tall rider - windscreen

rozbabbo1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
morning, to all the taller riders out there...I have been looking at simple windscreens for my 2014 and my experience with riding other bikes with windscreens is my height causes me to become a bobble head on the road as my helmet is in the wind stream.

anyone 6ft or taller have any suggestions or experience with the windscreens on the 1100 that can shed some light on how the wind affects them on the highway or 40+ mph? I see that a lot of bikes on here have them but I don't see much mention of the affect it has on the rider.

much appreciated.

oh yeah...very sad my riding season is coming to an end...raining and 40's is not ideal...snow is a coming soon
 
I am 6 foot tall and use two separate screens. A small one for the summer and a large one for the late fall, winter, and early spring months. You can find pics and information about both in the link in my signature.
 
kennyw_imp said:
I am 6 foot tall and use two separate screens. A small one for the summer and a large one for the late fall, winter, and early spring months. You can find pics and information about both in the link in my signature.

Not seeing any links in your signature on the app. Does that only show up on the website?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
thanks Kenny...I think those windscreens are a bit too big for my liking. I was looking along the lines of the racer or café style...something a little more sporty. I def appreciate those options though. I bet they work fantastic for the long haul and when the weather breaks.

thanks again
 
I recently purchased a Road Comet II fairing off a forum member. It came with 2 different sizes of screen (interchangeable). The short screen moves wind blast to mid chest area which is an improvement when speeds are in the 70' 80's. The taller screen is maybe 3 to 4" taller with a wider lip that gets near vertical. I put it on 2 days ago. Looks...not as good, but moves the wind blast up considerably. It now falls at shoulders. It is much easier to ride comfortably at high speeds but moves wind blast noise into my helmet which is a negative. I don't notice the "bobblehead" phenomenon but that's me (i used to be 6' tall, shrinking with age).

Worth a shot. Makes the bike look much better in my opinion too. Not cheap though. I hawked the forum classified section for a year looking for one. Of course as soon as I bought one another showed up. Maybe still available?
 
That is the touring screen and is not available anymore.

Maybe if enough people ask Mr. T he can get Chic to make some more.
 
I used a National Cycle Plexifairing on a 1998 Nighthawk 750 and it worked extremely well. I think they have an application for the CB1100. The Plexifaring has built in lowers that extend below the headlight to deflect updraft turbulence. They also have a version without those lowers called the Plexistar and it also has an application for the CB1100.
 
I'm 6'6". Naked works best for my CB, plus it best suits the character of the bike. In my experience, adding anything only creates buffeting and wind noise. Hope you find what works best for you.
 
I am not tall but, because it was available locally and cheap ($100), I installed a Slip Streamer S-06 Spitfire (smoke). Had to place some felt dots between the instrument cluster and the shield but that adds another support point for the shield which is very stable. Wind goes into my face now which is ok since my Arai CT-Z helmet handles that well. Also great to flip the visor up when it’s hot around town.

 
chync_imp said:
kennyw_imp said:
I am 6 foot tall and use two separate screens. A small one for the summer and a large one for the late fall, winter, and early spring months. You can find pics and information about both in the link in my signature.

Not seeing any links in your signature on the app. Does that only show up on the website?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not seeing any links in your signature on the app. Does that only show up on the website?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk If you are using tapatalk, you have to show signatures. I have them turned off myself as well. The signatures are on by default on the normal website.
rozbabbo1100_imp said:
thanks Kenny...I think those windscreens are a bit too big for my liking. I was looking along the lines of the racer or café style...something a little more sporty. I def appreciate those options though. I bet they work fantastic for the long haul and when the weather breaks.

thanks again
I only have one large screen that I cut down and painted black. It works great for riding in the cold wet Seattle winters. I call it the BUS for big ugly screen.

The other one is an Emgo and is much smaller and matches the lines of the bike better. However, it is also universal so it requires trimming to make it work.

c9f5dc30f8f97d48e811207c577e0241.jpg
e362eed66d8f695f51b98aff8e0b6e88.jpg

If you want smaller than that, then you are looking for the Dart Flyscreen.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm 6'6". Naked works best for my CB, plus it best suits the character of the bike. In my experience, adding anything only creates buffeting and wind noise. Hope you find what works best for you.
Now that my CB is gone, I have to agree with LongRanger. I rode for the first season without a screen and it definitely was quieter and smoother. The only problem was that my face shield was plastered with bugs and riding long distances was tiring.



This is what what I eventually went with for the best protection with minimized buffeting and wind noise (National Cycle Street Shield with MRA X-creen Tour). Not pretty, but it kept my face shield clean ;)
 
Gumby, doesn’t a shield have to offer more than bug protection? It has to reduce buffeting without increasing noise or its no use. Every time I stop for fuel, I wash a shield-load of bugs away; if I had a wind shield, surely I’d be doing the same with a larger surface area.
 
It's funny, my brother hates bugs on his faceshield, and takes the opportunity to clean them off at every stop during the day. I wait until the end of the days ride to clean my faceshield at home.

I rarely clean them off my windshields, headlights, mirrors, etc. that's what rain is for lol
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Gumby, doesn’t a shield have to offer more than bug protection? It has to reduce buffeting without increasing noise or its no use. Every time I stop for fuel, I wash a shield-load of bugs away; if I had a wind shield, surely I’d be doing the same with a larger surface area.
Well, that was the problem with the CB, it required a lot of compromises, and eventually I had enough. None of my cruisers or sport touring bikes ever had such a problem with wind, buffeting and noise. With proper screen height/adjustment and the use of lowers I always sat in a quiet pocket and didn't need ear plugs. Maybe lowers on the CB could have been the answer, but what looks good on a cruiser would have looked goofy on the CB.

The National Cycle screen provided good wind protection but it was incredibly noisy and caused some buffeting. It didn't tire me out like a few hours without the screen did. The MRA X-creen Tour (Add-on) reduced the buffeting considerably, and some of the noise, but it was still worse than any other bike I have owned.
 
Back
Top