Tailbag: Kriega US-10 Drypack

Huladog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I wanted a small bag just to carry a few items on my rides like a water bottle, snacks, maybe a light rain jacket. Kept checking out different bags but didn't like a lot of the mounting systems until I took a closer look at the Kriega system of straps.

This is one of their smaller bags which suits my needs and they do have larger units plus you can piggy back small bags on the top of the larger bags.



When empty the bag has a low profile so its easy to swing your leg over the seat (I used to ride a BMW R1200RT and had to be careful not to kick the tops of the big saddlebags). Those silver alloy clips connect the bag to the mounting straps. The straps on the bag itself also have quick release buckles.



The adjustable mounting straps wrap around the conveniently located subframe under the CB1100 seat. You could also just connect the straps together and loop them under the seat.



The nice thing is that you can quickly detach the bag itself from the straps, leave the straps mounted and tuck them underneath the seat.



There are a bunch of less expensive tail or seat bags but their mounting systems of straps wrapped around passenger pegs, etc. didn't look too secure. The Kriega system seems robust as well as versatile.

To figure out more ways to use their bags go visit their site.

(Yes, that is a Staintune and if you get one you won't regret it.)

Aloha,
Huladog
 
When not using the pack, do you just tuck the straps over the fender and snap the seat over top of them? Those bags looks really nice. I like the mounting system more than plastic clips my Ogio bag has. I'm worried they won't last very long.
 
Very thoughtfully designed bag. Sort of a tidy, minimalist approach to baggage, which I like. Great post and pics, Huladog!
 
Thread starter
Joola_imp said:
When not using the pack, do you just tuck the straps over the fender and snap the seat over top of them? Those bags looks really nice. I like the mounting system more than plastic clips my Ogio bag has. I'm worried they won't last very long.
Yes, you can just flip the straps onto the fender under the seat without having to undo the straps. The straps are adjustable so you could wrap them around those bungie tie down spools by the seat if you wanted a wider base to secure the bag to.

The Kriega material is pretty heavy duty, more like the stuff they make inflatable life rafts out of then light nylon with a waterproof coating.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I just purchased a Kriega R25 backpack this past week. Very pricey stuff, but it is obvious that there was some serious thought behind the design and equally serious effort put into the execution of this product. The harness system is spectacular and the quality of the hardware and materials is all top notch. I've found that I prefer a backpack over the other available luggage options for my commuting needs, and the R25 fits the bill perfectly. If I wasn't commuting by bike and planning on using this pack on a daily basis, I'd save my money for some other, more fun, accessories (such as that Moriwaki slip-on megaphone exhaust). But I can tell that this will be money well spent. Good stuff.
 
Huladog_imp said:
I wanted a small bag just to carry a few items on my rides like a water bottle, snacks, maybe a light rain jacket. Kept checking out different bags but didn't like a lot of the mounting systems until I took a closer look at the Kriega system of straps.

This is one of their smaller bags which suits my needs and they do have larger units plus you can piggy back small bags on the top of the larger bags.



When empty the bag has a low profile so its easy to swing your leg over the seat (I used to ride a BMW R1200RT and had to be careful not to kick the tops of the big saddlebags). Those silver alloy clips connect the bag to the mounting straps. The straps on the bag itself also have quick release buckles.



The adjustable mounting straps wrap around the conveniently located subframe under the CB1100 seat. You could also just connect the straps together and loop them under the seat.



The nice thing is that you can quickly detach the bag itself from the straps, leave the straps mounted and tuck them underneath the seat.



There are a bunch of less expensive tail or seat bags but their mounting systems of straps wrapped around passenger pegs, etc. didn't look too secure. The Kriega system seems robust as well as versatile.

To figure out more ways to use their bags go visit their site.

(Yes, that is a Staintune and if you get one you won't regret it.)

Aloha,
Huladog

Huladog,

I just got my Staintune and I noticed something in your photo above. The tab that is welded to the top of your Staintune that bolts to the rear peg mount is suppose to go behind the rear peg brace and you have it in front of the peg brace. Rotate it so that it bolts to the rear of the brace and it will hide that tab and look better. Cheers bro.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Quote:Huladog,

I just got my Staintune and I noticed something in your photo above. The tab that is welded to the top of your Staintune that bolts to the rear peg mount is suppose to go behind the rear peg brace and you have it in front of the peg brace. Rotate it so that it bolts to the rear of the brace and it will hide that tab and look better. Cheers bro.

Chip
Hey, thanks for noticing that will go tweak the setup when I get home. The thing went together so easily I didn't even think about it.

Mahalo,
Huladog
 
ron1100_imp said:
Any thoughts on the Kriega US-20? Just wondering if it'd be too wide to take away from the lines.
fb84f0dcf572f8889b16da9a8a57e7fd.jpg


5-10-20
 
That US-20 probably wouldn't look nearly as clean on the bike as the 10, but then you're gaining twice the capacity which is sure nice when you need it.

Regarding Kriega products in general: I've been using my Kriega backpack over the past 2 1/2 years for my work commute and it's been a rock-solid piece of gear.
 
Well it's been 2.5 years since Ron asked the question, so probably he made up his mind since then! :)

But if it helps anyone else, I do have the US-20 and I think it's a perfect match with the bike. I use it almost daily and fits really nicely on the rear seat. When the bag is off the straps go under the seat, so there is nothing visible. I'll try to post some pictures if it is of help to anyone.

The quality of the bag is excellent.
 
alphonsus_imp said:
Well it's been 2.5 years since Ron asked the question, so probably he made up his mind since then! :)

But if it helps anyone else, I do have the US-20 and I think it's a perfect match with the bike. I use it almost daily and fits really nicely on the rear seat. When the bag is off the straps go under the seat, so there is nothing visible. I'll try to post some pictures if it is of help to anyone.

The quality of the bag is excellent.
Their products appear to be good quality... I too like the US-20 model and size, but my concern is being able to get my leg over with it mounted...
 
Guth_imp said:
That US-20 probably wouldn't look nearly as clean on the bike as the 10, but then you're gaining twice the capacity which is sure nice when you need it.

Regarding Kriega products in general: I've been using my Kriega backpack over the past 2 1/2 years for my work commute and it's been a rock-solid piece of gear.
that 20 looks almost twice the width of the 10.
And the 10 is displayed here with many pics.

Imo, if I get a drypack, I am gonna get the 5. Sleek and minimalistic, perhaps to strap onto my future Chic Design Trunk Seat....
 
Riko_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
That US-20 probably wouldn't look nearly as clean on the bike as the 10, but then you're gaining twice the capacity which is sure nice when you need it.

Regarding Kriega products in general: I've been using my Kriega backpack over the past 2 1/2 years for my work commute and it's been a rock-solid piece of gear.
that 20 looks almost twice the width of the 10.
And the 10 is displayed here with many pics.

Imo, if I get a drypack, I am gonna get the 5. Sleek and minimalistic, perhaps to strap onto my future Chic Design Trunk Seat....
I'd imagine that pretty much any type of tail pack is going to look a bit out of place on a bike with that cafe'd tail end.
 
I'll post up a pic with my US20 within a day or two. I've not been riding this week due to snow, but will get it done over the weekend. The US20, in my humble opinion, does not look neither too wide nor long on the bike - just right. That picture Riko posted makes it look huge, but it's really a clean look. Since these are roll bags, if you pack half to a 20, it'll basically shrink down to the size of a 10. I think if you get the 5 you'll end up with very little usability.

However I do agree with Guth that on top of a café seat it'd look weird. But if you keep the stock - just use it when taking the bag.
 
Ok, so as promised, a quick picture with the US-20 on the seat. This is with my phone so not the greatest quality.

faac5b189c6f82567504595a69143e22.jpg


08b56dd3e8bd784ed0226b28b71225e8.jpg


Unlike the OP in this thread, I use the buckles to attach to the bike (rather than the metal hooks), takes just a few seconds, and use the straps to tighten. When the bag is off, the buckles fold under the seat so you cannot see anything.

This morning (on this picture) I had my laptop, a sweater, waterproof pants, a cloth, some other bits and pieces - but it could fit a lot more as well. To be honest, before I installed my Fehling rear rack it was an easier fit, since you could slide the bag further back above the rear fender. So if you don't have a rear rack, or you have the OEM one with no grab handle, then it'll fit even better.

There's lots of info out there about the bag itself, so I'll just say I found it to be excellent quality and like it very much.
 
Aaight thx a lot! We got a picture of a 10 and a 20 on our bikes....could be I'll be buying a 5 in the future and if so I'll share a picture of that strapped on the bike as well.
 
Back
Top