Sym Wolf Classic 150 on the way.

Thread starter
I checked the charging system today. It came with basic, unsealed lead/acid battery which to me is a safety hazard and a problem waiting to happen. Gave it a charge from day one with a 1.1A NOCO Genius but I don't trust leaving it on any charger no matter how safe. I can hear it gurgling.

The charging system puts out a nice 13.2V at idle with the high beam on, which is a typical 55/60 H4. Gets up to about 13.8V at around 3K RPM. It spikes over 14V but then levels off. Looks like a very robust electrical system.

I ordered a Shorai LiFe battery today for about $100 along with a Battery Tender designed for LiFe batteries.

It just sorta looks like a real motorcycle.
[attachment=5715]
 
That fuel filter looks like it could be done better. I'm not liking that look.

You know Wolf, you are really pi***ing me off with that bike. Because now I WANT ONE!! :)
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That fuel filter looks like it could be done better. I'm not liking that look.

You know Wolf, you are really pi***ing me off with that bike. Because now I WANT ONE!! :)
lol, yep, there are few details I'll have to get after at some point. It's actually perfectly secure and seems to be of good quality.

The USA model uses a vacuum petcock but I believe overseas versions come with a regular on/off/res setup, and without the evaporative emissions and air injection.

Some owners have pulled all the emissions equipment off, but many have experienced hard running and poor idle performance, so I'm leaving it as it is. Runs just fine that way.

I'm getting more entertainment out of this thing than any bike I can recall so far. Just adjusting the chain is an education.
This thing really is built like a truck.
 
How did you buy the bike? From the distributor, then drop shipped to you?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
How did you buy the bike? From the distributor, then drop shipped to you?
No, dealer in SoCal. They delivered it, prepped. Scooter dealers tend to carry them out this way.
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
would love to have that engine for the mobility scooter i am building for myself .

These guys may know a source.
I noticed the kickstand does not have a safety switch. It has the mounting for the rubber piece Honda used years ago, so I bought all the parts needed to install that rubber piece for safety's sake. About $30.
 
Thread starter
Got this thing out and wound it up.

Man, when you figure out how to maintain momentum this bike hauls. Cornering speeds are stupid fast. Going 10 mph on average faster through tight sections than I would be on the CB1100, with probably the same lean angle.

Brakes and engine are breaking in nicely, I can feel more power in both. Revs easily to redline (9500 rpm) and the front brake can lift the rear tire anytime. Not too much initial bike, but big stopping power overall. That's just what we want in this kind of bike.

Forks seemed very sloppy but actually now I am used to the bike they are fine. The low power and weight does not create excessive pitching Shocks need more damping, not a lot, springs are actually pretty good. Might see if Racetech can revalve them, or just flat-out replace them with a custom set from Works along with new fork springs and oil.

Bike actually handles brilliantly, it rails in the tight turns. I am waiting to hit the peg down, they don't fold so I'm keep toes out just a bit. Rubber hits first, no peg feelers as such. This thing would just be stupid quick with higher pegs. Stock tires have endless grip, the bike is very light at 266 wet.

Steering is utterly neutral, on/off the front brakes. It loves being trailbraked into a turn, like the CB1100 there is zero tendency for the bike to stand up. The forks give very good feedback during this maneuver, surprisingly. No real flex.

So then I decided to take it on the freeway at about 3:30 this afternoon, plenty of traffic but it was moving. Rode about five miles, it zips right along but 65 mph is about it. It gets up there pretty quick, merging was no issue. You just don't play games, it has adequate power but fooling about is off the table. Very stable at 60 mph, no tendency to head shake or become wobbly. The 18" wheel does its job and there is plenty of rake and trail.

This bike is the ultimate training bike for road riding. Kenny Roberts uses XR100 dirt bikes at his ranch; this 150 is ideal for teaching smoothness of control inputs and keeping the engine on the boil to maintain momentum. You have to be very subtle with input, it turns like a bicycle, almost. Once you start to figure that out, a very quick pace is established. I had no problem at all keeping up with automobiles in the canyons where it was tight (30-50 mph).

A 30-mile ride on this bike feels like a 100-mile ride on the CB1100 but is much more fun. Honestly.
Kenny and KR Jr on the XR100s. Yep, these are 100cc bikes. This is what it's all about, motorcycle skills at their best and basic.

Buying the Wolf Classis is the most important motorcycle purchase I've ever made. I am going to begin downsizing across the board, one machine at a time.


 
Thread starter
The handlebars have two positions, one is closer and more angled, the other is wider and flatter.

I changed it up to the wide, flat position which was much better. Weight more forward, the suspension works very well, easier to control and be smooth.

This thing corners like the wind, just rails. Still did not touch a peg.

Encountered a guy on a Versys 1000 and we did a nice tailchase through the tight twisties. The weight and power doesn't help there, that was plain.

What is surprising is now the bars and controls are all set up, the bike actually has suspension that I would say is just as good, really probably better, than the stock suspension on the CB1100. This thing is very stable mid-corner at quick cornering speeds. One just needs a very light touch.

The bike is well-built and has truly impressive handling.
[attachment=5726]
 
Thread starter
Just checked, the gages on this bike have glass faces. Glass. Headlight bucket all chromed steel. Lot of nice pieces. This thing is actually a beautifully-made motorcycle, far more so than any other retro-classic I've seen. Ain't nothing fake on it neither.
 
Spotted on Instagram

c469122446b9539f3be2d18085c8b08c.jpg
 
Looks like it could be fun for a few months, then I'd probably tire of it. Not a long term solution anyway. 10 years from now ( heck, probably 40 years if the past CBs are any indication ) the CBs will still be going strong and the Wolf will be in a landfill.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Looks like it could be fun for a few months, then I'd probably tire of it. Not a long term solution anyway. 10 years from now ( heck, probably 40 years if the past CBs are any indication ) the CBs will still be going strong and the Wolf will be in a landfill.
I get that it's not going to be the right bike for some folks and that you'd tire quickly of it. But tell me more about your knock on its durability (or reliability?) or whatever leads you to think it'd end up in a landfill.

It doesn't strike me that way. Seems well built (SYM built the original CB125s under contract for Honda for years) and is now improved with modern updates like a disc brake, CDI ignition and a bright halogen headlight.

Is it the high revs the little one-lunger must endure? The original Honda design is a paragon of simplicity and has proven to be extremely durable and reliable. A mild state of tune and a ceramic-coated cylinder promise ruthless durability—even beyond the original CB125.

Seems like for the right owners, whether their only bike, or as a unique machine in the portfolio of an enthusiast, it would find a lot of love, rather than be headed for the landfill.
 
Well, I'm not looking that hard at it because I'm not buying one, but things I've seen owners report are- waiting three months for a replacement speedometer and finally having the dealer take one off another bike because it didn't arrive. Vibration problems with the handlebars, the kick starter, the turn signals. Improperly shielded clutch cable that got sliced. Turn signal switches not working.

Plus, there's supposedly only one U.S. importer. What happens if he goes out of business or loses interest in the brand? You're not going to be able to call Bike Bandit or David Silver for parts if the official importer's supply dries up. In any event, I bet you couldn't get parts for it in 10 years no matter what happens.
 
A small dealer network is one of the reasons I won't buy a Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, KTM, or a Moto Guzzi, no matter how good their bikes are. Just something that is important to me, even if I don't use them very often. I learned that lesson the few times I needed my Triumph dealer and from trailering my son's Ducati to and from the nearest Duc dealer hours from our house. As a matter of fact with a Honda/Yamaha dealer with a mechanic I trust within 10 miles of my house, I'd be hard pressed to buy anything other than a Honda or Yamaha.
 
Thanks, Classic. That helps me understand your conclusion. I'm not in the market, either, so not motivated to research too hard, but I've seen mostly positive reviews and low cost fixes for odd issues like the signals and switches. The popularity & urban utility of single cylinder bikes, both new and classic, that I see around here bodes well for the future of this bike, so I'd come to a different conclusion, but I understand now how you come to yours. Thx for clarifying!
 
NP Rolls. I'm only stating what the owners have said. I have nothing against the bike personally, sorry if I sounded like a hater, I do hope they get the issues sorted out.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
No chance of the CB1100 going up for sale, that's a keeper at present. I can't think of any good reason to let it go other than if something strange happens.

The Wolf Classis is going to be for me to play with, it's really and truly a 1970's-technology machine. It was a lot less money than either the BMW G310R or the Kawi Z750; the G310R would have lost huge value in the first week and provided very little recompense in terms of being a "keeper" with a high-value reward factor per ride. I calculated the Z750 would be doing little more than duplicating what my F800GS and FZ8 already do, and much better.

There's just enough space to tuck it into the garage without having to let any other bikes go. It'll do very, very well in the tight urban environment here in SoCal; I see these quite often, zipping through the canyons and boulevards.

The fork is extremely soft and the shocks are not too good (about as soft as the CB1100s to be honest) but I can correct that stuff very easily. There is a huge aftermarket for these, they are crazy popular in Asia, and also in burgs like Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, and other "Hipster" enclaves where they're considered very cool but "earth-friendly" transpo.

It's got an H4 headlight so should be fairly visible, and could be ridden off-road or on the sidewalk rather easily should the need arise! Makes a great pit bike, or something to hang on the back of the RV, too.

Sometimes you just don't want to have to muscle all that heavy bike around.:thumbsup:
The ferret_imp said:
Birds it's basically a CB 125 bumped to 150cc. 15 hp, 9 ft lbs torque, 65 mph top speed claimed.

Motorcycle Classics ( which I subscribe to) tested one awhile back. They said it was a nice little bike.
Exactly, made under license from Honda in Taiwan. Apparently very reliable, they are used for basic transpo every day over there. This is actually considered a pretty big bike by their standards.
Flynrider_imp said:
That's a great looking little bike! I'm amazed that with carbs and an 80s era electronic ignition that it manages to pass current California C.A.R.B. standards.

I like it!

I'm kinda partial to the red/white scheme :

123001a5376553f71989bdd3ea2dbf23.jpg
Yep, I liked that one too, but the all-red was a better match to the CB1100 so I went with that.

It should bring back a lot of the experiences of working on and riding something very simple,with just enough power to get around. A lot of narrow roads and hills around here, should be about right for a trip to the store for a quart of milk, or a spin to the coffee house for an espresso.

85 mpg, too, lol
One other thing I should have mentioned straightaway, it is a great training bike, would not hesitate to take this thing off road as far as dirt roads and just lock up the back, pitch it around, and so on. Long as there aren't any bad bumps it may as well be a Scrambler.

This bike has full-size wheels, 18" front/17" rear so it's going to handle roads pretty well, I should think.
Famous last words.
 
Sym Classic; It looks nice and my '74 Kami 80 did too.



Made in Thailand with the same motor as the Hodaka. It was too inexpensively built. "Looked" like a dirt bike. The fuel petcock leaked like crazy. Just weeped out as I rode and dripped onto the motor. Also bogged like crazy and had a top end hit, if you can call it that. My brother pushed it off a railroad bridge along the side of the tracks when he got sick of the suspension doing nothing. - Having said that, as long as you enjoy the Sym. My test ride was too scary in traffic; "This thing is going to kill me". In the countryside maybe.
 
Back
Top