Ulvetanna_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

That was not my point, just that in the same powerplant configuration, Triumph gives us over 100 HP in the Thruxton, but a seriously detuned version in the Bonneville. I first thought perhaps the bike was a lot lighter than the CB1100 and they were seeking a power/weight ratio suitable for a more docile rider, but I noted that the bike actually weighs exactly the same as a CB1100 Standard, 540 pounds.The ferret_imp said:
Well "hell's bells" as my grandma used to say, here is what I said about the Triumph:Rocky_imp said:I just received my copy of Rider and read the Eagan story.
He certainly seems well satisfied with it - as would I.
I'm a bona fide old fart too and am well satisfied with the older Bonneville I already have. I suppose I could trade up, but don't feel the need - and another but - don't temp me![]()

I was in fact alluding to exactly those kinds of mods when I mentioned "five percent".Olyrider_imp said:Ulvetanna,
Looks like you aren't set up for Private Messages so I'll ask "out loud".
Have you installed a dyno-tuned Power Commander on your bike? I have one on mine and I can't overstate the difference it made. I also have the ECU re-flash but I think that is less noticeable. The Yoshimura full exhaust is certainly a weight savings and I love the sound it makes. The combination of the three is transformative. I know this is so because I have ridden my bike to the Honda store and then jumped on their unadorned standard. No comparison.
I know a few riders wish for sixth gear on the CBs. Even on the interstate, I only use 5th when I'm "settling in" for a slog. I'm happy in 4th. I've owned faster bikes but I will never be mature enough to ride them within the safety zone. I finally accepted that fact a few years ago.
I used to be a Triumph guy because that was the shop that was most fun to gather and ride. One of my favorites was my '98 Thunderbird Sport. The one I had to sell before it killed me was an '02 Speed Triple. I am enamored with the new Thruxton, but I eagerly await the Bobber arriving at the dealer. The reality is, however, that I am being influenced by appearances not function. My CB is clearly every bit as capable as those bikes. I just think they are sexier. But I am very happy on my Honda. Although I might have sold it quickly before the Power Commander!
My favorite Egan quote also. Glad to see his writings back in Cycle World. He and Cameron have always been the best reasons to take that magazine.The ferret_imp said:I've had a saying by Egan printed, framed and hanging next to my headboard for years
" what, of all things on earth, could possibly be more perfect than to have a motorcycle, and to wheel it out of the garage early on a Sunday morning, wipe it off with a rag, check the oil, ride quietly through town to warm it up, then go hurtling down an empty country road, listening to the engine and feeling the wind in your face"
sums it up quite nicely for me only if it were up to me, I would change "on a Sunday" to "every"


The ferret_imp said:I've had a saying by Egan printed, framed and hanging next to my headboard for years
" what, of all things on earth, could possibly be more perfect than to have a motorcycle, and to wheel it out of the garage early on a Sunday morning, wipe it off with a rag, check the oil, ride quietly through town to warm it up, then go hurtling down an empty country road, listening to the engine and feeling the wind in your face"
sums it up quite nicely for me only if it were up to me, I would change "on a Sunday" to "every"
I just love this.
Nothing wrong with that, I am sure you earned it and you can't take it with you. Go to town, make the last check you write bounce, I say.Roger the shrubber_imp said:I'm lucky and cursed at once, having a large motorcycle collection which keeps me busy (and single, I might add).
I have three CB1100s, a 2013 ABS, 2014 DLX, and 2014 Standard. Have to say I really love these bikes, but the T120 and Thruxton R I purchased last August have more character and are actually easier to ride, at least from my seat of the pants assessment.
On a twisty, winding loop that is a local rider's favorite in these parts, I find that I need to stir the gearbox on my CBs quite frequently to stay in the powerband sweet spot, while the T120 can be ridden through the same sections using only two gears. It has a great engine with a broad spread of torque and handles superbly. Triumph really did a remarkable job with this bike.
For what it's worth, the Thruxton R really doesn't feel that much faster, and I prefer the flat torque curve of the Bonneville.
[url=http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/domjoseph2070/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/IMG_20160810_210229.jpg.html]
Yep, exactly right, the CB1100 rides like the inline four it is. I like 'em all, love my twins but the I4 is my favorite engine in a bike.Roger the shrubber_imp said:I'm lucky and cursed at once, having a large motorcycle collection which keeps me busy (and single, I might add).
I have three CB1100s, a 2013 ABS, 2014 DLX, and 2014 Standard. Have to say I really love these bikes, but the T120 and Thruxton R I purchased last August have more character and are actually easier to ride, at least from my seat of the pants assessment.
On a twisty, winding loop that is a local rider's favorite in these parts, I find that I need to stir the gearbox on my CBs quite frequently to stay in the powerband sweet spot, while the T120 can be ridden through the same sections using only two gears. It has a great engine with a broad spread of torque and handles superbly. Triumph really did a remarkable job with this bike.
For what it's worth, the Thruxton R really doesn't feel that much faster, and I prefer the flat torque curve of the Bonneville.
[url=http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/domjoseph2070/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/20160801_124117_001_resized.jpg.html]
[url=http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/domjoseph2070/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/IMG_20160810_210229.jpg.html]![]()