Sym Wolf Classic 150 on the way.

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just bought this, truly a progenitor of the CB1100:

2016 Wolf Classic 150, 15 horsepower/266 lbs. Kick start and a carburetor. It truly is the real deal, not retro styling, actually made in a Taiwanese factory under license from Honda. Even has the fork boots standard, as well as a centerstand (removed for the photo session), huge front disk and a stainless steel brake line.

[attachment=5673]
 
Pretty little bike. What are you going to do with it?
 
That's a great looking little bike! I'm amazed that with carbs and an 80s era electronic ignition that it manages to pass current California C.A.R.B. standards.

I like it!

I'm kinda partial to the red/white scheme :

123001a5376553f71989bdd3ea2dbf23.jpg
 
Birds it's basically a CB 125 bumped to 150cc. 15 hp, 9 ft lbs torque, 65 mph top speed claimed.

Motorcycle Classics ( which I subscribe to) tested one awhile back. They said it was a nice little bike.
 
Thread starter
No chance of the CB1100 going up for sale, that's a keeper at present. I can't think of any good reason to let it go other than if something strange happens.

The Wolf Classis is going to be for me to play with, it's really and truly a 1970's-technology machine. It was a lot less money than either the BMW G310R or the Kawi Z750; the G310R would have lost huge value in the first week and provided very little recompense in terms of being a "keeper" with a high-value reward factor per ride. I calculated the Z750 would be doing little more than duplicating what my F800GS and FZ8 already do, and much better.

There's just enough space to tuck it into the garage without having to let any other bikes go. It'll do very, very well in the tight urban environment here in SoCal; I see these quite often, zipping through the canyons and boulevards.

The fork is extremely soft and the shocks are not too good (about as soft as the CB1100s to be honest) but I can correct that stuff very easily. There is a huge aftermarket for these, they are crazy popular in Asia, and also in burgs like Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, and other "Hipster" enclaves where they're considered very cool but "earth-friendly" transpo.

It's got an H4 headlight so should be fairly visible, and could be ridden off-road or on the sidewalk rather easily should the need arise! Makes a great pit bike, or something to hang on the back of the RV, too.

Sometimes you just don't want to have to muscle all that heavy bike around.:thumbsup:
The ferret_imp said:
Birds it's basically a CB 125 bumped to 150cc. 15 hp, 9 ft lbs torque, 65 mph top speed claimed.

Motorcycle Classics ( which I subscribe to) tested one awhile back. They said it was a nice little bike.
Exactly, made under license from Honda in Taiwan. Apparently very reliable, they are used for basic transpo every day over there. This is actually considered a pretty big bike by their standards.
Flynrider_imp said:
That's a great looking little bike! I'm amazed that with carbs and an 80s era electronic ignition that it manages to pass current California C.A.R.B. standards.

I like it!

I'm kinda partial to the red/white scheme :

123001a5376553f71989bdd3ea2dbf23.jpg
Yep, I liked that one too, but the all-red was a better match to the CB1100 so I went with that.

It should bring back a lot of the experiences of working on and riding something very simple,with just enough power to get around. A lot of narrow roads and hills around here, should be about right for a trip to the store for a quart of milk, or a spin to the coffee house for an espresso.

85 mpg, too, lol
One other thing I should have mentioned straightaway, it is a great training bike, would not hesitate to take this thing off road as far as dirt roads and just lock up the back, pitch it around, and so on. Long as there aren't any bad bumps it may as well be a Scrambler.

This bike has full-size wheels, 18" front/17" rear so it's going to handle roads pretty well, I should think.
 
One of my favorite bikes was a SL 125 that I put a crank from a 175 in plus the carb and ported and polished the head - called it "the green weenie". My first frankenbike.

I thoroughly enjoy small displacement road bikes, an absolute pleasure to ride. Love the light weight and fast handling, doing the speed limit on a small bike is more fun than twice the speed limit on a more powerful bike. Well, close anyway.
 
I certainly didn't see that coming! But, I like it... a lot. I've always liked small bikes.

(In college I rode up and down the east coast (NJ-FL-NJ) on a 17hp, single cylinder 1980 KZ250 LTD. 7,000 rpm at 70mph. I loved it, though I'm certainly not recommending it, and I'm in no way inclined to do it again. Of course, I-95 was 55mph back then. The Sym is certainly a much nicer bike.)

You'll have a ton of fun riding that and a ton more thoughtfully tweaking it for your riding preferences. Great choice. Enjoy!
 
Thread starter
I forgot to mention I have a friend who is just getting the permit and taking the California CMSP training program; going to be lending the bike out and helping with the learning process there, doing rides together and such. It's a great bike to loan out to a buddy for a ride, and frankly just to put on miles, being as my driveway is very steep and off-camber, it makes the process a lot easier. The area I live is just perfect for a bike this size (long as I stay off the freeway).

Got a nice magnetic tank bag, it'll be great for heading to the coffee house, we have a lot of these high-falutin' espresso places full of millenials, they go ape over bikes like the Wolf. Wolf, yeah, that has a nice ring to it lol

Basically it's gonna keep me in the saddle more and give a couple of friends of mine something to ride as well.

I was thinking about the whole package, the drum rear brake, carburetor, air-cooled single, spoke wheels, it's just simple motorcycling, what the heck, right?
Forgot to mention my dad rode a Jawa 350 2-smoke cross-country in the 1960s, he was a college professor (philosophy, what else?), NY to CA. Very romantic but in the end he hung out too much with Alan Watts and Timothy Leary and the Grateful Dead, etc. (lived in Haight-Ashbury) and it got to him. Guess that area is now also full of hip millenials trying to recreate the "Summer of Love" or something, my niece lives there, thinks it is so cool...lol
 
Cool little bike, I think there is room in everyone's garage for something like that. I've been considering one of those CSC TT 250's, delivered to your door for $2195. If not for anything other than the look on my wife's face for me having a big box filled with a motorcycle left in my driveway!
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
Cool little bike, I think there is room in everyone's garage for something like that. I've been considering one of those CSC TT 250's, delivered to your door for $2195. If not for anything other than the look on my wife's face for me having a big box filled with a motorcycle left in my driveway!
Yeah, they're actually gonna deliver it, no charge. Nice. I think in part it helps them avoid liability since it's a bike often sold to new riders. They offered to include a helmet along with the bike, no extra charge.
 
I rode it and it was downright dangerous. Wooden brakes. No power. Clunky tranny. It was fun but I did not trust it in traffic in Boston. Looks really nice though.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Is this bike freeway legal in CA (> 15 hp)? Or does that law no longer apply?
For the fwy I have some other bikes that are a little quicker.:D
VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED [100 - 681] ( Division 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
405.
A “motor-driven cycle” is any motorcycle with a motor that displaces less than 150 cubic centimeters. A motor-driven cycle does not include a motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406.
(Amended by Stats. 1995, Ch. 342, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 1996.)

So it looks to me like it's technically illegal but arguable. "Look, officer, it says 150 on the side cover."

Basically if you are impeding traffic you'll get pulled over but the bike looks big enough visually to not get undue attention.
 
My friend is thinking about getting one of these. He lives in L.A. too with an all side streets commute. Curious to see what you make of it!
 
Thread starter
c-breezy_imp said:
My friend is thinking about getting one of these. He lives in L.A. too with an all side streets commute. Curious to see what you make of it!
I will let everyone know; it's very cheap to insure, I can tell ya that.
 
Back
Top