picture properties show I added to my screen savers on 24 Feb 2015.

It appears to be a 2014 American Deluxe model with a dealer's plate. The plate should be smaller, like the one in the garage. Perhaps one of our American members will recognise the state by the colours on the plate.
darkangel_imp said:
I'm using Givi Airflow AF49, its advantage is its heigh can be adjusted. And it is 4 points mounted so it's very durable, no shaky under high wind.

4474574e1725ca2e12d3f45fa68952eb.jpg
That looks interesting. It appears to be two pieces, the lower fixed and the upper adjustable for height.

Can the shield be adjusted for slope as well? The usual instructions for mounting a shield talk about matching the slope of the shield with the slope of the fork tubes.

I see you have a rear rack as well. It that the Honda accessory?
 
The first pic really looks like a national cycle street shield. It has the same attachment brackets on the handlebars as mine. It's ok, but I replaced mine with a Parabellum fairing and windshield for a little more protection and a better (imo) look.

I still have the old windshield, been thinking about selling it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Here the Parabellum fairing.
d3ddb97548646679ad8e63a3235f4f8c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
dwcurton_imp said:
The first pic really looks like a national cycle street shield. It has the same attachment brackets on the handlebars as mine. It's ok, but I replaced mine with a Parabellum fairing and windshield for a little more protection and a better (imo) look.

I still have the old windshield, been thinking about selling it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Here the Parabellum fairing.
d3ddb97548646679ad8e63a3235f4f8c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That is tall! How tall is that screen, and how tall are you?

I am 6'2" tall and would like to push the wind over my helmet instead of right at it.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
I searched through the windshield threads, but could not find a reference to this one.


After a 565 kilometer/350 mile day ride today, I really want a something to break the wind and spare me the constant barrage of bugs. I am 6'2" tall, so I don't think the stylish headlight fairing is going to be sufficient.

Does anyone know who's CB this is or what shield they are using?
I don't know who's CB that is, but I can tell you that the shield is a National Cycle Street Shield EX. The Ferret has a substantially cut down version of that shield on his DLX.

The Street Shield falls in between the smaller Deflector DX and the larger Plexistar 2. I use the small Deflector in the summer months (it gets really hot around here). For full coverage in winter and on long road trips I use the taller, wider Plexistar 2. Both have the same mounting hardware, so swapping is easy.

Here's my Plexistar 2 :

180570312c36af239d80ba54aa20ff70.jpeg
 
Yeah, at 6-2 you won't like the national cycle street shield. That hits me at nose level. I'm 5-11 and I like to sit straight up in the saddle. That's the Parabellum Scout Fairing with the 20" windshield. That puts airflow right at the top of my helmet, right at visor level. I do a lot of 80 mph highway riding on my daily commute and I like the extra protection. This is the only thing I've found after a year of searching that fits the bill. They also have a very tall plain windshield too, but I like the fairing look.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 


Nortoon,

The National Cycle Street Shield EX only does what you are wanting with the addition of the MRA X-creen Tour. It also makes the the EX much quieter and significantly reduces buffeting.

In retrospect, however, now that I have seen the Parabellum, I kind of like that look...

Weather permitting, I'll be in Milton on the 24th, and you can see this setup in person.
 
dwcurton_imp said:
The first pic really looks like a national cycle street shield. It has the same attachment brackets on the handlebars as mine. It's ok, but I replaced mine with a Parabellum fairing and windshield for a little more protection and a better (imo) look.

I still have the old windshield, been thinking about selling it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Here the Parabellum fairing.
d3ddb97548646679ad8e63a3235f4f8c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey DW, what seat is that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Daytona Cozy. I picked it up second hand off of eBay. Really like it. Lots better than stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
dwcurton_imp said:
The first pic really looks like a national cycle street shield. It has the same attachment brackets on the handlebars as mine. It's ok, but I replaced mine with a Parabellum fairing and windshield for a little more protection and a better (imo) look.

I still have the old windshield, been thinking about selling it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Here the Parabellum fairing.
d3ddb97548646679ad8e63a3235f4f8c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Did you have to move the front signal lights or modify the fairing for them?

I bought the tall Parabellum windscreen without the fairing. It appears that it will not fit around the signal lights on my 2017 CB1100 EX as they are mounted right behind the headlight bolts.

The earlier models appear to have the signal lights mounted lower under the headlight brackets, as shown in the picture. Or they have been relocated to make the windshield fit.

 
I didn't have to modify anything for lights or signals. I wasn't too happy with the upper mounts rubbing on the clutch and brake cables. I made several attempts at adjusting everything and then finally wrapped both cables with some protective wrap. I haven't noticed the wrap fraying but I still check every couple of days. But no issues with the turn signals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
I wonder whether any part of the assembly in the earlier models would help, Nortoon?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I wonder whether any part of the assembly in the earlier models would help, Nortoon?
I look through the parts lists and found the front signal lights on earlier models. But it was unclear in the headlight section what the signal lights were fastened to.

I have a couple of ideas. Café racers have headlight brackets that fit on the fork tubes. I could mount the signal lights on them.

The C-clamps used in chain link fencing may also work.

This just like the good old days. Buy an aftermarket part and you have to buy or make two others parts to make it fit. :dodgy:
 
Back
Top