Tail Tidy and Plate Relocation

jethrofelix_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all,
I've had my '14 CB1100 for about 9 months now. The only modifications I've done are taking off the Mickey Mouse mirrors and put on a bar end.
I've tried to love the protruding fin that is the taillight, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me. I've googled and found some, but what are your recommended tail tidy kits for this bike?
In addition, I've toyed with the idea of relocating the plate to a rear fender mounted on the back of the swingarm - kind of like how it is on some Vitpilens (see picture).
What say ye? Thanks!
cfaac6418843d373ecc3d70f28bd8632.jpg


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
IMO :looks terrible !
Yeah. I've gone back and forth with it. If it's relatively inexpensive and ready to convert back and forth, I think I'll try it out.
I'm hoping the tail tidy will have a spot for it though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey JFX: If you desire to move from the classic look the CB1100 is, then you will succeed.
That's all I'd like to change. I didn't like the mirrors as they just took up too much room in front.
As far as the big chrome fin jutting out from the the back, I could take it or leave it really, just wanted to see what's out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
If you like it that’s all that matters, but that look is one of the reasons I have a CB. I personally don’t like the rear fender swing arm thing that so many bikes have now.
 
Thread starter
Novice_imp said:
If you like it that’s all that matters, but that look is one of the reasons I have a CB. I personally don’t like the rear fender swing arm thing that so many bikes have now.
Thanks, I'm just wanting to explore my options. I was surprised to see how quick some were to voice their distaste for it.
I'm just trying to make mine a little different without going full blown cafe-racer style like how you see so often now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Desert viper_imp said:
How about a short rear fender and match it with a Lucas tail light....SAMURIDER.com
Yes, this more the route I'm looking to take. Big thanks to you Desert Viper!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
jethrofelix_imp said:
Novice_imp said:
If you like it that’s all that matters, but that look is one of the reasons I have a CB. I personally don’t like the rear fender swing arm thing that so many bikes have now.
Thanks, I'm just wanting to explore my options. I was surprised to see how quick some were to voice their distaste for it.
I'm just trying to make mine a little different without going full blown cafe-racer style like how you see so often now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Read through this thread and you will see a similar response.

Don't take it too hard; while many of us may not like the look you're considering, most of us will understand your desire to make your bike yours and support you in your journey. Good luck. Post pictures in due course.
 
Thread starter
Townie_imp said:
If it's the rather large tail light that you don't like, then member Chip Beck replaced it with a Lucas tail light. Tidy job.

Link here: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1073
Good thread. I definitely want to keep the fender. This is definitely on the right track. Thank you for linking this!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Cormanus_imp said:
jethrofelix_imp said:
Novice_imp said:
If you like it that’s all that matters, but that look is one of the reasons I have a CB. I personally don’t like the rear fender swing arm thing that so many bikes have now.
Thanks, I'm just wanting to explore my options. I was surprised to see how quick some were to voice their distaste for it.
I'm just trying to make mine a little different without going full blown cafe-racer style like how you see so often now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Read through this thread and you will see a similar response.

Don't take it too hard; while many of us may not like the look you're considering, most of us will understand your desire to make your bike yours and support you in your journey. Good luck. Post pictures in due course.

Read through [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14043]this thread and you will see a similar response.

Don't take it too hard; while many of us may not like the look you're considering, most of us will understand your desire to make your bike yours and support you in your journey. Good luck. Post pictures in due course. Oh, I'm not taking it personally at all! I support all of you having your opinions and value them.
If I do end up going with a change I'll be sure to post some pictures. I may hold off for a bit as riding season is just around the corner and I don't want to miss any of it...plus I'm a bit lazy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
JFX, did you end up pulling the trigger on a smaller Lucas tail light o the shorter rear fender from Samurider? I find myself asking...myself...the same questions as you did more than a year ago regarding exploring options to reduce the rear fender/tail light section of the bike. If you did make changes, would you mind updating with some pics if you haven’t already done so?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I personally do not like those solutions, and would not go that way. However clearly there are a number of people that like it given how so many bikes are being made this way.

Honda Switzerland made a limited edition of the CB1100RS like this so here you can get an idea of how it would look:

22b56c84c9dfe7b7a68cfa1c4d329ffc.jpg


20823a47db6300e4d662b65d55eeb800.jpg


cc489dd9776525f08e6dc48719f2aac6.jpg


5fb8641428a9100ef6fa7437272cf2cc.jpg
 
Man, that does not appeal to me at all. Guess I am getting old. Wait, not getting there, I AM THERE!
 
Most of y'all told me I was crazy when I said that I liked the new Suzuki Katana, which has the back bumper license holder.

So, call me crazy, but I like the look.

I'm sure I'd want to dump it the first time that it became an extra appendage that I had to deal with when I had to remove the rear wheel.
 
Henrik, I'm old and I think that looks great! Paint it silver and it gives the Thruxton a run for the money. Or, the gorgeous red on the '17 EX here in the States. I have not been a fan of those swingarm tag mounts at all, but this one works, IMO. If Honda ever sends the RS to the US, I'll have to get one to go along with my Black '14 Standard. Then I'll do whatever it takes to make it like this one.
 
Back
Top