Tail of the Dragon

Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
wassup David? Amos?
Amos heard I was going the be in the Smokies and graciously accepted my invitation to join me. He was very good on the Dragon, and gave you lots of props for teaching him about maintain a steady speed going into, thru and out of the turn. I have to admit on the return trip I followed him rather than leading and it was much more smooth, fun and not nearly as nerve wracking. My hands and handlebar grips thank you also.:clap:
 
So, my thoughts. I saw David's post from last week about being in Andrews NC and that one of his goals was to ride the Dragon. It's about 140 miles from my house, but I just haven't made it over there yet, so I thought this would be just the incentive I needed to go there, get the T-shirt, etc. I had planned first to ride over and back in one day. Then I got smarter and checked out a U-haul trailer (easier then loading onto my pick-up). My plan was still one day (Tues), but after riding the roads and enjoying his company, I decided to stay overnight and ride more on Wed.

On Tues, we did 74E to 129N, then did the Dragon both ways. Had lunch, then did 28S (Moonshiner) down to 143 back to Robinsville, and then back to Andrews on 129. Had just a little bit of drizzle on 143 and back to the hotel, but no real issues.

On Wed, we decide to head South of town. We did Junaluska Rd East to Aquone, then down 1310, which locals call "The Loafer". Then back to the hotel via 64W and 141N.

So, here's my "color commentary". First, this area is fantastic for riding! (and we only did a small fraction to the exploring we could have done with more time. Second, the Dragon is a "must-do" for a couple of reasons: getting the T-shirt; the professional photos; seeing all the bikes at Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, etc. But.... honestly, the Dragon didn't live up to what I had expected. Lots of curves, but not a lot of elevation change. And, there's always that fear of some "knee-dragger on a crotch rocket" coming into your lane from the other direction. In fact, IMHO, the county road 1310 was much more exciting - sharper curves (15mph), lots of elevation drop, switchbacks, etc, and near zero traffic! Even roads like Hwy 64 (55-60 mph) offered spectacular views and scenery in the unpopulated sections.

Dont' get me wrong...the Dragon should definitely be on your "bucket list", but my "Chamber of Commerce" message is to explore much more of this area than just the Dragon. I know that I'll be back again!

I'll post some pics when I get time to upload.
 
I didn't comment on weather and temps. Cloudy and overcast both days with some drizzle in the afternoon. On Wednesday we saw temps in mid 40s, so you needed warm jacket and pants. I don't think we saw even 70s in afternoons. Nice though.
 
Thread starter
Im heading out for my last ride, A Man the sun has broken thru and its close to 80 outside. It will be 72 to 85 during the day and in the 60s at night thru next Friday

A good hour of riding till 8 pm and it will still be light till 9 PM
I m headed out to the Lake Junaluska road we took yesterday.
 
Don't miss the Cherahala Skyway, also running out of Robbinsville, NC. Mile after mile of fast sweepers where you can see well ahead and amazing views all around.
 
Thread starter
I actually got to do the Cherahala on Wed afternoon, then road over to Maggie Valley on Thursday, seeing some great sites every day, including a family of Bigfoots, right by the edge of the road just west of Maggie Valley.

Good thing I was using my gopro or I never would have caught them.
I circled back by and blew my horn and they took off. They were actually elks, but they did have big feet.
 
Awesome sighting David. Eastern elk are hard to find.
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
I actually got to do the Cherahala on Wed afternoon, then road over to Maggie Valley on Thursday, seeing some great sites every day, including a family of Bigfoots, right by the edge of the road just west of Maggie Valley.

Good thing I was using my gopro or I never would have caught them.
I circled back by and blew my horn and they took off. They were actually elks, but they did have big feet.
Huh. I was riding the GTL around that area last September and had multiple bear cross the road in front of me. I didn't know I should have been watching out for elk too. Nice capture with the GoPro.
 
The A-man_imp said:
So, my thoughts. I saw David's post from last week about being in Andrews NC and that one of his goals was to ride the Dragon. It's about 140 miles from my house, but I just haven't made it over there yet, so I thought this would be just the incentive I needed to go there, get the T-shirt, etc. I had planned first to ride over and back in one day. Then I got smarter and checked out a U-haul trailer (easier then loading onto my pick-up). My plan was still one day (Tues), but after riding the roads and enjoying his company, I decided to stay overnight and ride more on Wed.

On Tues, we did 74E to 129N, then did the Dragon both ways. Had lunch, then did 28S (Moonshiner) down to 143 back to Robinsville, and then back to Andrews on 129. Had just a little bit of drizzle on 143 and back to the hotel, but no real issues.

On Wed, we decide to head South of town. We did Junaluska Rd East to Aquone, then down 1310, which locals call "The Loafer". Then back to the hotel via 64W and 141N.

So, here's my "color commentary". First, this area is fantastic for riding! (and we only did a small fraction to the exploring we could have done with more time. Second, the Dragon is a "must-do" for a couple of reasons: getting the T-shirt; the professional photos; seeing all the bikes at Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, etc. But.... honestly, the Dragon didn't live up to what I had expected. Lots of curves, but not a lot of elevation change. And, there's always that fear of some "knee-dragger on a crotch rocket" coming into your lane from the other direction. In fact, IMHO, the county road 1310 was much more exciting - sharper curves (15mph), lots of elevation drop, switchbacks, etc, and near zero traffic! Even roads like Hwy 64 (55-60 mph) offered spectacular views and scenery in the unpopulated sections.

Dont' get me wrong...the Dragon should definitely be on your "bucket list", but my "Chamber of Commerce" message is to explore much more of this area than just the Dragon. I know that I'll be back again!

I'll post some pics when I get time to upload.
I forgot about 1310/Wayha Rd this last trip, but I have ridden it before...great road....hard for me to find without GPS ;-)

Here is a screenshot of the more dramatic curves. The ride along the lake is nice!

Mscb1100, The A-man we'll have to ride that together next time I'm in that area!

d8090c8fc29fb69aa6298953603014f4.png


e12655bf6aed5dc8f27155e9a1b0cfb8.png
 
You did it, Mscb1100!
 
Back
Top