Switches...switched

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
For me the 14 DLX is nearly prefect. Just one flaw that has caused me much consternation. Honda in it's infinite wisdom after years of having one left switch layout, turn signal switch in the middle, horn button on the bottom (like my two other bikes which I alternately ride) decided all of a sudden to reverse the location of the turn signal and horn buttons. Any given day may have me riding any given bike. Hopping from bike to bike, has got my muscle memory all messed up. I go to indicate a turn and blow the horn, or go to blow the horn and " cancel" the turn signals that weren't even on. Just today after washing the CB I stopped at a buddy's house about 6 miles up the road. Pull into his drive and see the garage open so I tooted the t/s switch to let him know I was there......arrgghhh

So this afternoon I went over to my brothers house and we swapped out the stock L/H switch for a 2013 L/H switch.

Stock 14 CB 1100 DLX L/H switch. ( horn in middle)



Stock 06 ST 1300 Switch (horn on bottom)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/switchescb14003_zpsace8d6b5.jpg.html]

14 CB 1100 Deluxe with 13 CB 1100 L/H switch (horn on bottom)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/switchescb14017_zpse34c06c6.jpg.html]

NOW... It IS perfect :thumbsup: lol

BTW it was pretty much plug and play OTHER THAN again Honda, in their infinite wisdom, moved the locator pin in the switches, and we had to drill a new hole in the bars for the switch locator pin on the 13 switch. All in all I am very happy with the mod.

Thanks again to Elipten who fortunately for me decided he liked the 14 switch layout better, so replaced the switch on his 13 with a new one from a 14 and had a 13 switch left over. :worship:
 
Nice job Ferret. Well done.
 
Ferret, thanks for the photos & write up. It's odd that Honda would have different controls and then need to have two different handlebars. Must be some sort of compliance thing or ? Once I put a few hours on mine... might need to revert back to your thread for a swap. Thanks again!
 
gary_imp said:
Does the '13 have the flash to pass trigger? Also, when do you use this function?
Yup.
 
Gary, the flash to pass trigger is used for rigging up a garage door opener, which also happens to be called Flash2Pass. Go figure. When I'm out on the road I never think of that trigger being there.
 
I used that flash to pass trigger when I was coming up to an intersection to get any cagers attention that I was coming in case they wanted to try and turn in front of me. Several times I got them to stop as soon as they saw me flash my lights so they waited for me.

And yes it was a standard item on the 2013 model also.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
ENOUGH!

I tried to get used to the 2014 horn in the center and turn signal on the bottom switch arrangement, but just can't get used to it.

Went for a ride today and needed to warn a car that was pulling out in front of me too close, but instinctively hit the turn signal switch instead of the horn... this is getting dangerous.

I own two other Honda's, a 2009 ST1300 and 2000 VFR800, which both have the conventional horn on the bottom and turn signal in the center.

Ordered the 2013 switch and screws today.
 
Smart move to standardize your controls. What I don't like about the new controls is that when I make a slow speed 180 turn my tank bag hits the horn button startling me while I am concentrating on the maneuver.

Changing between my Hondas and my BMW is a real tricky adjustment. And then having my two CB1100 with different controls was maddening, so Ferret and I did a swap. Now we are both happy riders.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Very cool mod :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting.
I have the same problem as I bounce between the 900F, Bonneville and the CB.
I have to do more thinking about it when I'm on the CB.
When I first got the CB it really annoyed me, but I got used to it I suppose and don't find it quite so annoying.
But I'm going to check on the cost of the '13 switch :D
 
The switches on the most post-2012 look new Hondas (not carryover models) have the horn in the middle, just like Ducatis and Guzzis have had for years. Maybe it's a worldwide standard, since they sell many more bikes in Europe and England.
After 40 years of riding, I'll never get used to it, and the reason I sold my Guzzis.
There's enough distraction in riding than to have to think about it, especially in tense circumstances.

It will be interesting to see which way they go when they redesign the Gold Wing - the internet will just light up!
 
When I got my '13 CB11 I was amazed to find that the control pods were identical to my 20 yr. old CB750. Piece of cake! I was really surprised that Honda decided to change that on the '14 models.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
The switches on the most post-2012 look new Hondas (not carryover models) have the horn in the middle, just like Ducatis and Guzzis have had for years. Maybe it's a worldwide standard, since they sell many more bikes in Europe and England.
After 40 years of riding, I'll never get used to it, and the reason I sold my Guzzis.
There's enough distraction in riding than to have to think about it, especially in tense circumstances.

It will be interesting to see which way they go when they redesign the Gold Wing - the internet will just light up!
I think pekingduck hit the nail on the head. Even though "we" may think the U.S. market drivers the Japanese motorcycle designers, the reality is that the motorcycle market today is a world wide business and the U.S. market is just a small slide in the world wide pie.
 
Ferret, the key words you used were "muscle memory". Horn and indicators are not the sort of thing you need to have to take time in deciding how to operate. Anyway, all fixed. Well done mate.

Cheers
 
Got my switch! :banana: Yes, the donut came with the switch (screws we extra).


Here's some trivia for those of you that are wondering why the 2013 has a donut...
Many moons ago, when motorcycles had carburetors, the donut was actually the manual chock lever, as you can see, grasshopper, from the threaded chock cable hole in the bottom of the 2013 CB1100 switch.
As ferret pointed out, the donut is not available as a seperate service part, so, if one had a need for a donut, one could order a manual chock lever from an earlier year (e.g. 17962-MN8-003) and simply hack off the arm.


TINK
 
Thread starter
Tink make sure you put the right length screw in the right hole. I wasn't paying attention and when I ran the screw in I dimpled the switch out. Felt the resistance and stopped before poking a hole though.

also locator pin need to be redrilled. Measure twice. It's strange. Test put the switch on the bar and the bar end, and hold the grip up there for length and then put tape marking where the switch sits. I'm sure you will figure it out. I drilled mine wrong the first time.
 
Good to know, ferret.
Hope to have time today to install the switch.
For reference, my 2000 VFR has the same switch, minus the PASS button.
I'll report back on my efforts.
 
And I thought this was going to be sooooo easy....

I manage to break the headlight bulb while installing the new switch. Here's what happened:

I pull off the forward headlamp assembly from the housing and start pulling on the plug to unplug the headlight.
I pull, and I pull, and I pull some more... Hmmmmmm. It's stuck, I tell myself.
I pull so hard I'm stressing the retainer clip that holds the bulb into the housing, so, I remove the bulb from the housing being careful not to touch the glass element.
I start pulling again and wouldn't you know it, the bulb slips out of my fingers and the glass portion of the bulb snaps off. Time for a few choice word, quite a few choice words. Grrrrrrrr...

I have the Honda OEM shop manual, and before I got to this stage I looked in section 19 for some insight as to why the plug will not release from the bulbs connector blades. Hmmmmm, nothing there.
By dumb luck, I finally figured out that you have to squeeze the sides of the plug to release the locking pins inside the plug that index into the holes on the bulbs blades.
REALLY! The Honda OEM shop manual fails to mention this step, REALLY!
I pencil a note into my Honda OEM shop manual about this and moved on...

Now, I'm not a newbie mechanic, and I've have recent experience unplugging a Honda headlamp bulb, but this is the first time I've encountered a Honda headlight plug with internal locking tabs.

So that was a $30 lesson. Off to the Honda dealer for a new headlight bulb I go. D'oh!
 
Thanks Tink,

I added that note to my service manual. Maybe you saved me $30 someday!!! :)
 
Back
Top