Table lift vs regular lift

I have an atv/motorcycle floor jack and can’t use it on the CB1100 due to how the exhaust is routed under the bike. In one of my recent posts I have an XR1200 on one. When able to use them on a bike they’re pretty handy for a lot of stuff if you don’t have the space for a table lift.
 
As others have pointed out, there is not much that cannot be done on the center stand. However, if you want to get both wheels off the ground at the same time, or pull the front wheel, pairing a Pitbull Hybrid Forklift Front Stand with the center stand is very secure at a very reasonable cost. Pit Bull - Hybrid Forklift - Motorcycle Front Stand [F0100A-100] The only time I have had to resort to other methods was pulling the front forks to install fork boots. In that case, I used the center stand plus a floor jack under the engine, with a wood block between the jack and engine.

A motorcycle lift may work with the standard CB1100, as it looks like the lift platform could could access and lay across both bottom frame rails from the left side of the bike. I dont think a lift will work with the Deluxe, EX, and RS models, because the twin exhaust sits lower than the frame rails. If any of the members have found that not to be correct, please feel free to correct me, as I am going by what I see and have not actually tried a lift on a twin exhaust model.
 
Speaking of "lifts" I was wondering how to get my bike on a bus? Now I know.
a5c7f5ff1226047a1118619f88042c9c.png


http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d7fc5062b023/MC.MP4

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I wonder how they determined who had the strongest head in the group.
 
I found a great alternative to a lift, considering my limited garage space.

Just made friends with someone who has one. Easy peasy. Plus, doing the work at someone else's place gives me access to better tools, and avoid's the wife's "When can I put my car back in the garage?" questions.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I found a great alternative to a lift, considering my limited garage space.

Just made friends with someone who has one. Easy peasy. Plus, doing the work at someone else's place gives me access to better tools, and avoid's the wife's "When can I put my car back in the garage?" questions.
You are right , what is the sense of having friends if you can not use them !
 
With the SW Motech crash bars installed it's easy to lift the bike for removing both wheels. A couple of jack stands are all that's needed.

207aa706a1df7c675d637f3f606d8a89.jpg


bc0bf793a87986befa3dc25dd47edf4a.jpg
 
It might be safer to get a proper PitBull rear and front stand for the CB 1100 . You can take wheels out AND also the front forks without risking that the bike will tip over. Front stands will work with a pin into the head stock.
 
I've used this setup many times and it is very stable. With most of the weight to the front, the two jack stands and the centerstand make a solid platform.
 
I hate working on the ground. The big advantage of a full-size lift is the height you can get a bike up to. I think the best are/were the Western Handi-Lifts (or US-made equivalent). They made both air and electric models.

For commercial use, the air was faster moving up and down with the big shop compressor. The electric was too slow if you are moving 10 bikes up/down a day, but fine for home, where the air model likely means you have to fire up the compressor.

The Harbor freight ones are fine for home use, not as wide a footprint as the Westerns, but they are a great value. BE SURE to use insert the locking bar, as I've seen some lose pressure overnight and crushed stuff stored underneath.

They have front casters that allow you to move it out out of the way even with a bike up on it, but not super steady. (I have an old Grazziani one from the '60s that these Harbor Freight ones are based on - it's noticeably beefier in all ways.)

The Kendon folding lifts are really nice if you don't have space, but I would recommend the heavy duty model. I have one of the sportbike/dirtbike ones loaned out to a friend (permanently it seems) that will hold 600 pounds.

The platform is too narrow to use the centerstand safely, and there's no space to put tools, or a big drain pan if you are taking side cases off. You have to put a jack under to lift the rear tire. No way to lift the front unless you roll the bike up backwards.
 
I had a Handy lift for many years and they are very well made . After buying the CB 1100's I found very little use for it and sold it to a local motor cycle shop mechanic.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I found a great alternative to a lift, considering my limited garage space.

Just made friends with someone who has one. Easy peasy. Plus, doing the work at someone else's place gives me access to better tools, and avoid's the wife's "When can I put my car back in the garage?" questions.
You are right , what is the sense of having friends if you can not use them !
You are right , what is the sense of having friends if you can not use them !
My BIL has a lift, but he lives 80 miles away. It takes some planning and execution skills to get something done, but it can work, if the project can be completed in a timely manner.
 
Back
Top