Switching handlebars

3rdbike_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Yippee!! The handlebars and grips came today, so I'll be in the shop tomorrow changing handlebars. I really like using the 'search' function of this forum, I can read up on something and keep from going "where no man has gone before". So I'm aware of the trick handlebar weights Honda incorporated in the oem bars and other details. I think I'll try the new bars w/o the weights first, and if need be, follow instructions found here to install the oem weights.

I'm changing handlebars to keep my wrists happy. The stock bars would be fine if they had another 2" of drop at the grips. As it is, the bars make my wrists feel angled upward at the outside, and if I stay on the bike long enough, that ol' carpal tunnel will flare up. The bars I'll install are Flanders "7/8" Flat Medium Tall Bar". I have an identical h/bar on my ol' Guzzi 850 T3, they are perfect for me.

Here's some pix of the bar, don't know if you'll be able to discern anything tho. Bars are hard to photograph to convey shape and angle and such.

60d145e47c029654f358151b4f988c11.jpg


3e1d0ab5942d80674fd4326a2ec1e7fe.jpg


f69931a33d4cfc00ebe28392e556f66f.jpg


ded8462325f57e87c0a22c677dcf6bf1.jpg


The angle of the grip is such that the bar will be tipped forward, placing my hands a little lower than stock and prolly 2" forward, so that I'll lean in to the bars, and the wind.
 
Yep, that's definitly a different bend from the stock bars. Interesting. Hope they work out for you. Also looking forward to the pics.
 
I too found the stock bars an odd angle. Switched em out for a bar off another Honda that has more pull back and is a little wider.

I'm interested to see your progress.
 
Thread starter
No progress to show yet, I'm doing all the prep details 1st.

It was probably my years on H-D and their oversized controls, cuz I like a big grip. My all time favorite grip is the Grand Touring USA grip, but alas, they're NLA. I've found another grip that has the same profile and a similar rubber compound: Biltwell Renegade. But, I won't recommend them to anyone. These *&$^ idiots make the hole to go over the bar and throttle sleeve the same size! Yeah, 7/8" on both sides. I sent the first pair right back! I was able to get an ebay seller to actually look at the hole size on another pair; yep, 7/8" both grips. He sent a link to Biltwell's site and a video on how to install. They use WD40 and compressed air to get the right grip on. Well, that's great, but you'll have the right grip being stretched over the throttle tube and being larger in diameter than the left.

So I'm 'hogging' one grip out to an 'nth' smaller than 1". Takes time....

I'll take before and after pix to try to show the difference in angle and reach.
 
Thread starter
Here's a photo of the suspect Biltwell grips, with an old pair of motorcycle grips at bottom to demonstrate the difference in diameter the throttle side grip should have:

9e4e07ce6dee4c8920f5538ed6daf4db.jpg
 
Wow that's dedication to a particular grip brand! Given the number of available choices for normal motorcycle grip sizes I don't know if I would put up with that!
 
Thread starter
I just really really like this grip shape, it's the closest I've found to the old Grand Touring. Otherwise I'd move on....
 
Thread starter
Nice warm day here, so the garage was tolerable. Got started on the h/b change. Everything went smoothly, so I'll let some pix do the talking:

1dc8023dc257784a25c99d953a9c2279.jpg


a plumb bob from the bar end to show the amount of pull back of stock bar.

deef4c4dbf0977aff8b31b0d7316469c.jpg


left side controls can be split and directly removed from the bar, instead of sliding them off the end. Controls hung in place, no flopping or banging around during switch. Right side controls loose and ready to have h/b pulled out from them vs. sliding them off the end of the bar.

8d12a984788e1e581cb49ecce0252ba5.jpg


Look Ma, no bars!

971eddf2263ce1be192533e2c12ec273.jpg


pic to show difference in bend. Stock bar on top, Flanders on bottom. Not a fair representation tho. Stock bar tilts back quite a bit to bring grips down, Flanders bar will tip forward quite a bit to bring grips up. This will let me lean into the bars without losing much for height.

Hope to finish tomorrow. Hafta drill holes for the locating pin in the controls. I'm scheming on using the stock bar ends and my favorite CRG bar end mirror on the left, and a throttle lock mechanism on the right.
 
Good start...measure twice, drill once lol
 
Thread starter
Finally finished the switch tonite, but too late for a test/shakedown run. Everything turned out the way I wanted, the cables and hoses fit just fine with the new bars, no stretching or rerouting needed. I chose not to use Honda's clever internal vibration damper, but still used the stock bar ends. The Flanders bar is made of good stuff, quite heavy by itself, so we'll see how it is on the road. If my next post is really blurry, you'll know something is wrong! Now for some pix:

475faee6e7e3b9b66cc7f9592427ae09.jpg


Please refer to previous pic of gas tank and plumb bob. The bar change moved the grips forward a good three inches.

c3c032664c3cfcb425e264a97c5d70d0.jpg


Want to cut a perfectly round hole in the end of a grip? Make this tool from a piece of pipe of a diameter that is a snug fit inside the grip. Use a file the sharpen the edge of the pipe a little. Insert into grip and hammer it through. Viola!

7d0f45f53e7717aaf0a04c116f877f67.jpg


7bcd2e6c24df5a607b7eaf941c87bd86.jpg


This is my mod to use the stock bar ends w/o the rest of the vibration damper system.

d9f725bf9c722e76a7ee36adf2bf65e2.jpg


That 'step-down' in diameter on the bar end will not fit into the bar. I made use of the space for a bar-end CRG mirror on the left, and my "50cent cruise control" on the right which uses O-rings to create enough friction to hold the throttle open but not so much that I can't turn the throttle easily. Again, more Harley habit.

f6ba8c86fcd9fdb6e5b4f870f14c9124.jpg


The finished product from the saddle. Bar is narrow at the center, just a 1/2" to spare at the clamps.

c778c00b868dcc7925d6dd1c9e8a596c.jpg


left side and bar end mirror.

3c86ad07dc58eec8c7e801ffffc21466.jpg


front view

7077229e8a11843210465654612f6f82.jpg


from the side. This shows the forward tip of the bar the best, and the drop at the grips. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but my wrists are happy!!
 
Cool. That's certainly a different look. As long as you are happy. Here's hoping the test ride and subsequent rides prove you made the right choice.

Reminds me a lot of Brit bikes late 60's early 70's
 
It is a different look. I'll be interested to hear how you find it. But, if it solves your discomfort, it will be well worth it.
 
Thread starter
A short test ride today was very satisfying. I had 'nailed' the positioning of the bar, levers, switch housings and mirror during assembly. Now the CB feels like my bike. I have my ol' Guzzi T3 set up with the same bars which work very well for me, so I was confident in my choice of the same bar for the CB. Yes Ferret, this bar was popular on the Brit bikes for decades. The 'bend' has been around for a long time.
It puts me in that classic 'European' riding position. The CB's pegs are positioned perfectly under me, I ride on the balls of my feet (for corner clearance) and with this bar, I lean forward into the wind. It's a balanced riding position: weight distributed between feet, butt, arms and chest and the wind. Wind noise in the helmet is less. I can crouch down out of strong winds comfortably with the grips still out ahead of me. Because of the drop and angle, I sometimes think of this bar as 'tall' clip-ons.
I've ridden many a long mile on my ol' T3 with my brother-in-law, he rides a Harley dresser, and can't understand how I can stand to ride a motorcycle with just a "banana seat" and no windshield! :-/

Oh, I nearly forgot....again! I was half way into my test ride today before I remembered to check for vibration in the bar/grips. There wasn't any. I think the set-up will be fine. But then I used to ride a 441 Victor, and a Sportster.

No "skinny" posts from me, Ferret!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cool. That's certainly a different look. As long as you are happy. Here's hoping the test ride and subsequent rides prove you made the right choice.

Reminds me a lot of Brit bikes late 60's early 70's

Just saw the picture of the bars installed. First thought was looks like an old Schwinn bicycle. :D
 
Back
Top